Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperium Romanum - Roman Civil War Mod (Based on DBM)

KEA's Avatar Senator

Default Imperium Romanum - Roman Civil War Mod (Based on DBM)

Imperium Romanum
    The Roman Civil War Mod
    (based on DBM)

Introduction
    This mod is a standalone version of DBM. It features 14 scenarios ranging from 88 BC to 275 AD:

01: Marius vs. Sulla

02: Pompey the Great
    03: The First Triumvirate
    04: Caesar vs. Pompey
    05: Veni Vidi Vici
    06: The Triumvirs vs. the Liberators
    07: The Second Triumvirate
    08: Octavian vs. Antony
    09: The Year of the Four Emperors
    10: The Year of the Five Emperors
    11: The Year of the Six Emperors
    12: Philippus vs. Decius
    13: The Year of the Three Emperors
    14: The Crisis of the Third Century

Time Frame, Periods and Factions
    Each scenario covers only a short period in history, sometimes just a year. The time-scale is 12 turns per year, so time is limited. The time frame is broken up into 3 ‘Periods’. Period 1 covers the scenarios 1 and 2, Period 2 the scenarios 2 to 8, and Period 3 the following scenarios. The Periods define things like city development, Romanization, and most importantly recruitment. The major change is from Period 2 to Period 3 (‘Post-Augustan’). In the early Periods your Auxilia are local units, which gives you a broader range of units but also causes logistical problems (you cannot retrain “German Auxilia” in Egypt for example). In Period 3 your Auxilia is uniform, what allows you to recruit and to retrain them in every corner of the Empire, but also limit your choices in light infantry and cavalry.

In a scenario there are Major Factions and Minor Factions. Only Major Factions are playable. These are usually the Roman civil war factions plus occasional foreign factions that play a key role, for example Parthia in Scenario 03. But in general, is this a Roman-centered mod, so don’t expect too much foreign factions to be playable. Minor Factions are not playable factions. These represent lesser states that did play some role in the Roman conflict, for example as Roman allies, as victims to Roman expansions, or as a nuisance you have to deal with.

up to five playable Roman factions!

Factional Moral and Dissolution
    Each faction has a certain “Factional Moral Index”. The starting moral is defined by the script of the respective scenario and is usually ranging around 100. A faction can gain or lose moral when winning or losing battles, upon the destruction of armies, when provinces are conquered or lost. The Factional Moral Index is given as a trait that every general has. This trait gives him a bonus/malus in Troop Moral and Unrest, independently of his personal qualities as a general or governor. It also affects the loyalty of your generals. The levels are:

Poor Moral (Factional Moral below 25)
    Weak Moral (Factional Moral between 25 and 74)
    Good Moral (Factional Moral between 75 and 124)
    Perfect Moral (Factional Moral above 125)

Once a faction’s moral drops below 0 it will dissolve. This means it will surrender all its possessions to another faction (Roman faction usually surrender to other Roman factions whereas foreign factions usually surrender to the slaves). As a result, you don’t have to conquer each village and kill every family member of an opposing faction. Inflicting some crushing defeats and taking a handful of provinces can do to break their necks. On the other hand, that faction doesn’t have to surrender to you. You might as well have strengthened another opponent that way.

Octavian vs. Antony

Civil War Leaders
    Civil War factions usually have one or more Civil War Leaders. These are not to be confused with the M2TW faction leader (even though it usually is one and the same person on game start). A Civil War leader is defined by a special ancillary (‘Dux’). This ancillary can neither be transferred nor be acquired by other characters. A Civil War Faction that has lost all its leaders can no longer prevail and will undergo Factional Dissolution (see above).

Rome, Grain and Roman Offices
    Holding Rome can offer you a couple of advantages:
    The faction that is holding Rome gets 2 extra moral points each turn. Conquering Rome gives you another 18 moral points – losing Rome will cost you 18 points in return.
    Even in civil war times, Rome is considered the seat of the lawful Roman government, last but not least because of the Senate. So Roman factions, and sometimes also client kingdoms, usually surrender to the faction that is holding Rome (if possible). Senatorial offices can also only be acquired by a faction that also holding Rome. Senatorial offices are:

Period 1 & 2
    Consul (I)
    Consul (II)
    Proconsul Africae
    Proconsul Asiae
    Proconsul Gallia Cisalpina
    Propraetor Gallia Narbonensis
    Propraetor Hispania citerior
    Propraetor Hispania ulterior
    Propraetor Macedonia
    Propraetor Sardinia & Corsica
    Propraetor Sicilia
    Propraetor Bithyniae
    Propraetor Ciliciae & Cypri
    Propraetor Illyriae
    Propraetor Syriae

Period 3
    Proconsul Africae
    Proconsul Asiae
    Propraetor Gallia Narbonensis
    Propraetor Sardinia & Corsica
    Propraetor Sicilia
    Propraetor Macedonia
    Propraetor Bithyniae
    Propraetor Achaeae
    Propraetor Cretae & Cyrene
    Propraetor Cypri
    Propraetor Baeticae

In order to acquire a provincial office your character has to be inside the respective province and your faction has to hold Rome. Once your faction has acquired a certain office it can be transferred to any other character. Only when one holder dies a new acquisition is required via Rome.
    Additionally there are seven Imperial Offices in Period 3:

Praefectus Urbi
    Praefectus Praetorio
    Praefectus Aegypti
    and 4x Legatus Augusti

The legates can be appointed by any Roman faction. The Urban (i.e. Roman) and the Egyptian Prefect can be appointed in the respective provinces. Praetorian Prefect cannot be appointed. The office is granted on game start.

Holding Rome is also holding a great responsibility. That is, you are responsible for feeding the citizens of Rome. In peace times, this is not much of a problem because with Sicily, Sardinia and Africa Province there are three ‘granaries’ right across the sea. Things become more complicated in civil wars because Roman governors do not hold back from starving Rome herself in order to bring a rival into trouble. In order to secure Rome’s supply you have to control five corn exporting cities. The corn exporting cities are:

Syracusae
    Lilybaeum
    Caralis
    Utica/Carthago
    Leptis
    Chersonesos
    Crimean Neapolis
    Pantikápaion
    Hermonassa
    Alexandria (The Alex counts for four corn exporting cities)

When you do not hold five of them you still have the option to buy corn from them. Each ‘load’ of corn costs you 1,000; again Alexandria counts for four cities, means you can buy up to four ‘loads’ from there. Buying corn only is possible when you have sufficient funds and as long as the respective city not is held by a hostile faction.
    Supply is checked for every January. When he holder of Rome ensured sufficient supply everything is fine and his faction gets 5 moral points. In case the holder failed to provide full supply the City might see a ‘Corn Rebellion’. The chance of such rebellion is happening is depending on the amount of grain missing (from 16% to 84%). When a Corn Rebellion happened the faction that is holding Rome loses 18 points moral and unrest in Rome will seriously rise.

The Year of the Four Emperors: Vitellius crosses the Alps

The Snapshot World
    Each scenario only covers a small span of time. The 12-turns-per-year mean that everything that happens within two years, for example, and take four or eight turns in other mods, take 24 turns in this mod. The built-times and –costs have been raised respectively. This also means that some advanced structures take longer to build than the scenario is going. In general, on game start your cities are what they should have been in the period and improving usually doesn’t pay off during the scenario.

You will also notice that your characters don’t acquire additional personal traits. They are who they are and wouldn’t seriously change in their personality during the two or three years of that civil war; even though the war experience might cause a change in their later lives.

Designer Notes
    This game plays much different to other mods or M2TW Vanilla. You will not achieve much when you sit around, improve your towns and armies, mob up a rebel settlement from time to time and wait for the next AI faction being stupid enough to attack you. When the game starts you usually have plenty of armies and well developed provinces at your disposal, and you are at war with most other factions who are the same strong. So, this is pretty much a war game and you will encounter massive battles right from the start.

The Factional Moral should not be a problem for you because you usually win the battles against the AI (do you?), unless of course you prefer auto-calc. Keeping your Dux alive can be a bit more challenging (as long as you don’t hide him somewhere). I managed to lose “Octavian vs. Antony” within three turns, for example, because I had my Octavian being killed in a completely unimportant encounter with Antonian cavalry right after landing in Greece.

Keeping Rome in supply shouldn’t be much of a deal as long as you have sufficient funds because in most scenarios either Egypt or the Bosporan Kingdom are non-hostile factions, and each of them is able to provide you with four out of five ‘loads’ of corn. On the other hand, occupying Alexandria or the Bosporan Kingdom can cause serious trouble to the faction holding Rome.

Note that this mod is still pretty much Beta: I didn’t test each scenario with every faction. I didn’t encounter any crashes and the scripts seem to be working as intended. So, that’s what would be called ‘playable’. A first version had rather small armies with one real legion roughly corresponding one unit, larger militia garrisons and recruit times of three turns. This resulted in the AI making their family members and legions the garrisons, and marshaling armies of the militia; absolutely not what was intended. I then raised armies’ size to one historical legion corresponding with 8 units (4x legionary cohort, 4x auxilia, including cavalry and arches). I also reduced recruit times and militias. This finally resulted in the huge armies and massive battles I was looking for.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

The Crisis of the Third Century: Gallic Empire vs. Franks

FAQ
    Why is it standalone?
    This sub-mod not only adds additional campaigns but also changes a couple of things of DBM; such as different factions, a new EDB and a new EDU. Stock DBM would no longer be playable after installing this game over DBM. That’s why it has a mod folder of its own.

Why are not all factions playable and what about the missing factions?
    This mod focuses on Rome and her civil wars. I not only had to remove some factions because I needed more Roman factions but I also deliberately excluded as much factions as possible from the game. This seriously speeds up turn times, and it drastically reduced the amount of work needed to compile one descr_strat (and there are 14 different of them in this mod). Making one of the Minor Factions playable isn’t recommended anyways because they are only rump factions, only implemented as far as the AI needs them to be functional but not in a way it would be playable, or enjoyable, for a human player. So, please stick to the Major Factions, they had been work enough.

Why does it end in 275 AD?
    After the ‘Crisis of the Third Century’ Rome developed into what would be the Late Empire. Displaying this would require a new set of units, for example something like the units in IB2, and also new foreign factions. Religion would play a role, and so on. A post-275 version indeed would require another game.

Where are my diplomats?
    In most scenarios, diplomacy wouldn’t make any sense (four guys fighting for the Throne can talk it out). Whenever diplomats are allowed they are pre-placed on the map.

Credits
    The entire mod is set up on DBM. All credit for units and other non-changed material has to go there.
    This mod is inspired by West End Game’s 1985 board game Imperium Romanum II. ASFAIK, West End Games no longer is active, but you find a PC version of that game under:
    http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Mod...ium_Romanum_II (search the internet for a rule book).

Installation
    Download all 8 files. Store them in one folder and extract them to your ...\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods folder. Make sure you select "extract here" otherwise you'll have Imperium Romanum inside an obsolet additional "Imperium Romanum" folder and the batch won't be able to find the Kingdoms.exe.

Start the game by clicking on "Play DBM - Gioca DBM"

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24972...num.part01.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/24973...num.part02.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/24973...num.part03.rar
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/24973...num.part04.rar
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-...art05.rar.html
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-...art06.rar.html
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-...art07.rar.html
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-...art08.rar.html

Alternative download from Mega, thanks to WhiffOfGrapeshot
    https://mega.co.nz/#F!QlJ1iRpR!sqlgOZZwfkfVeG-vpnLwJA
    Last edited by KEA; May 13, 2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: messed up formating

Civis

Default Re: Imperium Romanum - Roman Civil War Mod (Based on DBM)

this collectoin of campaigns and all these mechanics are just great!!!!!+rep..

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wow!!! Incredible!!!

HI! how to download? on gamefront, webpage is not available ....

Well this looks splendid.
    Well done man.

Did you change any animations?
    I would really like some "Roman style" stabbing, rather than the legions swinging swords about like Gauls.
    Last edited by CrayonVonCaesar; April 30, 2015 at 04:45 PM.
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

It sounds very interesting! But can you please upload your mod on some better hosts like Mega?
    Doomed are those who take lunacy for prophecy, and carcasses for holy arses.
    The biggest monsters are the ones hiding behind ideals, religion and law.

Great work!

KEA's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by CrayonVonCaesar View Post
    Did you change any animations?
    I would really like some "Roman style" stabbing, rather than the legions swinging swords about like Gauls.
    I haven't changed anything with the units save for stats and recruitment.

Libertus

KEA, great job! Thank you

Libertus

KEA, great work! Thank you

Can you make a torrent with whole download ? Or at least upload it to something like moddb - it's easier that way - than to download 8 different parts...

KEA's Avatar Senator

@ babay11, kahn85 and Seshomaru
    It took me ca. 350 hours to make that mod, three days to patch everything together and six hours to upload it - and that failed twice, so I was 18 hours busy uploading it. No, I am not going to start everything over again only because some of you are too lazy to click on eight downloads links instead of a single one, or because the free hosters I had picked are not your favorite ones.

Sorry for sounding rude, but sometimes I can't believe what requests you get.
    Last edited by KEA; May 01, 2015 at 04:13 PM.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wow, this is what is needed! Mods focusing on the Roman Empire. I am Def downloading this. Can you make more units?

@ kahn85 and Seshomaru
    It took me ca. 350 hours to make that mod, three days to patch everything together and six hours to upload it - and that failed twice, so I was 18 hours busy uploading it. No, I am not going to start everything over again only because some of you are too lazy to click on eight downloads links instead of a single one, or because the free hosters I had picked are not your favorite ones.

It is a pity that, you use the gamefront.com... Therefore, there is no possibility to evaluate your creation, pity ...

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    @ kahn85 and Seshomaru

I didn't intend to insult the work you put in creating this mod.I know that it's hard to make something like this - i resume myself only to minor changes in already made mods...little things like stats/scripts/this kind of stuff ; and even that i find hard, so i can imagine how hard it is to spend ~350 hours for just one mod.
    Now - that wasn't a "request" as you called it, it was only a suggestion - because most mods i played(like TATW/CoW/SS) were having a torrent like which(usually) is a faster way to download, and nothing else.But if i remember right that way was created by community not by the authors - and yeah...about the part with being "lazy" you are kind of right - when i saw 8 parts it quite intimidated me heh.
    Anyway, I think i'll start dl-ing this mod tommorrow from the links you already provided - and maybe find some bugs(hopefully not) to report and make this mod even better

DeathtoEgo's Avatar Civis

I am really having a good time, as Caesar in Veni Vidi Vici, I am curious about the legionaires though, it seems that the only one I can recruit is IIII Scythia, are all the numbered legions recruitable and I'm just missing something or it there just one generic legionaire that just happens to be named IIII Scythia? The mod is awesome, btw, thanks for being you.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Love it! Such a great mod could I make a request? Would it be possible to add in a Roman Eagle Cohort...? As far as I can see (and apologies if this is not actually the case) there isn't one present and such units are historically accurate... would also like to see some historical formations added to the mod as well other then that love the mod, SO MUCH FUN! Bout time we were able to play Imperial Rome, so sick of mods that start with the Early, early Republic, Pyrrhic or Punic Wars, no offence DBM and EBII hahaha! much love <3
    Last edited by isa0005; May 01, 2015 at 11:39 PM.

KEA's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by DeathtoEgo View Post
    I am really having a good time, as Caesar in Veni Vidi Vici, I am curious about the legionaires though, it seems that the only one I can recruit is IIII Scythia, are all the numbered legions recruitable and I'm just missing something or it there just one generic legionaire that just happens to be named IIII Scythia? The mod is awesome, btw, thanks for being you.
    Yes, Red Romans (in Veni Vidi Vici Caesar) can only recruit that one. Blue Romans recruit Fulminata, Purple Romans Ferrata VI, Green Romans Gallica III, Yellow Romans Rapax. That's for period 1 & 2, in period 3 I had been using models with LS. Also here one per faction. That way we have at least a little of differentiation.

Another thing was that legions in the early periods were rather short lived, save for some raised by Caesar, Octavian and Antony. But the vast majority was disbanded until 30 BC. In period 3 I have used the ancillaries to identify legions. The post-Augustan legions didn't change much and could easily be identified for each scenario.

That's also the reason why we don't have First Cohorts: we simply don't have enough different ones in DBM for five Roman factions in two sets needed (one early with chain mail and one later with LS).

DeathtoEgo's Avatar Civis

Maybe consider renaming the period 1 & 2 legions to "Legionaires" and the period 3 ones to "Imperial Legionaires", then the seemingly random numbered legions won't look so ? random? Thanks again, these campaigns are great.

KEA's Avatar Senator

They are renamed. It should be displayed as "Roman Legion"

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast