Thread: Flammeum Gladium (A full overhaul of Attila)

Default Flammeum Gladium (A full overhaul of Attila)

Direct Download
    Steam Workshop

Flammeum Gladium means "A flaming sword" in Latin and is a perfect concept for this period of history. The world shall burn and only the strongest shall survive to inherit it. This mod is a solid overhaul of the game, offering all kinds of changes and more will come in time based on user feedback.

Religion: A complete overhaul of the religion system as it currently stands. The idea here is to balance out all the different religions, to make them so that one is no better than any other. To accomplish this, each religion is given a single concept based on what they seem to most favor, and their ability and buildings are adjusted accordingly. In addition, not only is the requirement only 25% to change your state religion now, but the building requirements are gone as well so that any faction can benefit from any religion they choose to go. Temples are now cheaper to maintain as well, either costing less gold or food, and grant more effects to make them a better deal than before. Shrines are much more useful now than before.
    Greek: Research Focus
    Latin: Spreading the Faith
    Arian: Agriculture
    Zoroastrianism: Growth Focus
    Germanic: Combat Focus
    Celtic: Wealth Focus
    Greo-Roman: Sanitation and Mixed (level 4 temples each do different things)
    Tengri: No Focus (but more integrity base)
    Manichaeism: Culture Focus
    Minor: Mixed, but bonus is 15 instead of 1 Morale

Fertility/Seasons: To combat the climate fall, the fertility level has been doubled from 5 to 10 at max. Most regions had their base fertility doubled as well, though those with a fertility level of 2 only became a 3 and fertility level 1 remains the same. This means that with each climate change, the effect is much smaller. The agricultural and livestock buildings were reworked in order to compensate the change. Agriculture buildings now produce an increased amount of food per level (150% of base at equivalent levels) but less money and no longer cause squalor but do still cause public order issues (grains and vegetables are boring). Most livestock produce the same amount of food and money as before at equivalent levels of fertility and cause sanitation issues due to animal waste but no public order since meat is nice to eat. Economic livestock such as sheep produce little food but quite a bit of money, grants squalor as before, but adds a bonus to public order due to it being a more specialized food and offer other bonuses.

The seasons have been adjusted to add more potency. Each season is a bit more drastic than before, making them very important to use to your advantage. There has been an extreme summer added to the south and extreme winter added to the north provinces, both of which have very serious drawbacks that can devastate an army.

Garrison: All cities (not towns) have had their garrisons doubled. In addition, level 4 buildings have had their garrisons doubled as well. The ERE can now build the garrison building needed for a military victory.

Campaign Changes: Army movement speeds have been decreased by 20%, with horde armies adjusted even more since they are bringing their entire civilization with them. The base Public Order penalty has been decreased due to the multitude of changes now effecting public order in other areas.

Your characters can now hit their prime at 16, with the number of children possible increased and the likelihood of a legitimate child increased while that of bastards are decreased. Commands to be recruited are now slightly cheaper to recruit, with a base cost of 200 and 350 per star, a decrease of 150 for a level 1 general. The Civil War now can start at Fame level 4 instead of 5, though the chance is small at that point.

AI personalities have been modified to an extent to better reflect their called personalities. Agent use has also been drastically diminished, though not removed. More money has been allocated to armies as well, so better armies might actually occur.

Colonization has been decreased to 12,000 so there is a high chance that the AI will start to recolonize more often. As it stands, only nomads are allowed to raze.

Diplomacy: Diplomacy has had a large rework from the base. Protectors now must be invited into a defensive war, but they do not need to come into an offensive war. If requested to join an offensive war and they refuse, they no longer break their treaty and remain your vassal. This is not true on the defensive war refusals.

The Romans and Sassinids can make client states and vassals now. The barbarians and eastern desert nomads can now form confederations.

Personalities of hate are doubled and liked are tripled. This means if someone hates your culture or religion, you will have a real challenge to make them friends.

Friends, especially good friends, are much more likely to make deals than before, especially marriages. Trade is more likely to occur as well with even enemies having a better chance of trading than in the base version.

Faction/Imperium/Political Control: Changes have been made quite a bit here. When you grant an office to a member, they no longer get the penalty for a lower officer granted an office. With the death of a faction leader, the penalty is increased but the duration decreased. Corruption is decreased to a max of 85% and more is done to decrease it overall.

Political control is now designed to represent a democracy compared to a dictatorship. In this aspect, a low control represents high influence from your opponents, decreasing public order, increasing corruption and more, though other nations are more willing to deal with you and upkeep is reduced as the armies are paid more equally among the counsel. Higher control represents a greater control of the nation, increasing stability in the form of lower corruption, greater public order but at the same time others are not as willing to deal with your faction and armies cost more to upkeep in order to ensure their loyalty remains to your family.

Imperium is harder to gain levels, but there are not a lot of benefits for being a stronger, larger empire. Others will not want to deal with you as much, but more people will come allowing your cities to grow faster.

War: To make combat last a bit longer, morale penalties have been adjusted and slightly lower. Units also fight worse the more tired they are, with a distinct advantage granted to those who are fresh and active. The required amount of fatigue to become tired has increased, but so has the speed in which a unit tires in many circumstances. This means recovery time is longer than in vanilla and should be planned accordingly.

Speed for infantry and artillery are now 80% of their original speed. Heavy cavalry have a slower charge than lighter cavalry. A near miss distance has been decreased for unit morale penalties.

When armies are on foreign soil, they now have a penalty of 2 to their integrity, making it more important to get out faster if possible. This is likely to increase in updates. Zone of control has also been slightly decreased for armies and navies.

When it is damp, fire is harder to spread, but it has been designed to do more damage and spread further than in vanilla regardless of the weather.

When outnumbered, the timeout has been lowered to occur much later than in vanilla. In addition, instead of every 3 seconds, the effect only triggers every 10 seconds making it much less painful and does not guarantee a route. The general does have a larger radius now, and when he dies, the penalty is much more severe for a little while, but once the ‘recently died’ penalty goes away, it is lower than vanilla as soldiers realize it’s not the end of the world.
    Last edited by synagas; April 30, 2015 at 07:25 PM.
    It is what it is, nothing more, nothing less
    In life, pain and death are the only things shared by everyone

Default Re: Flammeum Gladium (A full overhaul of Attila)

"Flammeus Gladius" is what you want for the mod title. The way you have it currently is accusative case (a direct object). Nominative (subject) would be more appropriate.

Some interesting changes though. I like the ideas for those client state changes in particular.

Yeah... I don't know Latin so google translate was the way I went. Might need to change it now that I know.

If you try it out, let me know what you think.

haha fine! u just came around the corner and bäääm... there is the big overhaul
    nice thing, gonna try this 4 shure

Thanks. I made a region one before, and wanted to make a fertility one as well. Combined the two for myself, realized I wanted more changes, about two weeks later and I had 90% of my overhaul done XD.

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

This looks fab. I'll give it a try!

Anyone who uses this mod, please just let me know your thoughts on it. I want it to be a good, strong mod that is well balanced, and so the more feedback I get, the better it will be. Plus, I would LOVE for this to become a hosted mod here XD.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

Thanks for your efforts.

It sounds very interesting.

I will try it out.

Last edited by Ballacraine; May 09, 2015 at 05:53 PM.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Looks pretty awesome man, I'll give it a try soon and let you know what I think