Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: [Submod] AOPK 3.0: The Kings Beyond the Wall

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: [Submod] Age of Petty Kings 2.0 - Dornish and Riverland Rosters Preview in OP

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
    Yeah, but there's also the issue that dragging trebuchets with you on campaign is kinda ridiculous. That being said, I am thinking about adding some. It would make the campaign a lot faster, and make it much more feasible to storm through castles (especially seeing as I've added like 70+ new castles in 2.0. Do people want this?
    If not trebuchets, then regular catapults at the least. Ballistas, although ineffective against stone walls, would be nice just to shoot down gates instead of having to sacrifice a bunch of men manning the battering rams.

Also, will this mod have armor upgrades this time or will there be some units that feature plate armor in general? Plate armor is worn in the HBO series GoT, but I don't know if Martin mentions the use of plate armor at all in his books. I did notice, however, that at least one unit in your mod features plate armor: the drowned god's chosen unit for the Iron Islanders! Being Iron Islanders, are they the only ones who are supposed to have a badass armored unit, while everyone else wears chainmail? It seems like quite a big technological edge against everyone else, and strange that no surrounding kingdom would adopt the same thing over the thousands of years that they've existed. Is military technology in a basic standstill in Westeros, stuck forever in an early 13th-century time frame? It would certainly add more variety to the rosters to have more units in general, especially ones that are more armored and elite. The Kings of Rivers and Hills submod, for instance, has units with plate armor. Is that sub-mod wrong to feature it?

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [Submod] Age of Petty Kings 2.0 - Dornish and Riverland Rosters Preview in OP

Don't Renly and Rheagar and the king's guard have full plate? I'd imagine that the existence of partial plate would imply that full plate is around.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

It is easy to marshal an army of cool-looking full-plate knights in a form thread, but less easy to do so in an actual game. If this mod will ever get released, it will be if we limit our scope and avoid feature creep. The Runeriders will have full-plate armor, and the Rhoynar may as well, but beyond that I don't have the time or the skill to make it work. As always, you'll be free to submod 2.0 when it comes out (or to contact me if you're down to make armor upgrades for 290+ units) .

It is easy to marshal an army of cool-looking full-plate knights in a form thread, but less easy to do so in an actual game. If this mod will ever get released, it will be if we limit our scope and avoid feature creep. The Runeriders will have full-plate armor, and the Rhoynar may as well, but beyond that I don't have the time or the skill to make it work. As always, you'll be free to submod 2.0 when it comes out (or to contact me if you're down to make armor upgrades for 290+ units) .
    That Kings of Rivers and Hills submod seems to have simply used the vanilla Medieval II models that had plate armor, and re-skinned them with new colors and shield patterns that are relevant to each house. Is that a difficult thing for a modder to do? Excuse my ignorance, since I'm not a modder and wouldn't know the first thing on how to re-skin a unit and make new shield patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    That Kings of Rivers and Hills submod seems to have simply used the vanilla Medieval II models that had plate armor, and re-skinned them with new colors and shield patterns that are relevant to each house. Is that a difficult thing for a modder to do? Excuse my ignorance, since I'm not a modder and wouldn't know the first thing on how to re-skin a unit and make new shield patterns.
    It depends. If you want it to look good (and consistent with the other art currently in AOPK) then yes, it is rather difficult. Either way, its not happening in 2.0.

It also doesn't really make sense lore wise because the mod takes place like 1000 years prior to the books, and plate armor probably wasn't widely used (if at all) at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rj2long View Post
    It also doesn't really make sense lore wise because the mod takes place like 1000 years prior to the books, and plate armor probably wasn't widely used (if at all) at the time.
    You sure about that? I'm not even a book reader, yet I read somewhere that House Royce (of the Vale) had an ancestral suit of armor that was full plate, a family heirloom.

It depends. If you want it to look good (and consistent with the other art currently in AOPK) then yes, it is rather difficult. Either way, its not happening in 2.0.
    Fair enough. A sub-mod of your sub-mod would suffice.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

the royce armour is definitely modern steel, made to look bronze and old and whatnot. youd have to be a lunatic to be a lord and go to battle in ancient bronze armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    You sure about that? I'm not even a book reader, yet I read somewhere that House Royce (of the Vale) had an ancestral suit of armor that was full plate, a family heirloom.
    Well for one the Royce armor was made of bronze, not steel, which is a totally different (and easier) process to make. Secondly, They were a noble house, which had a few sets of plate armour, leading me to believe that is wasn't as widely used at the time due to the difficulty of making it. Also I remember reading somewhere that chainmail wasn't even used until the Andals brought it over which wasn't too long before this mod takes place.

This is all conjecture, but I don't think that full plate armor was widely used until much later on.

It all depends. The timeline for ASoIaF is completely borked. I honestly don't believe that the time scale is nearly as drastic as people make it. Aegon landed 300 years ago, that's ok. Proper record keeping was kept. While I do hold that technological progress gets halted when winters are long and people starve, war destroys records, and the citadel hoards knowledge, but in that time span the Egyptians rise, fell, and everything else until cars, internet, and spaceflight. Obviously the pictures in WoIaF cannot be cannon (3 different Dragon Stones, a picture of Ned Stark's bastard for no reason), but Torrehn and Aegon are both wearing full and intricate plate.

My point being, technological development is slow and Westeros goes through long periods of whatever they have, but the timescales are not as long as they say.

The only real proof against this is that the Night's Watch has 998 Lord Commanders, which would mean that each one would have to serve only ~8 years a piece to logically fill the 8000 years since its founding. And that is entirely reasonable.

Ah! Bronze armor. Thanks for the correction. Indeed, it is easier to craft, as bronze plate armor were found aplenty in ancient Greece (muscled breastplates and backplates plus long greaves covering the arms and legs). Wrought iron chain mail was in abundance, though, by the late Hellenistic and late Republican period of Rome. Plus, by the 1st century AD, bronze "Coolus" helmets were almost completely replaced by solid iron helmets, the standard "Imperial" helmets of the Roman army. Then of course there's the lorica segmentata plate armor of the Romans during the 1st-3rd centuries AD, which was used alongside lorica hamata (chain mail) and squamata (scale mail). That means iron plate armor was used hundreds of years before the start of the Early Middle Ages, although admittedly lacking the superior metallurgy and deflective qualities of late medieval plate armor from the 14th to 16th centuries.

If the time span of recorded history in Westeros is 8,000 years, and it has taken them roughly that amount of time to start introducing iron and steel plate armor during and after the Targaryen invasion, then that is just pathetic and, dare I say, shameful.

SHAME!

SHAME!

SHAME!

*Ding-ding. Ding-ding.*

Elbadruhel's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    the royce armour is definitely modern steel, made to look bronze and old and whatnot. youd have to be a lunatic to be a lord and go to battle in ancient bronze armour.
    That armour has runes on it. Maybe some old magic protect the armour and its wearer.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

magic has been dead since the dragons are gone, so nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbadruhel View Post
    That armour has runes on it. Maybe some old magic protect the armour and its wearer.
    I think in the books somewhere its mentioned that if the runes were magical it certainly never helped because plenty of Royce's died in battle wearing it.

Elbadruhel's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    magic has been dead since the dragons are gone, so nah.
    But the point is... Now there are dragons again. Maybe, this runes get power again. With the reborn of magic. And we may see someone (baelish pay for it) trying to murder Yohn Bronze, and... He survives, due to his runic armour.

I highly doubt that. More likely they're just sweet suits of armor that superstitious people wrote on. Still, enough bronze and you're very well protected, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Royces make the best bronze, so the armor is still quite formidable.

Admiral summer is here..

Unfortunately, once you're out of High School and you start working, summer doesn't mean what it once did... Though speaking of which, I found a real job developing for an Augmented Reality startup, so I won't be going into indie development for now. Either way, I should still be able to work on AOPK and you can still expect a summer release.

Lemphibar's Avatar Civis

I would like to see trebs as well. If there could possibly be a cap on them or only available at certain locations. dk if the first is possible. Great work so far!

May we get the most current version of the map on turn 1 please? Or is the current video preview indicative of all the start locations?

I'm just asking for the minimap, not like a complex preview like the current one.
    Last edited by Drazule; July 10, 2015 at 09:58 PM.