Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: [Submod] AOPK 3.0: The Kings Beyond the Wall

Lemphibar's Avatar Civis

Default Re: [Submod] Age of Petty Kings 3.0 - White Walkers preview (page 17)

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
    Here's the thing: the lore-base for the mod is scattered all throughout the books (as well as AWoIaF). I originally got the idea reading one of Brianne's AFFK chapters about House Crabb of The Whispers. However, what little "factual" base there is is scattered everywhere.

Moreover, most of what you see in those opening lore scrolls is stuff I made up (The Lion of Winterfell, etc). We know almost nothing about this time period and that required some embellishment. The Reach lore is more based in "fact" (see AWoIaF's chapter on the Gardeners) as are Nymeria's Dornish escapades, plus all the current factions have their basis in the lore, but the specifics have mostly been embellished to fill in the blanks based on what we already know.

Edit: Some more Night's Watch.

Hmmm. I like. Nice picture too. Have you thought of lowering the nw's units per regiment? I'd have assume even in their "hay day" they still couldn't field large armies. Just a thought.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

The problem is, if they're to stand any chance against the Wildlings they need at least some sort of army. So instead I'm limiting them by only giving the NW three castles and making the Wildling units cheaper and have bigger unit sizes.

Well shouldnt the wildlings other than Thenns have basically a 0-1 for armor stat and generally low morale to compensate? In comparison a unit of KW could have a skill stat of higher number than levies of normal westeros factions and have decent armor stats to make there basic infantry have a defence of about 12-14 versus a 3-9 for wildlings?

All hat's taken into account, but the NW will still need 120(ish) men per unit to compete. Most Wildling units have 180-200 men though, so it should work out.

Also a quick update: For everyone out there requesting buildings, I'll be completely re-vamping the buildings for 3.0. I've already got some interesting chains going and I'll to a big preview of all the new buildings soon. Basically I'm trying to go for a system where not all of the choices lead to perfectly better options.

For example, you can spent 1 turn to freely grant "Hunting Rights" to the peasants of a region. This increases archer XP, but it also reduces law and order, as the nobles are unhappy that the commoners can hunt their deer, and the smallfolk are now much better at shooting people.

I've also slacked off on the strict recruitment rules. Instead, regions will have their recruitment unlock once you've conquered the whole thing, but in the meantime you can build some forward garrisons that will let you recruit your own troops there as well (and unlock free-upkeep slots). This should make it a bit easier to fortify frontier regions.

Expect a full preview soon!
    Last edited by AdmiralThrawn; November 17, 2015 at 09:31 PM.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

All hat's taken into account, but the NW will still need 120(ish) men per unit to compete. Most Wildling units have 180-200 men though, so it should work out.

Also a quick update: For everyone out there requesting buildings, I'll be completely re-vamping the buildings for 3.0. I've already got some interesting chains going and I'll to a big preview of all the new buildings soon. Basically I'm trying to go for a system where not all of the choices lead to perfectly better options.

For example, you can spent 1 turn to freely grant "Hunting Rights" to the peasants of a region. This increases archer XP, but it also reduces law and order, as the nobles are unhappy that the commoners can hunt their deer, and the smallfolk are now much better at shooting people.

I've also slacked off on the strict recruitment rules. Instead, regions will have their recruitment unlock once you've conquered the whole thing, but in the meantime you can build some forward garrisons that will let you recruit your own troops there as well (and unlock free-upkeep slots). This should make it a bit easier to fortify frontier regions.

Sounds really god

Default Re: [Submod] Age of Petty Kings 3.0 - Buildings Preview in OP

Hi,one question why dont keep those little ships that indicated maritimal commerce?

We did keep them, there just aren't all that many.

Lemphibar's Avatar Civis

The problem is, if they're to stand any chance against the Wildlings they need at least some sort of army. So instead I'm limiting them by only giving the NW three castles and making the Wildling units cheaper and have bigger unit sizes.
    Was just a thought. Considering the power of winterfell and the northern lords would oft have to save the nw and push the wildlings back.

Thats awesome, always missed more buildings and options, some reason to turtle and let the generations come and go.

About the recruitment, I like a lot. Fighting on borders can be some hard work, so far as Redwyne I got navla acess so I keep three fleets coming and going with retrained troops and weary almost dead ones back to my recruiting zone, that is in the island, far away. When I move further inland and dont get ships acess, things gonna get ugly.

Foederatus

Hi! First of all I have to say that it's a fantastic mod. I enjoyed very much playing it.
    As for the recruitment region, should it work for the enemy too? Because in my Stark campaign with Aopk2 I lost Flint Finger to the ironborn (greyjoy perhaps) and they recruited dustin troops there (even if I still had the other regions). And the same happened with the Dreadfort and the Umbers.

BerryKnight's Avatar Kings Guard Commander

The Night's Watch looks very nice, and so do the wildlings. I wish the Others were playable because they look awesome!
    When you do the Buildings update though for 3.0, would assassins and spies be out of the question though?
    I mean if you're going to have 3 levels of tavern upgrades might as well.
    But most of all it looks great, and I can't wait to see what comes next.
    Thanks Admiral!

Ser Elmond Starr's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by BerryKnight View Post
    The Night's Watch looks very nice, and so do the wildlings. I wish the Others were playable because they look awesome!
    When you do the Buildings update though for 3.0, would assassins and spies be out of the question though?
    I mean if you're going to have 3 levels of tavern upgrades might as well.
    But most of all it looks great, and I can't wait to see what comes next.
    Thanks Admiral!
    It's in the OP.
    Ser Elmond of House Starr, the Light of the Night, Lord of Moonkeep and King of Etherea
    Through Action, a Man becomes a Hero.Through Death, a Hero becomes a Legend.Through Time, a Legend becomes a Myth.By learning from the Myth, a Man takes Action....

Yeah, I currently have no plans of allowing assassins and spies in the game. Mostly b/c the AI uses them terribly and tries to infiltrate/kill the player's faction.

Hello Admiral,
    I realy love the mod and the 2.0. it's amazing.
    Your work is on the top as always!

The only important issue i found for me is on the family trees.
    It's not separate from the original family of the faction nor renamed to the minor family name.
    Can i hope to an update for this?

Keep going your amazing work!!

As far as I know that's not possible. Most of the minor families have invisible trees though.

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm not sure exactly how it is, but if the Weirwoods take much longer to produce, I'd recommend they be much more effective at spreading the religion. Afterall, even Cat can feel the primal power of the old gods when she is in the grove.

She feels their power but dosent convert. In fact I'm unaware of anyone but maybe Sam converting to the Old God's from the Seven. The Old God's don't have an organized church to drive conversions, so the Weirwoods are more of a symbol that general peer pressure is driving people back to their traditional faith. As such, they'll be ok, but not great, at converting. Big septs, and the Faith Millitant will be much better.

Still, you have a point about gameplay balance, so I may buff the once I get some beta feedback.

As far as I know that's not possible. Most of the minor families have invisible trees though.
    I mean a rename same as KORAH Admiral..
    Thanks for the answer!

The 2.0 is the Best!!

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

I see your point, but throughout the course of the books one person converts to the Old Gods and nobody converts to the Seven.

Great mod, one of my favourites, but i've noticed few things:
    - Blackwood Horse Archers - range of theirs arrows - 230 - isn't too high?
    - in my campaign (Starks, difficulty - hard) - Gardeners, Lannisters, Arryns are too weak and quite fast lose their provinces...
    I hope you will add more titles (=ancilliares like "Lord of ...") in the next version

PS. Do you allow to use Your Conquest Script in other mods (of course you will be included in Credits)?