Thread: Season 7 Mod for Game of Thrones: Total War

Clint Eastwood's Avatar Civis

Default Season 7 Mod for Game of Thrones: Total War

Hello, everyone. I wanted to let you all know that over the winter I will start working on a mod to move the Game of Thrones: Total War submod from a season 2/season 3 setting to a season 7 setting, in which Daenerys invades Westeros. I haven't started work on it yet, though I plan to in a few weeks. Here are a few of the features I intend to implements:

-New cost and upkeep for units:
    This means that one will no longer be able to make gigantic armies, including NPC factions. Armies are now much slower to build and far more expensive, meaning that you will have to take care and think before entering a major battle
    -New characters/factions:
    Of course, this will implement the House Targaryen faction, remove House Stannis, House of Renly, House of Joffrey, House Tully, and House Bolton. The Lannisters will have control over all of the Westerlands and Crownlands, the Freys will control the Riverlands. Daenerys will start off with Dragonstone, the Tyrells will still have the Reach, the Martells with Dorne. The Starks will have the North, led by Jon Snow, the Arryns with the Vale, and the Greyjoys (under Euron) with the Iron Islands.
    -Alliances:
    The alliances will be as follows:
    House Lannister-House Frey-House Greyjoy
    House Targaryen-House Tyrell-House Martell
    House Stark-House Arryn

House Targaryen will start off with the largest armies but the least land and money. The Lannisters will start off with the most or second-most land and though their armies may be few, they are the most experienced and talented; the Tyrells will have the most money but poorly trained armies; the Freys will be weak all around; the Starks will have a land advantage, in being separated from their foes by large distance, but with very few troops; the Greyjoys with weak armies but powerful navies; the Arryns will possess strong armies and a land advantage, but surrounded by enemies; and the Martells will be moderately strong all around.

As I included in my Winds of Winter submod for Game of Thrones: Total War, there will be various rebellions throughout most of Westeros, particularly in the Riverlands and Crownlands; larger rebel forces will be serious threats to the Freys and Lannisters.

Again, this mod will be more demanding of the player than usual; strong, capable soldiers will be in short supply (as they certainly would be in Westeros after several years of bloody conflict), and thus upkeep for armies will be significantly higher. The loss of a single army will have a far more devastating impact than in the vanilla game, or even original mod, and the death of a general or family member will be potentially fatal to a faction, as very few of them have survived up to this point.

So, keep an eye out for the next month or two; once I've started work and have made some progress I'll upload a few screenshots and keep everyone updated as to how the mod development goes. If anyone wants to help, I could definitely use it, particularly with scripting.

Default Re: Season 7 Mod for Game of Thrones: Total War

Love the sound of this

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Cool. But Will be obsolete in march when Parafix and SGI release their mod with the same units.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    Cool. But Will be obsolete in march when Parafix and SGI release their mod with the same units.
    I wasn't aware of that mod. Well, hopefully this one will not be too similar to the one you're talking about. Do you know if the Parafix mod is based more on the books or the show? Because remember that this is creating the scenario that occurs in the show, not the books.

Books

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    I wasn't aware of that mod. Well, hopefully this one will not be too similar to the one you're talking about. Do you know if the Parafix mod is based more on the books or the show? Because remember that this is creating the scenario that occurs in the show, not the books.
    His is based more on the books but. ask him if you can make a submod after there 0.2 realse as it would be a much more stable mod and a better map than the current one. Also would you be interested in doing a GOT version of there mod if they would allow permission? I wouldn't mind helping if i get time.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralG View Post
    His is based more on the books but. ask him if you can make a submod after there 0.2 realse as it would be a much more stable mod and a better map than the current one. Also would you be interested in doing a GOT version of there mod if they would allow permission? I wouldn't mind helping if i get time.
    I'll be using the GOT: Total War map for the mod, not the Parafix map. I prefer the GOT map as well, because it fits better with the show and already has the new city models. And what do you mean exactly by a GOT version of their mod? Is it not what I'm already doing? If his is set around the time Daenerys invades Westeros then I think mine is already that.

And thanks for the offer of help. I'll send you a PM once I start working on it to let you know what I might need help with.

It souls map by the way i think. The problem is is that 0.53 map is horrendously unstable. Souls would be a much better base. Also its bigger and more detailed making for a all round better mod. Use of it isn't guaranteed you'd have to ask them. Their mod is based on the books so all the banners, faction colours, and loading screes are based on the books. So changing Dream of spring that to this mods version of all that. Basically a upgrade of your earlier mod then make a new one and.change that to this ones setting Obviously permission would have to be gained for all use. But i think it would be a popular sub mod . Wondered if you were keen?

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    I'll be using the GOT: Total War map for the mod, not the Parafix map. I prefer the GOT map as well, because it fits better with the show and already has the new city models. And what do you mean exactly by a GOT version of their mod? Is it not what I'm already doing? If his is set around the time Daenerys invades Westeros then I think mine is already that.
    Their mod will have improved stratmodels of cities made by the same guy (Inarus) and the map is SGI:s - not Parafix's, however it will in some cases have book portraits and banners instead of the ones made by VltimaRatio for GoT - that looks like in the show.

The main reason to play their mod (besides the map) is obviously that it may possibly be more stable.

- But yes, it won't have show-portraits for everyone, it won't have show-music, it won't have show-videos - and it won't have the voiceovers.

- Parafix stated to me on Skype though that he may do a new version of Game of Thrones: Total War within their project.

Inarus, the creator of the original Game of Thrones: Enhanced, has said he wants Parafix to take over - i feel like any work done on 4.9 would be obsolete very soon and so it isn't a priority. Of course i may add balance and possibly the missing heroes to 4.9. They need to be riged and i may get help with that. But at the end of the day it will still be weak in comparision to the other mod in march - the only plus being the show features such as the videos, portraits, music and banners.

I don't really think the story is better in the TV-show, so that would be a plus for the other mod in my opinion.

- Inarus isn't the owner of the models that VltimaRatio created, and he sure isn't the one who did all of the coding for the new features and units of GoT 4.0 to 4.9 - but as he created the mod in the beginning plus laid the foundation i believe it's still his call what to do with it in the future.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Yes exactly as nygren says id been keen for a got submod version of a dream of spring and a wo5k mod using souls map.

Parafix's Avatar I have this stick...
    Blog Entries

Normally having to correct everyone on the coding not being souls, the map is his, code mine. Anyhow, doing a show related submod if that era is going to leave out a huge chunk of characters let alone large portions of Westeros current state up in the air.

For example, the show states Lannister controls weaterlands, chunks of riverlands, crownlands and the stormlands, while Greyjoy only controls the isles, no remaining foothold in the north and no invasion into the south

Just my two cents, but i know VltimaRatio wanted a mod based on the show when it comes to the units, and on the books when it comes to the story.

- So the only issue would then be the banners, videos, voiceovers and portraits not in use by ADoS.

Vltima actually plans to create units based on the book too.

- The Havamal

If the units are already in the mod it wouldnt be a big job to make a submod changing the faction banners, colours and load screens for a dos. but a fair bit more for portraits and voices.

Alright, well, if you think my mod would simply be redundant, then I just won't bother with it. But take into account that I intended it to not just be different in that it is show-based, not book-based. I also meant to change the style of gameplay to be more challenging, rewarding, and punishing. To try and make it a bit more GOT-like, where a single mistake or defeat may destroy everything you've built up. Again, though, if you all feel that this would just be a waste of time and energy then I won't bother.

Ah no not tying to put you off. The premse is really good just saying it would be alot better if it was on souls map. You even have the wall and the land beyond so you could implement a white walker invasion.

Ah no not tying to put you off. The premse is really good just saying it would be alot better if it was on souls map. You even have the wall and the land beyond so you could implement a white walker invasion.
    As far as i know there are no White Walkers in their mod, nor in GoT - however, GoT has some unique factions such as House Renly, The Wildlings and the Dothraki. Dothraki are part of the Targaryens in their mod - but as it takes place around season 5 it won't include House Renly or the Wildlings.

- I know Vltima wanted Renly so that is a bother.

- The Havamal

Well you would have 2 verions: a submod for dos makeing it aesthetically got. Then a new version of got enhanced with souls map. then clint can do his mod bing a different third version. The white walkers are in a dos but they are the ones from petty kings 3.0