Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dontfearme22 Preview Thread

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Default Re: Dontfearme22 Preview Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    Yes, but in the reign of I belieeeeve Thutmoses the 1st Nubia was in its entirety annexed by Egypt.
    Yes, Kermas forces were decisevely destroyed in the year 2 of Thutmosis I reign. There were rebellions until the reign of Thutmosis III though and only at that time the rule over Nubia was consolidated.

Of the research I have seen, Nubian clothing in the higher ranks of society was pretty egyptianized...with its own distinct flavors however.
    If your sources are from the 1500-1000 BC that might be true, but i havent read anything yet about the Kerma-Elite beeing Egyptianized. For example the burials were totaly different from Egyptian ones, including cow- and human scarifices. The shape of the grave is also different: While in Egypt we have our pyramids, we have in Kerma big tumuli.
    I cant imagine its a stylistic convention in Egyptian art because assyrian art also shows the feather kilt setup as well.
    A Nubiologist (Dr. Michael Zach) i once asked about how trustworthy Egyptian depictions of Nubians are told me that: Egyptian paintings make use of stereotypes.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Yes, Kermas forces were decisevely destroyed in the year 2 of Thutmosis I reign. There were rebellions until the reign of Thutmosis III though and only at that time the rule over Nubia was consolidated.

If your sources are from the 1500-1000 BC that might be true, but i havent read anything yet about the Kerma-Elite beeing Egyptianized. For example the burials were totaly different from Egyptian ones, including cow- and human scarifices. The shape of the grave is also different: While in Egypt we have our pyramids, we have in Kerma big tumuli.

A Nubiologist (Dr. Michael Zach) i once asked about how trustworthy Egyptian depictions of Nubians are told me that: Egyptian paintings make use of stereotypes.

I was recently reading Ancient Nubia: African Kingdoms on the Nile,and that listed a good deal of evidence to supporting heavy egyptianization especially in the new kingdom, at least in dress. Thats not to say it was a exact copy paste, it was a very much syncretic culture but egyptian influence was there. As for the stereotypes, there might be truth to that. I have seen shabti figure at least that show more conventionally dressed nubian archers...and those also appear in wall paintings, and my assyrian point still stands. My guess is since there were so many nubians in the egyptian army some were levied as ordinary archer troops and others might have been more exotic elite units, like the feather and kilt getup. you know more about Nubia than i do however, but keep the discussion to 1500-1000 bc New kingdom Nubia, anything else while as good evidence is not as relevant as evidence from that timeperiod especially since the new kingdom occupation was a large change from the previous timeperiod of relative hegemony.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I was recently reading Ancient Nubia: African Kingdoms on the Nile,and that listed a good deal of evidence to supporting heavy egyptianization especially in the new kingdom, at least in dress. Thats not to say it was a exact copy paste, it was a very much syncretic culture but egyptian influence was there.
    Yes, i dont doubt that. The thing ist just that your mod starts in 1500 BC, so at a time when upper Nubia was just recently annexed and should remain rebellious for over a half century. So i would suggest to add Nubian units with Kerma-stlyed clothing aswell, while one can recruit one elite-Nubian unit with Egyptian styled clothes relatively recently. After several hundred years there could be a reform, so that all Nubian units wear Egyptian clothes instead of the previous Kerma-like ones.

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Yes, i dont doubt that. The thing ist just that your mod starts in 1500 BC, so at a time when upper Nubia was just recently annexed and should remain rebellious for over a half century. So i would suggest to add Nubian units with Kerma-stlyed clothing aswell, while one can recruit one elite-Nubian unit with Egyptian styled clothes relatively recently. After several hundred years there could be a reform, so that all Nubian units wear Egyptian clothes instead of the previous Kerma-like ones.
    That would be a very smart decision.

Moon_Man's Avatar Libertus

I need to ask, would people rather have mid-tier Hittite units have helmets like these:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

or these:

I think you should use the first one, the second helmets look a bit to rich and ornate for simple mid tier units. The crests and horns with the scale armor as well would make them look more like a Hittite king's personal retinue.

A bit of a hint at what the first(of many)additions to the playable demo will be:

A bit of a hint at what the first(of many)additions to the playable demo will be:

HNNGG

We are working on adding 4 new aegean factions to the playable mod, heres a screenshot from one of them so far:

May I ask if the canaanites will be a faction? By what i have Learned they were a kingdom right? Before they were conquered by the assyrians?

Quote Originally Posted by trooper007 View Post
    May I ask if the canaanites will be a faction? By what i have Learned they were a kingdom right? Before they were conquered by the assyrians?
    The canaanites were never a unified people politically, so they cant be a single faction. However, there are canaanite societies and units in the game.

also, the Assyrian conquest was the Early Iron Age. In the LBA Canaan was jostled between Egypt, the Hittites, and independent micro-states.

Last edited by Dontfearme22; August 17, 2015 at 05:40 PM.

Aaa yes. Forgot about the whole egypt and hittites contesting over canaan. My bad
    Cheers mate.

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Fancy!

The Sea Peoples "Lobster" style corselet looks beautiful. Some sources claim that Twentieth Dinasty Egyptians (1187-1064) started using a similar armor to match the ones worn by the invaders. Egyptian soldiers wearing the lobster armor can be seen in this reconstruction of the Medinet Habu reliefs (i guess some of these might be artistic interpretations):

In this modern depiction of the same battle (accurate or not?), we can see the egyptians using heavy scale/lobster armor and kilts very similar to these of their enemies:

I wonder if the "late" (invasion period) units with the new equipment could be implemented as a "reform" for the Egyptian faction.
    Last edited by UchihaMadara21; August 22, 2015 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaMadara21 View Post
    The Sea Peoples "Lobster" style corselet looks beautiful. Some sources claim that Twentieth Dinasty Egyptians (1187-1064) started using a similar armor to match the ones worn by the invaders. Egyptian soldiers wearing the lobster armor can be seen in this reconstruction of the Medinet Habu reliefs (i guess some of these might be artistic interpretations):

In this modern depiction of the same battle (accurate or not?), we can see the egyptians using heavy scale/lobster armor and kilts very similar to these of their enemies:

I wonder if the "late" (invasion period) units with the new equipment could be implemented as a "reform" for the Egyptian faction.
    That is a possibility, although military changes like that are really hard to nail down for certain given the limitations of sources in the time period. Certainly the lobster cuirass will featured in more detail, as with the Sea Peoples as a whole in the update after the one immediately coming up.

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

according to the relief it is accurate.
    but it might be another example of egyptian propaganda. maybe because the sea peoples had better armour, they just decided to draw their soldiers some armours too. they look exactly the same though...

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    according to the relief it is accurate.
    but it might be another example of egyptian propaganda. maybe because the sea peoples had better armour, they just decided to draw their soldiers some armours too. they look exactly the same though...
    I guess scale armour (atleast) was a reality at that time, since Egyptian "marines" (elite archers/spearmen/swordsmen) from the 20th Dinasty had a important role in the naval/coastal battles against the invaders, and it's known that Ramses III introduced some kind of armor to these "marines" after making contact with the sea peoples and conquering former Philistine territory (archers had the mace as a secondary weapon). At the end, only elite infantry should use scale armor, and maybe officers would wear the lobster style cuirass.
    Last edited by UchihaMadara21; August 23, 2015 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaMadara21 View Post
    I guess scale armour (atleast) was a reality at that time, since Egyptian "marines" (elite archers/spearmen/swordsmen) from the 20th Dinasty had a important role in the naval/coastal battles against the invaders, and it's known that Ramses III introduced some kind of armor to these "marines" after making contact with the sea peoples and conquering former Philistine territory (archers had the mace as a secondary weapon). At the end, only elite infantry should use scale armor, and maybe officers would wear the lobster style cuirass.
    There wasnt really philistine territories until after Egypt had started to lose control over all of Canaan to my knowledge.

However, it might be a case of Romans adopting pants, i.e. a empire adopts foreign barbarian customs to try and compete on their level.

I most likely will have egyptian marines have lobster cuirasses and egyptian helmets and skins. I will try to reflect the actual reliefs as much as possible.

My bad, i meant the egyptian victories over the Peleset/Philistines and other tribes.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast