Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dontfearme22 Preview Thread

Default Re: Dontfearme22 Preview Thread

Has anyone noticed the bad rigging of the distant LOD model of the vanila egyptian model? The feet specifically. They stretch. BTW I wanted to say that the awesome Divide Et Impera mod has complete naked and not overly muscular custom egyptian models and I wondered if those were the ones you were using or a custom one?

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

the textures still need a lot of work, but the model is there at least. Also, Marechal Christos Massilius is now working on unit cards, and is already done with many european unit cards. I think i can preview his work in the next major update.

Last edited by Dontfearme22; June 15, 2015 at 01:35 AM.

Protestant Knight's Avatar Centenarius

OMG all of the new work is amazing

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post

I don't get it...what's the relation between the Gate of Mycenae and this battle?

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaMadara21 View Post
    I don't get it...what's the relation between the Gate of Mycenae and this battle?
    there isnt a specific artifact represented in the image, its just a random screenshot....buuut they are late mycenaeans so the image seemed fitting. sorry for the confusion

there isnt a specific artifact represented in the image, its just a random screenshot....buuut they are late mycenaeans so the image seemed fitting. sorry for the confusion
    Oh, that's right. I should figure out the shields and helmets...

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I thought you were going to avoid the stereotypical Nubian with ostrich feather and Leopard skirt?

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

why would we?

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    why would we?
    'Cause its not historical.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    I concur, I would suggest a coelurosauria feather or american bald eagle along with macrame jean shorts.

indeed massico, indeed...

so what would be historical?

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    so what would be historical?
    I dont know, i just know that this cap is based on Egyptian wallpaintings like these:

They are no accurate depiction of ancient Kermites/Kushites, but rather show the stereotypical "Southlander", a stereotype that was used even much later, when it was copied by the Assyrians:

How historical Kermite clothing looked like and of what materials it consisted i cant say, thats over 1000 years to early for me. However, i only would use Egyptian sources if the Kermitic ones are not fruitful.

Edit: If you need a good author about Kerma books i heard Charles Bonet is your man, but from that what i have seen he mostly writes in French. Here is a summary: http://www.kerma.ch/index.php?option...d=22&Itemid=66
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; June 25, 2015 at 10:31 PM.

I dont know, i just know that this cap is based on Egyptian wallpaintings like these:

They are no accurate depiction of ancient Kermites/Kushites, but rather show the stereotypical "Southlander", a stereotype that was used even much later, when it was copied by the Assyrians:

How historical Kermite clothing looked like and of what materials it consisted i cant say, thats over 1000 years to early for me. However, i only would use Egyptian sources if the Kermitic ones are not fruitful.
    I understand your reasons, they are smart and legit...but if we take it so seriously, almost every depiction of ancient civilizations shouldn't be trusted. Unfortunately, that's all the team got as historical sources...unless if someone comes up with more accurate features.

From the bit of reading I made from the swiss site, the people of Kerma wore skirt made of goatskin and have sandal of cowhide.

If you want, I can read more and give you the informations.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Deathshade View Post
    From the bit of reading I made from the swiss site, the people of Kerma wore skirt made of goatskin and have sandal of cowhide.

If you want, I can read more and give you the informations.
    Would be very cool if you could write here what you have found out, i am interested in learning more about Kerma

skins aren't much of a problem. i think putting some feathers to the cap is not only for nobles, but leopard skin would be high-tier unit thing.
    but keep in mind that most big felines were widespread up to greece and northern italy. they weren't as rare and expensive as today i suppose.

I think you'll find this article (in english) interesting : http://www.kerma.ch/index.php?option...per&Itemid=164. Maybe not for the unit, but for the buildings.

Kerma was a society based on cattle, big (oxen) and small (sheep). They are not hunters. In the tombs, oxen's and sheep's skulls have been found, but no feline's skull.

"Within the burials, the bodies were in the same flexed position resting on the right side, head toward the east. They are systematically placed on a carefully cut piece of bovine skin and then covered by a second skin (figure 16). Their clothing comprised a loincloth made of leather strips sewn together lengthwise that was tied at the hips by a twisted and knotted leather strap. Most individuals wore leather sandals, but we have not been able to identify linen shawls worn around the shoulders, generally noted in later burials. Apart from the presence of a few pottery found on the bottom of the grave, other objects include finery worn by the deceased, notably sea-shell earrings characteristic of this period (figure 17) as well as strings of beads, bracelets or rings. Ostrich feather fans, rare in the past, were regularly placed beside the deceased. Numerous tombs also contained fragments of goat-skin bags and the burial of a 2 to 3 year old child revealed an astonishing object comprised of three leather balls linked together by straps (figure 18). It resembles South American bolas, used as throwing weapons to capture animals (notably cattle) by entangling their legs. Another innovative characteristic of Kerma ancien II burials is the fairly regular presence of a wooden staff, or more rarely a bow, held in one of the deceased’s hands. The wooden staffs are approximately 1.2 metres in length and evoke the shepherd’s staff found in pastoral societies. As for bows, only one burial contained string fragments and the end of a bow (figure 16). Observations made regarding “the archer’s tomb” indicate that we are dealing with a simple straight bow of 1.20 metres in length, which corresponds to the length estimated from bow fragments found last winter. While “the tomb of the archer” contained the body of a young man, the one found in sector 23 belonged to a man more than 30 years old."

(http://kerma.ch/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=292)

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Deathshade View Post
    I think you'll find this article (in english) interesting : http://www.kerma.ch/index.php?option...per&Itemid=164. Maybe not for the unit, but for the buildings.

Kerma was a society based on cattle, big (oxen) and small (sheep). They are not hunters. In the tombs, oxen's and sheep's skulls have been found, but no feline's skull.

"Within the burials, the bodies were in the same flexed position resting on the right side, head toward the east. They are systematically placed on a carefully cut piece of bovine skin and then covered by a second skin (figure 16). Their clothing comprised a loincloth made of leather strips sewn together lengthwise that was tied at the hips by a twisted and knotted leather strap. Most individuals wore leather sandals, but we have not been able to identify linen shawls worn around the shoulders, generally noted in later burials. Apart from the presence of a few pottery found on the bottom of the grave, other objects include finery worn by the deceased, notably sea-shell earrings characteristic of this period (figure 17) as well as strings of beads, bracelets or rings. Ostrich feather fans, rare in the past, were regularly placed beside the deceased. Numerous tombs also contained fragments of goat-skin bags and the burial of a 2 to 3 year old child revealed an astonishing object comprised of three leather balls linked together by straps (figure 18). It resembles South American bolas, used as throwing weapons to capture animals (notably cattle) by entangling their legs. Another innovative characteristic of Kerma ancien II burials is the fairly regular presence of a wooden staff, or more rarely a bow, held in one of the deceased’s hands. The wooden staffs are approximately 1.2 metres in length and evoke the shepherd’s staff found in pastoral societies. As for bows, only one burial contained string fragments and the end of a bow (figure 16). Observations made regarding “the archer’s tomb” indicate that we are dealing with a simple straight bow of 1.20 metres in length, which corresponds to the length estimated from bow fragments found last winter. While “the tomb of the archer” contained the body of a young man, the one found in sector 23 belonged to a man more than 30 years old."

(http://kerma.ch/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=292)
    Cool, thanks for that excerpt.
    Btw. when you guys research the Kerma clothing keep in mind to focus on clothing of the era called "Kerma Classique" (Classical Kerma). Thats in the time from 1750 BC - 1500 BC and was the time when a centralized kingdom was founded.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; June 30, 2015 at 02:12 PM.

Cool, thanks for that excerpt.
    Btw. when you guys research the Kerma clothing keep in mind to focus on clothing of the era called "Kerma Classique" (Classical Kerma). Thats in the time from 1750 BC - 1500 BC and was the time when a centralized kingdom was founded.
    Yes, but in the reign of I belieeeeve Thutmoses the 1st Nubia was in its entirety annexed by Egypt. Of the research I have seen, Nubian clothing in the higher ranks of society was pretty egyptianized...with its own distinct flavors however. As for the military costume of those Nubian archers, I imagine it was just that. A costume. I cant imagine its a stylistic convention in Egyptian art because assyrian art also shows the feather kilt setup as well.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast