Add any general tips or tricks you use in the game:
* Beat any sized seige with the current seige bug. I have 6 units of spearmen & was assulted by a full stack. They attacked but because of the seige bug that makes them just stand there, i was able to move my spearmen to towers (alwoing them to fire) & baited the enemy by sending 1 unit out & pulling them back in quickly. It took about 30 mins, but the towers eventualy whittled away at the enemy unitl i was able to make a mad dash attack which broke them & i won the day
* Get experiance for free.
Before reinforcing your army in a city, try moving full units into other depleted units & sometimes you will gain an experiance chevron. (eg, if you have 1 full stack & 1 1/2 stack of archers, move the full stack to the 1/2 & the it might gain an experiance chevron. do thise will all units but make sure you dont loose a unit by adding to small numbers which wont create a whole unit. Instead send them to a city to reinforce)
* Bring lots of heavy caverly to a battle. They are the best unit in the game IMO. Ive saved many near defeats by saving my cav until the end & then charging them into the general & even though i took many looses, i ended up killing him & won the battle i should have easily lost. Just rememeber to keep attacking other enemy units after a charge to keep the charge bonus up (eg, make a charge, once its slows, attack another unit away from that. for some reason this helps break the unit you were just attacking quicker)
*Use your genrals horn. It actualy does work in this game. You see a unit break, blow the horn to stop the rest following suit. Also make sure you keep blowing it when it recharges.
* Use diplomate to make lots of $$$. Make lots of diplomates, around 1 for each enemy faction & keep them close to the enemy. After you beat an enemy in battle, talk to that faction with your diplomat & ask for a cease fire as well as $5000 (or any ammount, but i find $5k is close to most of thier limits. otherwise try 1k ) & they will most likely accept. Then just attack them next turn & then repeate the process until they are broke! Also it helps if you have an army in their territory or near their city.
* Place your archers on the left hand side of your battle line. The enemys shields are on their left hands, a space on their right. Also, once the enemy has commited all their troops (not before becuase they will counter your move), move your archers to the enemys flank or rear & watch the enemy break. Also it minimises your own troops losses by friendly fire.
* When in dangerous enemy territory & theres a threat of being attacks by big enemy armies, take special notice of the terrain in the campaigne map beofre you move. Always look for high groud & move from high ground to high ground. This can mean the differnece between success & failure on the battle map. This is especally important for armies with archers. Some maps have hills so high that your archers will pretty much take out 1/2 the enemy before they even get close to you.
*Break large armies will smaller armies by using bridges or small chock points, like city gates. Make sure you have some archers & strong moraled infantry. Use the infantry to block the bridge in gaurd mode & put the archers on the left hand side of your army & just pump fire arrows into the enemys flank unitl the break like bread.
* Target the enemy general with your archers. Again a make or break tactic. Even if you dont kill him before your lines meet, you should kill most of his body guards, so when you do meet in battle, he is killed much quicker. Obviously loosing generals is the biggest affect on maral in the game
* Use flame arrows when the enemy is approaching to make them break quicker & turn them off when they are retreating so they can fire more arrows at the enemies unprotected backs.
* Flame arrows work really well against cavelry. If you have the option & time, take them out 1st.
* When asking a faction for trade rights, trade maps at the same time so when its time to kick their ass, you know exactly where their cities are. Otherwise somtimes you can make money by just offering your map & nothing else.
* When your armie is being hassled by the enemies archers, use your cavelry to kill them (obviously) BUT dont click to attack on the enemy archers just yet. If you click to attack on them, the AI registers that an attack is comming & will pull the archers back quicker. instead, click a spot near & just past the archers & when you get so close that they cant escape, then click attack. This will stop the dreded 'attack the archers, they pull back to their infantry, you pull back, they stop & pump arrows into your horses rear. grrr'
* Only accept adoption of generals who have high loyalty rating. Whats the point of hiring them, only to have them back stab you a few years later.
* Generals with low loyalty suck. Either marry them to one of your pricess to raise their loyalty, or keep them in a unit who has a general with higher loyalty than him & after many battles it might increase. Never leave them on their own or else they might betray you.
*If christian, build lots of churchs & priests to cut down on herrisy, thus cutting down on thsoe bloody inqusidors
*When inqusidors invade your land, your F*&ked. Move all generals & preists out of that regions until they F-off. My poor father bob had really high peitey, but they still killed him ;(
Anyone got anymore?