Thread: Carthage navy and roman unit problems

Default Carthage navy and roman unit problems

Hello fellas,
    I have a problem when i am playing with Carthage: the navies don't want to combine with each others. Can you tell me what to change in my game to solve the problem?
    And the second question: when I start to play with Rome my armies ar the standard ones (triarii, principes..) but i cannot see the name of the legions and the texture of units like this one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 640px-Roman_military_clothes_National_Military_Museum_Bucharest_Romania.jpg  

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Carthage navy and roman unit problems

Hi,

1. - admirals are named characters with traits and ancillaries so you can't merge them just so simple... what you can do now is to take all ships from a fleet except one unit - let's say the 'flagship' - and give them to another fleet, but the named character - the admiral - must remain.

2. - in the times when the game start, the Roman army was very-very different from the general "roman army and roman legionary stereotypy" portrayed mosty in sword and sandal movies but we have some recent examples also - Spartacus (cartoon-like) series... where even the ludus' guard were equiped like imperial roman legionaries... so in that times the Romans used conscripted citizens for their army. The professional legions appeared in late Republican era and the equipment portrayed in your picture even later, in Imperial era.

You can google a lot of interesting sites and even free books about this topic or you can start here for a short description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_legion

The mod developers did a wonderful job and the unit descriptions also contains a lot of info about units, the historical periods when units were in use, etc.

You can recruit soldiers like this going through several phases of army/structure developments:

- as you noted in the game's early phase you can recruit the so called "Polybian era" troops (early republic manipular army)

- in time you have to get the "Marian Reform" - the transition from conscripted army to professional legions. You have to build the Imperial palace in Akragas, Sicily for this. At this point you will be able to recruit "generic" or "Marian" legionaries.

- after the Marian Reform you have to build the Circus Maximus in Roma. At this point the background script will build in every city a building called "Augustan Reform". When it's done you finally will be able to recruit troops more or less like in your picture

- don't be depressed if you can't recruit these troops at the beginning: the "old" Polybian legions and the Triarii are also tough guys and is a real fun conquering a half world with them. Really.

Read the building descriptions also, there are infos about reforms and the steps you have to go through to get them.

Have fun!
    Last edited by ferike_2007; April 27, 2015 at 04:59 AM. Reason: n