Default Re: GaW - Persia Preview

its amazing
    I'm returned again...

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Thanks friend

Quote Originally Posted by almas1985 View Post

Thanks for advice but I want make a unit like this photo. This is Immortal Spearman in Iranian historian Point of view.

This is accurate as it gets but the truth was that they covered their helmets with cloth, Explain the smurf looking hat they wear + it is a well known thing for eastern armies to cover their helmets with cloth due to the heat in long marches under the sun. explain much why they would tie the head dress as well. unfortunately western historians place facts according what a Greek saw or heard. I believe there were events where Greeks were shocked why their weapons were not piercing through a Persians solider. it was mainly due to him wearing heavy armor underneath the cloth. The Achaemenid helmets were most likely similar in style to Scythian Kuban helmets.
    Last edited by Hyrus; June 05, 2015 at 12:55 PM.

Oh and btw GOOD JOB on the modeling !! well done sir !!

Thanks mate. It would make sense for achaemenid helmets to be Scythian inspired, many of their weapons are after all. Also I don't buy that for some reason the Persians (whose homeland has a lot of Iron around it) would not use helmets unlike all other cultures around them. They are often depicting not doing it (shure for common soldiers) but elite soldiers and veterans and all I think had them mostly instead of cloth covering the entire head.

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Thanks mate. It would make sense for achaemenid helmets to be Scythian inspired, many of their weapons are after all. Also I don't buy that for some reason the Persians (whose homeland has a lot of Iron around it) would not use helmets unlike all other cultures around them. They are often depicting not doing it (shure for common soldiers) but elite soldiers and veterans and all I think had them mostly instead of cloth covering the entire head.

EXACTLY !! as I said only explanation for the smurf looking cloth head dress is to cover a helmet and I totally agree that the native army that consisted of the Persians and Medians must have wore helmets for they were supplied directly by the king of kings him self. Although this might not be the case for the Sparabara units because their main and sole purpose was to create a shield wall in order to protect the archers behind them while the cavalry flanked the enemy so they had to be light and swift moving to pull back when pressured by the enemy. they were never meant to face the enemy head on . this is clearly shown in Greek pottery were the marching hoplite is attacking a poor equipped Persian laying behind his spara shield. it was a well known tactic for the regular Persian army. The native army was not always sent to fight battles and were certainly not garrisoned cities other than the the capital due to them empowering satraps. So satraps were mostly responsible of gathering their own troops to protect the border , that's why western satraps were relying on Greek mercenaries due to them being very reliable.
    Last edited by Hyrus; June 05, 2015 at 01:29 PM.

i make this helmet quickly ^^

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

Yep, this is also stunning as hell!

Suspended by Request
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by decoco View Post
    i make this helmet quickly ^^
    This is way I've Always desired a 3d modeller in a team so many surprises and a feeling of omnipotence a texturer can't have

Great work Linke too. My next step through Rome II is called Greeks at war

Thanks for the suppor DramaBelli
    Spread the word !!

Justice to Persia! Wonderful units. They make the vanilla units loom even more plain and drab. It must have taken you a ton of work to make these but well done! The Karians and Phoenicians may look a little too Greek but no big deal. +rep

Persia has yet to see some corrections and changes.Thanks for the feedback

I just noticed, the Greek Koine nominative (plural) for Lydians is Lydoi not Lydioi and the Greek for Phrygians is Phryges not Phrygioi. Also the Greek nominative plural for the Cilicians is Kilikes but why don't you use the English words (Lydians, Phrygians and Cilicians)? After all, you use Karians and Phoenicians. I do not think we need to introduce Greek grammar and spelling into the English language. There are better qualified experts who can rewrite the rules, if there is a need for it. The average player would not be able to deal with Greek grammar anyway. For example, we have Athenai triremes in Wrath of Sparta where we should have had the adjective Athenian in the nominative plural (Athenaikae in Koine, practically unpronounceable in English). There is no need for giving anyone a crash course in ancient languages. Just do everything in English. Athenian triremes is more than good enough.

Also I wonder if it would be possible to have a set of these Persian units as a submod to replace the vanilla units in Wrath of Sparta. The vanilla units look boring as hell.

names are not fixed yet.Currently there is an unorganised mix of English and Greek names.By release we will have proper names in both languages. Thanks for the feedback

They look great.

Fardin's Avatar Civis

I think you should look at Achaemenid inscriptions for making units first and you must not trust greek one sided historians so much.They (specially Herodotus) have lied so much for Unbelievable battles for example One of the german commanders(unfortunately I can't remember the name)(before ww2) After visiting marathon battlefield said:even one thousand soldiers can not go in formation in this small place so how could that great war(that Herodotous says) happen here?
    This site would be helpful:http://kavehfarrokh.com

I use Herodotus mostly for the non Persian levies of the empire where there are few other sources, the Persian units themselves are based on other sources like Pottery, archeology, and historical descriptions. The thing is there are few contemporary non Greek sources

The models look amazing! I really enjoyed the beta released in February, but I mainly want to play with these beautiful units. Will there be another release in the next few months?

we are working for a 2 -3 month release

Fardin's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    The thing is there are few contemporary non Greek sources
    I agree.The most of the persian documents destroyed in arabs and mongols invasions and it's very hard to find proper sources but showing the history is an important job so you should not be under the influence of only greek sources.
    I thank you for not being incurious to real history unlike CA.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast