Thread: Impossible to run M2 mods on win7 OS

Default Impossible to run M2 mods on win7 OS

Does anyone here play their m2 mods on a win7 system? I find that mods don't work properly at all, for a start the mod files themselves tend to be messed with after they are downloaded... and this makes the installation always screw up. This happens across an array of m2 mods and makes it borderline impossible to get them working. An exception is EB2 but I think that is down to their installer... most mod installers come in parts and tend to be messed with e.g. I have to force them to be executables by adding exe to the end. Someone recommended disabling UAC but that is disabled by default on my system. Or could it be AVG? Still that usually tells me when it plans to mess with files

Default Re: Impossible to run M2 mods on win7 OS

I haven't noticed any such problems. Mod folders are not affected. Are you placing the mods outside the Program Files (x86)?

No I have m2 installed there, but I don't think that is the problem. I have the steam version installed, and now I am getting a different issue. When I try to launch the mod I get 'kingdoms exe not found' It appears to be a common issue caused by someone deciding to merge the m2 exe with the kingdoms one for the steam version. I have already tried the workaround where you copy the m2 exe and then rename it to kingdoms exe... the mod launches but it loads up vanilla m2 for some reason. So another dead end. Somebody else recommended renaming the mod folder e.g. 'broken crescent' to one of the vanilla expansions e.g. british isles (after renaming BI to something else) and that this will make the mod launch properly. Haven't tried it yet as I will have to reinstall m2 again ugh, anyone else used this technique? I would like a confirmation before dicking around with m2 again... also the steam version patches beyond the 1.5 non-steam version? Not exactly sure if this is the case but if so will it affect the mods?

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

i ve win 8.1 64 bit
    i ve gold edition
    i play and i mod the game now.there is no problem.i installed inside programfiles x86 as well

ur problem is steam version.

I do not have the Steam version but certainly most of us have Windows 7 or Windows 8. The mod works on both. It is not the operating system per se, just the Steam version was not really made with running mods in mind. Perhaps experiment with Durin's ModStarter, hopefully it will work. If it works, rename it to BrokenCrescent.exe and launch the mod from that.

As Durin explains, his modStarter.exe calls the kingdoms.exe, so you do not have to use the Steam launcher.

Edit: There is additional advice on youtube on running mods with Steam here and here.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; May 02, 2015 at 09:31 AM.

All I had to do to run with both Steam and Win 7 was install everything as normal.Then make a copy of the .exe and name it "kingdoms". And everything runs no problem, well so far anyway. The launch tool for the mod only seems to care about the name of the .exe not its origin. And since the steam version of the game has a fused exe...
    Last edited by War lord; June 04, 2015 at 08:40 PM.

nnnm's Avatar Senator

just copy medieval2.exe and rename the copy Kingdoms.exe and the mods will run just fine on steam