Thread: The Bear and the Tiger: Two Roads to Kyoto - having some major issues

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Icon1 The Bear and the Tiger: Two Roads to Kyoto - having some major issues

Hello all, I am currently writing about a game in Medieval 2, but I took a small break from playing and picked up Shogun 2... and long story short I want to write about it as well. For now, this one will have slightly slower updates, since I will be trying to weave the stories of two different clans, the Chosokabe and the Takeda, together, which involves two separate playthroughs, and maintaining my other story. The two clans (and AAR's) will be told in different styles, and, well, you'll see. I will be posting the first chapter within the next 10 hours because I'm sure I'll need a break from studying at some point.

Further Explanation: The Chosokabe are my go-to faction; they have that nice start on Shikoku so they are isolated, and then there are their wicked archers, so I typically pick them for a first playthrough or when testing a mod. I liked them so much with Darthmod + better archery mod that I decided to use that game. As for the Takeda, they are fairly romanticized and I was drawn to them because of their use of cavalry and a book I read some time ago, The Samurai's Tale. I have yet to start that game because I need to finish tweaking some files, but unfortunately that must wait until after this round of tests. I also play with the Japan Expanded Mod, which adds some 100 provinces and nearly as many more clans. Really what I want is longer combat and perhaps some other changes, primarily for longer battles (and thus some actual maneuvering) and more realistic army numbers (although it definitely strains my PC at times)

As for the name: Takeda Shingen is of course referred to as the Tiger of Kai, and with my Chosokabe campaign I wanted to associate my Daimyo with an animal so I chose the bear. It rather fits his personality as well as being native to the island, the Roaring Bear of Tosa. Will they meet face-to-face, or their sons? I actually have no idea

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Edit: gonna be another 6 hours I believe
    Last edited by waveman; June 18, 2015 at 12:51 AM. Reason: I overslept a bit

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: The Bear and the Tiger: Two Roads to Kyoto

"Sit foreigners, and listen, if you can find within yourselves the patience to do so. Trade and wealth are not the only important things in this world. There is power, for one, There are also duty, loyalty, serenity, honor, and inner peace. Do I value your wares? Of course; what sane man would not recognize the power of the teppo, but you must also know of our people. You must learn why you should lend your support to the Chosokabe.
    "My grandfather, Chosokabe Kanetsugu, did not do enough to protect his lands. As out power waned, some of our vassals deserted us, until we were weak. The one good move he made was to send my father to Ichijo Fusiae in the west of Shikoku. Not long after this our castle, Oko, was taken by the Motoyama clan and my grandfather killed. This was not to be the end of the clan though, for my father, Chosokabe Kunichika, was strong and resolute even then. One night a drunk Fusiae proposed to him that he would help the Chosokabe regain our lands in Tosa if Kunichika would jump off the side of the castle.
    "Kunichika did so, to the Ichijo Daimyo's great surprise. And so, some years later, Kunichika and Ichijo Fusiae led a force of Ichijo men into Tosa to take back Oko. Many of our people remained loyal during this time and rose against the Motoyama, and Oko Castle was again ours and the Motoyama were pushed out of Tosa.

Edit: I'll put some screens up in a bit

"But Kunichika did not stop there. He immediately lessened the taxes on the farmers and encouraged trade, and greatly strengthened the clan's military forces. Ichijo Fusiae passed during this time, and was replaced by his nephew Fusamoto. Fusamoto had been jealous of the affection and favoritism that his uncle Fusiae had shown Kunichika, a man from a different clan, and so in 1545 invaded Tosa in an act of treachery that did not surprise my father. They clashed at the Battle of West Tosa Fields with several thousand men each, but Kunichika's military reforms and leadership proved to be more than a mach for the Ichijo who fled the field and plead for peace.
    "And now I have matters to attend to. If you have questions, find my attendants. Do not seek me out."
    Last edited by waveman; April 27, 2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: forgetfulness + clarity

I wonder how you'll portray the infamous vespa samurai? Good start and interesting decision on choosing two clans. Not quite sure how that is going to work still but I'm sure it will be interesting nonetheless.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I like your idea of telling the story of two clans and look forward to seeing how your AAR develops.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Takeda Yoshinobu had disregarded his lessons for the day. He knew that he would be punished, but he accepted that. Everything has a price. Well, at least that's what he had taken from his most recent lessons. Either a price, or a reward, or neither, unless one is also the other.

There were reasons why he had escaped them.

As he ran towards the wall of Kofu Castle, he could see that some of his friends were there already. Good. Right where I told them we would meet. The other boys greeted him cheerfully yet not with the respect that most would give the heir of the Takeda, even though he was only 9. No, these friends were his closest and hailed primarily from the greatest families in Kai. They had as much right as Yoshinobu did to be on the walls of Kofu on that warm spring day. Almost.

"Shh! There they are!"

They crowded around the foot of an archer tower near a place in the wall where the masonry was crumbling and a small portion of the upper wall had collapsed and gone unocticed, hidden as it was by some trees. The people in the castle-town cheered as 3000 red-clad warriors of the Kai marched out of the castle, led by their Daimyo Takeda Shingen, Yoshinobu's father. The boys watched giddily as Shingen rode out with his bodyguard of 100 mounted samurai, followed by 2000 ashigaru spearmen and another 1000 samurai.

Yoshinobu and the other boys looked at each other. They knew that they would be in that place, someday. Someday they would be marching to crush the enemies of Kai and the Takeda. News was already reaching them of Takeda Nobushige's victory in the north over a Murakami invasion, crushed between yari and the famous horsemen of the Takeda. They knew that Shingen was soon to add to the glory and prestige of the Takeda, and that in several years, they would to.

As the last samurai disappeared from sight, the boys returned to the castle, ready to make peace with their tutors.
    Last edited by waveman; May 01, 2015 at 05:31 PM.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Again, I'll get some pics up soon; I view them more as a supplement than a necessity an I got caught up in some momentous events within the campaign.

Merchant, I think my Motochika won't be quite as evil of a vespa-samurai, although I'll have to see how the campaign/story develops to be sure

Alwyn, thanks! I'm thinking that following the development of a more eastern clan and a more western one should be interesting, as well as their inevitable (?) interactions

Venomousmonkey's Avatar Civis

What a terrific start to your AAR! I hope to see more of this!

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Thanks Venemousmonkey, you shall!

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Takeda

Barely a week after these exciting events, Yoshinobu's lessons took a turn for the better, at least in his opinion. His teacher Amari Masatada had chosen this day to deviate from the usual: instead of lessons in calligraphy and studying the gunki, writings of previous bushi, today he would learn about his uncle Nobushige's victory and, according to Masatada, a surprise.

Masatada began the lesson after some other young children from the samurai families of Kofu arrived. After waiting several minutes so the boys could calm themselves, he began speaking when all but the youngest were still.

"Our general Nobushige won an important victory at Kuwabara. Our province of Kai has been under threat for too long in the north, and when Iwaki Tsunemasta crossed into our lands with 2000 Murakami soldiers, it was too much. Nobushige confronted him with a slight numerical advantage. What does this mean?"

The boys were silent, so Masatada continued: "It meant he could take the offensive and so deny his opponent the initiative. But he only had a few hundred more men. So what did this mean?"

When it became clear that the older man would not continue until one of the boys volunteered an answer, Yoshinobu cleared his throat. "It meant he must be cautious, sensei."

"Good, Taro," said Masatada, using Yoshinobu's childhood name. "But one must always be careful with one's troops, yes? Too many Ashigaru fallen means a more difficult harvest, too many samurai and Kai is greatly weakened, too many horses and what will the horsemen ride? But in a sense, yes you are correct. Now, what was Nobushige's other advantage?" Masatada enquired, with a slight smile. He knew that they would all have an answer for this.

"His cavalry!" chorused the boys, each and every one of them proud of their heritage as the fierce horsemen of Kai.

"Indeed. And having the advantage in horse, how did Nobushige use them?"

"On his flanks!" they all answered.

"Yes, indeed, on his flanks. And as soon as the Murakami horsemen advanced Nobushige's own horsemen and yari ashigaru engaged them, while the rest of the infantry charged Tsunemasta's lines.
    But, what of the other horsemen?"

Yoshinobu knew the answer to this question as well. Proudly, he answered his teachers question. "While his enemy was distracted my uncle rode around his flanks using the woods and hills to hide his movements, then struck the Murakami infantry from behind."'

Good, thought Masatada. These boys, especially Yoshinobu, show great promise as generals of the Takeda and commanders of cavalry. But they must still learn of the infantry, the dance of the yari and the singing of the yumi, but it is a start.

"You are all dismissed," Masatada told the boys some hours later after discussing the tactics and pros and cons of each commander's strategy. "Taro, stay behind."

Curious, Yoshinobu did as he was bidden. When the others had left, Masatada turned back to his lord's eldest son. "Now for your real test."

"My what, sense?" Yoshinobu was surprised.

"You are on track to be the heir of the Takeda and so you must be prepared, Taro. We may be sheltered in Kai by the mountains, but the Takeda have many enemies. Tell me, what is to our south?"

Yoshinobu smiled. This was easy. "The Hojo, headed by Ujiyasu, and their minor branches. West of them in Suruga, the Imagawa, our allies, a clan we hope to come closer to. East, there are small clans fighting over the fertile plains."

"And west?"

"West are the Kiso, my cousin Nene was married to on of their Daimyo's nephews. So we trade," Yoshinobu said with a slight sneer.

Masataka noticed and immediately rebuked his student. "Remember Taro that while merchants and traders are among the lowest classes we cannot go without them. Not in this time. We need the wares they bring, we need the income, to finance our armies. Now, what else about the Kiso?"

Yoshinobu shut his eyes, trying to remember. "Trade...... will make them more friendly. A buffer to our west, guarding the passes there. That way we can watch the south from Kofu while the Kiso and the Sanada, our vassals to the east, watch there."

"Which leaves..?" prompted Masatada.

"The north and the Murakami!" Yoshinobu said, slamming his fist on the floor.

"Indeed, but do their lands border ours?" Yoshinobu sat back, confused; the Murakami lands were farther north into Shinano province. "Who are our northern neighbors, Taro? What does this tell you about them?"

"They are the Takoto sensei. But does this mean that the Murakami have taken their lands?"

Masatada looked at Yoshinobu. Wise for one so young, yet still naive. "No Taro, the Takoto have broken our peace and have joined the Murakami in war against us. That is how their army reached our lands so easily. Do not be disheartened, you have done well. We will see to it that you do better, but that was good for now. And now, your surprise: your father Takeda Shingen has marched on the Takoto, having come to this conclusion some time ago, and defeated them in their home province. He is now laying seige to their castle, where their lord Ieyuki fled after the battle."

Yoshinobu was surprised and full of excitement and questions, but Masatada would not answer them, claiming that Yoshinobu needed to learn patience and that he did not know all of the details yet. Instead he moved on to other topics and problems of the Takeda: the Sanada were sullen, Kai was not a wealthy province, there were so many enemies to the north and the south was growing unfriendly...

Soon, vowed Yoshinobu, soon I will know what happened.

And yes, I'll add a map soon
    Last edited by waveman; May 18, 2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: followingsome advice

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Roads to Kyoto ey?

Good stuff so far

waveman's Avatar Decanus

I just realized that Hitai wrote an AAR called the Road to Kyoto.... *facepalm*

Also I'm not going to be working on this until summer (specifically summer break, which for me starts around mid-June). Just not enough time to balance two campaigns at the moment

But it SHALL continue!

I just read through your last updates. A very good start with excellent screenshots, although I advise you don't place them in spoilers because it makes the story less immersive if the reader has to click to see the pictures. Screenshots shouldn't be separate from your story but complimentary. But a very good start nonetheless, I can't wait until you continue on it when summer break comes around.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Thank you, I've actually just started to put my screens out of spoilers I believe, just the whole chapter inside one spoiler. Plus, I may well go back and edit the writing that I have done so far to fit this format

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: The Bear and the Tiger: Two Roads to Kyoto - on hold till mid june, more or less

I have bad news comrades: I cannot for the life of me get Shogun 2 to work. I spent like 5 hours trying to get it to start, along with a couple other games which I was able to fix more or less, but for some reason Shogun just won't cooperate. Which is a tad frustrating. I mean, I had like 20-30 years' worth of playing chronicled, but now that seems to have all been a waste

Now attempting another potential fix... but it's getting late and I have work tomorrow so we may just be SOL
    Last edited by waveman; June 18, 2015 at 12:58 AM.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: The Bear and the Tiger: Two Roads to Kyoto - having some major issues

"In these troubled times
    The world breaks fiercely apart
    What is life or death?"

The man sat, kneeled, looked at what he had written. He studied the birds in the sky, so free of the trappings of fate, the doom that confined him. The world was changing - that was for sure, but even the technology of the gai-jin would probably be unable to save him. He picked up the naked blade that lay beside him, admiring its exquisite beauty....

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Bear and the Tiger: Two Roads to Kyoto - having some major issues

waveman, I beg you, put down the blade. Step away from the blade. Stay with us, my friend!

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with Shogun II. I hope at some point you will find a way to play it again - even if it doesn't save this AAR.

Try rescuing the saves at least, I know all too well the hell that are technical problems.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Man, I'm sad I lost this one. At one point Takeda Shingen beat an Anegakoji invasion force of 22,000 men with only 12,000; one of the most intense battles I've ever had in TW

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ