Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: New game announced - Total War: WARHAMMER

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Still waiting for a movie in the (in my opinion much nicer) Blizzard trailers style, which are amazing be it either for fantasy or sci-fi, and that not even their own Warcraft movie will have.

I guess they don't see a big enough audience that would dig that to justify the investment. The people with the money would rather make a goddamned trilogy out of Avatar
    Thy might get surprised of how many people would watch.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I want Skaven

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    I want Skaven
    Me too. Bring on the poison incense bearers.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    I've always been more interested in the miniatures and the "visual" part of it. I guess that the fact that I got into Warhammer as a little boy just because I walked by a Games Workshop store window in Madrid and was bought a small starter box of 40k orks and ultramarines just so I could play with them (literally play with them, as if they were action figures) has a lot to do with that .
    I remember that box haha, called into my friends house one day and he had these amazing models.... wow that was 16 years ago now that I think about it. He was nice enough to let me take the rule book home for a week and read it, remember the one where they actually had every army in the rulebook :O Got the starter box myself a few weeks later for my birthday.

Im glad they will finally make a fantasy total war!

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Moved to our shiny new Warhammer TW forum

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    Moved to our shiny new Warhammer TW forum
    Thanks!

I can no longer wait! Please make the game as soon as possible!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh !!!!

The trailer does leave me quite worried about them forcing this end times stuff down our throats.

There are a lot of unknowns though, will they make 12 different empire factions for example? A different faction for each dwarf hold? or one race-one faction policy?

Hoping for different mechanics for different races, but balancing seems a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh !!!!

The trailer does leave me quite worried about them forcing this end times stuff down our throats.

There are a lot of unknowns though, will they make 12 different empire factions for example? A different faction for each dwarf hold? or one race-one faction policy?

Hoping for different mechanics for different races, but balancing seems a pain.
    If they do make sub-factions I reckon it'll be like the Roman Families in R2. Different bonuses and shiz.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

The obvious one for greenskins being Orcs and Goblins; two different races under the umbrella of "greenskins"; and considering that under that, excluding the two major warlords of each faction; Grimgor for the former, and Skarsnik for the latter, each tribe is highly individualised and self combative. I see these working as hundreds of roving bands that are otherwise able to make a confederation.

In regards to the Empire, there are 10 different provinces (of which 4 are major powers) based around a pantheon with mostly 2-3 main figurehead deities, depending on city (majority = Sigmar, Middenheim = Ulric, Talabecland/Talabheim = Taal), and a seperatist faction ruling Marienburg independent from the majority of strictures of the Empire by and large.

The dwarfs despite having a high king are fairly autonomous in their holds. Each hold is ruled by a King, ranging from an old stalward King Alrik of Karak Hirn who dislikes newfangled technologies and prefers to meet opponents with axe and crossbow, or Belegar, a more modern king, while another is King Ungrim Ironfist; a king who attempts to fulfil both his role of King and master of the dwarfen Berserker cult and simultaneously fails to complete either.

The Undead are actually quite centralized within the Old World; there are the Von Carsteins who are ruled with an iron fist by Mannfred, but within the Worlds Edge Mountains, there are the Vampires of Silver Peak of another "bloodline" (the Lahmians, ruled by Neferata, although there are numerous covens in the major human cities of the old world), while several other kinds of vampires are the Blood Dragons (notably the Red Duke of Mousillon - although that is Bretonnia), the Necrarch (notably Zacharias the Everliving, one of the oldest and most powerful vampires with the exception of the "first born") and the Strigoi (Vorag the Ghoul King being among the most notable, but it's unclear if he's still alive, and he's to the south of the Old World in the Badlands; traditionally Greenskin territory.

And Chaos... well. Chaos is chaos. They have no centralised ruler other than the esoteric desires and whims of their individual gods and warband leaders attempting to gain the favour of those gods; essentially spirits created from emotion; one of wrath and anger and pride (Khorne, oversimplistically called the Blood God), one of fate and change (Tzeentch, who is a master at magic), one of sensation and love - physical, emotional and whether it's between lovers, family, brothers in arms, or a man to his lord (Slaanesh) and one of entropy, decay, and fear of death (Nurgle). On top of these 4 major gods, there is the "Undivided" worship of the pantheon; whether it's as little as paying lip service to those beings of power like mumbling a quick prayer, or a full blown proskynesis type worship to the complete pantheon; others include creatures such as Be'lakor - the first of the Daemon Princes (melding of mortal and daemonkind as raised by the gods) who is determined to break the shackles placed on him by the gods after he attempted to become a true god himself and now seeks their downfall, and the so called Chaos Dwarfs, or the Dawi Zharr; a long lost sect of the Dwarfs who embraced the coming of Chaos to the disgust of their kin, and were able to learn the technique of binding daemons into metal; creating daemon powered traction engines and constructs inhabited by bound daemons, and the Marauder tribes of the far east who raid Cathay, and finally, the corrupting influence of the Great Maw, a quasi daemon meteor accidentally summoned from the depths of space by the greatest of the Cathayan wizards (in an attempt to protect their lands from Marauding Ogres) which turned the once "cultured" Ogre tribes into degenerative inbreds who can only think with their stomach (although Ogres themselves don't really worship the Chaos pantheon).

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    Now that I think about it... what will happen with sea battles? I'm not too familiar with GW's fantasy naval game but it didn't do very well, right?
    There was a spin off game years ago based on fantasy battles naveys kinda like the spin off space fleet game for 40k

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    How so? Isn't all the stuff shown based on the old editions? Is it because of the "our rules have changed" line?

Yeaaah that line gave me shivers. Please don't use the End Times lore! It sucks!

But I don't think we will be playing with the End Times factions, or lack of factions rather, it wouldn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MoulderingCorpse View Post
    It was, and it wasn't. Warhammer Fantasy Battle rides that borderline between skirmish and mass combat. It's undstandable, since having an actual army of tabletop figures would both bankrupt 99% of players, and game turns would take hours to move all the pieces. Warhammer 40K is most certainly a skirmish situation.

GW did have a truly mass combat game in Space Marine/Titan Legions/Epic, but they ruined that with the re-release of Epic 40,000. I say ruined because the rules were mostly scaled down from the 40mm game to 6mm Epic scale.

Anyway, long story short, it seems like a perfect match, but WHFB is really a skirmish scale combat system.
    Oh dont, epic was my fave space marine was the first time gw made a box set game with rules included I had that then titan legions add on with the stunning imperator titan even the re-release was partly made up for by the improved models that were cheap compared to the full scale games
    I want a game based on that any one remember final liberation the turn based game

Quote Originally Posted by frenchyvinnie View Post
    Yeaaah that line gave me shivers. Please don't use the End Times lore! It sucks!

But I don't think we will be playing with the End Times factions, or lack of factions rather, it wouldn't make any sense.
    It has been stated that End times has nothing to do with this title.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalatorni View Post
    It has been stated that End times has nothing to do with this title.
    Do you have a source? We've all been assuming the game would stick to the old lore since it's the most logical choice, but I've never heard CA or GW address the issue.

'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Will CA View Post
    It's not set during the End Times, Total War: Warhammer will take place before.
    Well, the only thing that confirmed is that the first game won't be set in End Times, but that does not take away the possibility that it is set immediatly before them, and that the second and/or third game in the trilogy could lead to the cataclysmic events of the End Times, as some sort of Grand Finale.

Sweet speculation

petertel123's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Collateral_dmg View Post
    But maybe something like in Empire. You did have pretty much the entire populated world at that time in the game (india, americas etc.). So it's not impossible.
    are you kidding me? They left out east-asia, sub-saharan africa, most of south america and indo-china. India, north-america and Europe is not "the entire populated world" by a long shot