Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Steam Reviews

Default Re: Ridiculous Steam Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    You have to accept that people have different opinions. Just because you think that the game is fun doesn't mean that others do. I get just as annoyed at fanboys as you appear to be getting at detractors, but you just have to get on with it and tolerate other people's right to have views which are different from your own.
    You misunderstand, the reviews were positive regarding the game itself, hell there are even more positive reviews than negative ones and even more so if you actually read the comments. I respect opinions regarding the game issues when they were actually mentioned but not about some stupid faction DLC... honestly? faction DLC?

if you think I am a fan boy just look at my comment history, especially during R2 I was one of the harshest critics. There is a difference between a game because of features or minor aesthetic DLCs that dont even matter.

In your opinion they are minor aesthetic DLCs, in others they appear to be integral to enjoying the game. Northern Europe is just as bland as the other regions without purchasing the 3 culture packs. DLCs are part of the game, it's completely fine that people can Get mad that all of these DLCs are being released so soon after the game is released. As we can see CA is looking like it's floundering right now with the fiasco of rome 2 total war battle kingdoms and poor sale numbers for attila. Their answer is advertising their newest game (warhammer) instead of addressing the concerns of a large section of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmck View Post
    In your opinion they are minor aesthetic DLCs, in others they appear to be integral to enjoying the game. Northern Europe is just as bland as the other regions without purchasing the 3 culture packs. DLCs are part of the game, it's completely fine that people can Get mad that all of these DLCs are being released so soon after the game is released. As we can see CA is looking like it's floundering right now with the fiasco of rome 2 total war battle kingdoms and poor sale numbers for attila. Their answer is advertising their newest game (warhammer) instead of addressing the concerns of a large section of the community.
    Is the game unplayable without them? is it pay to win? is it like ESO's imperial faction or is it like Ranger Mode controversy. The thing is what you consider "essential" is completely subjective and there are already 2 dozen mods adding all sorts of units, faction customizations and more. All completely free and unrestricted.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Is the game unplayable without them? is it pay to win? is it like ESO's imperial faction or is it like Ranger Mode controversy. The thing is what you consider "essential" is completely subjective and there are already 2 dozen mods adding all sorts of units, faction customizations and more. All completely free and unrestricted.
    The game can be playable with no family tree, or with graphics, and only one faction. It's all relative. This is not about you
    What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I am just shocked, "Not Recommended" frigging everywhere!

This is a decent game guys, its fun, somewhat balanced and new features that give some refreshing gameplay style.
    There are issues yes and CA has shown they are willing to update and fix them. So why all these negative reviews? After reading 2 dozen of them I constantly see "the game is fun but OMG THERE IS DLC QQ!!!!" Just sad.

If you dont like DLCs then dont buy them, its just some crappy faction DLCs anyway and mods add more content for things some people might feel is missing. I don't think I have ever seen a company judged as harshly as CA is being judged.
    have you been reading and following this forum? I have since release. the trolling and out right negativity surrounding this superb game has stopped me from participating in this forum.

DLC NOT FREE!!! 1 star!
    no sandals on taht soldier??? 1 star!
    no super camplicated map tool that even the best modders can figure out how to use??? 1 star!
    a feature I want is missing??? 1 star!
    ca didn't include something I want??? 1 star!

on and on, you get the picture. some of them even try to put a spin on something good about the game to sling mud at it. I wish mods can ban them outright.
    I really, really don't envy will ca's job. he literally has to pick through to find the gold nuggets.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The thing is that these people consider the DLC and DLC policy important. Got a problem with it? Gouge out your eyes or something. They're not even written for you to read.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

I'm under the impression that the honeymoon is over, and the game is not viable for discussion in GD in a broad sense. I'm using those words and terms very loosely.

Attila's meant to be played in this awkward time, unless you're writing reviews or articles about it. The forums have slowed down drastically lately.

Two things will get GD going again, and that's the Mod Workshop coming online, followed by the first campaign DLC. Then you'll see this place roaring again. I agree with the sports comparison. Reviews are no place for exclusively discussing business practices that are outside the experience you played. Same goes for the comments about lack-luster northern europe. The variety is there, it's just not unlocked for the player and I don't think it's reasonable, nor a subjective aim at all for the Celts to be playable in a game that covers the entire European, and near-eastern continent in the early Dark Ages. I'd agree they might have a case for Longbeards, in so far as playability.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    I have mixed feelings about Attila. On one hand, the game has a really cool setting, nice new features (razing settlements, family tree, ever set a forest on fire during a MP battle? <- it's super fun) and has amazing potential, but the game is currently bordering on unplayable because of the CAI and some very very bad design flaws (i.e. the Sassanids and their tons of vassals.) At the moment, the game is only really fun to play to play in Northwestern Europe because it's the only part of the map that CA has released new factions for and somewhat balanced. What was arguably the most powerful entity in the Dark/Early Middle Ages (the ERE) always falls apart due to a combination of Hellenistic Era "successor states" rebelling and a vastly overpowered Sassanid menace. If this feature isn't fixed/rethought then the game will always be a failure in my eyes. I imagine that Eastern Europe will eventually get updates/DLC as well but I currently cannot bring myself to campaign in that region while the Slavs are Germans, the Alans are half Germanic/half Hunnic, the Roxolani/Iazyges are Huns, and you risk provoking the Sassanids if you expand too close towards the Caucasus.

Diplomacy is a bit broken and borderline racist (everyone seems to want to build alliances only with factions that are of the same culture), you cannot trade regions, and climate change is vastly overblown (and irreversible). I have a ERE campaign going in 480 and the entire world is infertile. I'd say that there needs to be a script added that begins reversing the effects after 460.

Anways yeah, CA sorta dug this hole for themselves by initially releasing a game with so many obvious holes in it. I'm fully confident that with time they'll clean many of these features up and Attila will end up in the pantheon of great TW games like M2TW, NTW, and S2, but for now the game definitely deserves the "Not Recommended" review.

Edit: I'm all for DLC. The more the merrier. This game really needs it.

This - Mods will do the trick for Free... Im waiting the Assembly kit and starts to fix exactly this. Will take this Comment as a good Feadback when doing it

minor aesthetic DLCs that dont even matter.
    The thing is what you consider "essential" is completely subjective
    Subjectivity, huh? Let me ask you something, did you consider the Greek city state DLC for Rome 2 'minor aesthetics' too? Let's talk about subjectivity, you think the factions left out of Attila are non-essential and minor aesthetics? I think anyone who has even approximate historical knowledge of the period would question that logic, so I'd say your opinion is as subjective as you think ours is. How about that?

You need to accept the fact that people will go to great lengths to express their dissatisfaction with the state of affairs especially considering how much they love the franchise. Their voice is just about the only weapon they have. I haven't read those reviews too much myself but I assume most of them point out that the game itself is good or at least decent and the negative review itself is just a backlash for their DLC policy. Does that really bother you so much as to merit an entire discussion about those reviews?

Deal with it OP. Anyone thinking of a small violin being played...

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by PeonKing View Post
    I'm confused, you're saying that like there is something wrong with making a game about a fictional universe. What's your point?
    No, my dear, you misunderstood what I was saying, or better, you involuntarily turned its meaning, in fact what I was saying was, more or less the opposite, in fact actually: I find something wrong in making historical rts with misplaced Fantasy contents (such as the Frank Cataphracts, the infamous Ostrogothic pikeman, the Byzantine medieval units set in the V century, Vikings in V century, Anglo Saxon warriors of the VII and VIII centuries placed in the age of Attila, Langobards with golden helmets, and so on..), so, as you can see reading with my post, I wrote that finally CA has found its way!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle
    CA has finally found its way!
    Finally they leave real history for Fantasy, in this way finally they follow what is their real inspiration and cultural stance.

Think that, I'm a Warhammer 40'000 tabletop player (Iron Hands Forever!) so I love Games Workshop, I love them for their wonderful wargames, for their rule systems, for their AWESOME miniatures, for the fluff about their games and for the wonderful novels built over this fluff, sadly Warhammer Fantasy has never interested me very much, for too many reasons to even try to explain them.

Anyway, for some reason, I have the feeling that great part of the players who love Rome2 and Attila, considering them good historical games, will love WarhammerTW, I'm almost sure about this!

So 'Sursum Corda', my dears, finally CA is doing the right thing!

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Right, because units placed in the "wrong" century are somehow equivalent to casting fireballs, dragons and demons... People want varied unit rosters, so CA bend history to some extent to try and meet their desire. Viking FOREFATHERS, gosh, can't you guys read?
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

I'm personally offended by such reviews, whose only purpose is to slander our benevolent masters at CA. That is gross and racist.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by flippers View Post
    I've never liked steam reviews because most of their "Reviews" consist 1-2 lines of pure gibberish
    Tend to agree. I've no problem playing the game, with the computer running it, or to just pass the time.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas Veneratio View Post
    Right, because units placed in the "wrong" century are somehow equivalent to casting fireballs, dragons and demons... People want varied unit rosters, so CA bend history to some extent to try and meet their desire. Viking FOREFATHERS, gosh, can't you guys read?
    I just wished that the Glassgollwes had two-handed sword.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by Neige View Post
    Subjectivity, huh? Let me ask you something, did you consider the Greek city state DLC for Rome 2 'minor aesthetics' too? Let's talk about subjectivity, you think the factions left out of Attila are non-essential and minor aesthetics? I think anyone who has even approximate historical knowledge of the period would question that logic, so I'd say your opinion is as subjective as you think ours is. How about that?

You need to accept the fact that people will go to great lengths to express their dissatisfaction with the state of affairs especially considering how much they love the franchise. Their voice is just about the only weapon they have. I haven't read those reviews too much myself but I assume most of them point out that the game itself is good or at least decent and the negative review itself is just a backlash for their DLC policy. Does that really bother you so much as to merit an entire discussion about those reviews?
    Its just the dishonesty and the echo chamber some people have formed for themselves here in these forums.
    its pretty much like the tumbler feminists.

I love how some people are making it about "me" like I have a stake in it. Lol...
    About the greek city states, I got the pre-order for like 35$, I had these greek city states and never bothered playing them because of how boring they were.
    Besides thats what these factions are generally. Its mostly the same roster, a slightly different starting location and a different logo. You can play the same exact faction just a few regions across from this "essential" faction.
    If CA locked nomads and their gameplay style as a DLC I would be pissed as well but they did not do that, the scope of the game did not change just because a faction almost identical to the one you already have was not made available (lets ignore mods that unlock almost any other faction and can add up to dozens upon dozens of new units or other customizations).

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

This is how public opinion works. People are irritated that not only DLC's exist, but how quickly we were bombarded with them within one month of release. Believe me, they are having meetings to discuss how to patch up some of the irritation as we speak. We'll likely see something being passed off as "free" content soon.

That being said, it's a real shame because this is a great game. It's much less predictable that previous releases and a lot of the new features are improvements. Not mention how great it looks. The new blood update is something I've been waiting to see for years.

Quote Originally Posted by M2TWRocks View Post
    This is how public opinion works. People are irritated that not only DLC's exist, but how quickly we were bombarded with them within one month of release. Believe me, they are having meetings to discuss how to patch up some of the irritation as we speak. We'll likely see something being passed off as "free" content soon.

That being said, it's a real shame because this is a great game. It's much less predictable that previous releases and a lot of the new features are improvements. Not mention how great it looks. The new blood update is something I've been waiting to see for years.
    they released numerous DLC in the first two weeks of the games release. It took them two weeks to do so but since nothing lol
    What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
    Julius Caesar

I mean seriously OP you care that much about the game to go through peoples reviews on steam and then to try and complain about it here? Like you want a big hug or a pat on the back.

Get real.

Whinging about the whingers. It's so passe and yesteryear.

Or this just a troll/flame bait thread? Either way it's very very sad. Stop/
    Last edited by Totalheadache; April 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM.

I love how some people are making it about "me" like I have a stake in it. Lol...
    About the greek city states, I got the pre-order for like 35$, I had these greek city states and never bothered playing them because of how boring they were.
    Besides thats what these factions are generally. Its mostly the same roster, a slightly different starting location and a different logo. You can play the same exact faction just a few regions across from this "essential" faction.
    Soooooo it IS you having a stake in it? Buyer's remorse? Cognitive Dissonance? Or is it just the simple plain ol rant? Maybe that's why yu love it when people do that, it's the attention?

If people feel like this subjet is worth talking about they will find the most appropriate place to share their viewpoint. Steam review pages allow that, therefore. Really, it's just the DLC debate turned on its head and this time it's the supporters that are all peeved at the idea, so they complain about it here. Really, it's just the same thing.
    I mean the REAL funny thing is, you're doing just what you're complaining about. You don't have any other place to vent to an audience so you come here, because there's no other place. And we preferred you either shut it, live with it, or find someplace else. Really, it's just the same thing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast