Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If You Give an Ironborn a Ship (Great Reaving Host)

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default If You Give an Ironborn a Ship (Great Reaving Host)

From one of Pyke's wicked cliff tops the Lord Reaper eyed the dozens of ships beached upon Pyke's shore, even as dozens more ran up aground belching forth dozens of hardened reavers. He felt a pleasantly cool summer breeze rolling in from the north, it smelt almost sweet.. like pine trees and the salt of the sea. There were all manner of banners being flown of half a hundred different colors, some bore cod fish or dead men or longships or mermaids - Houses like Goodbrother and Harlaw and Stonehouse and Codd. A large makeshift city had sprung up along Pyke's southerly shore sandy and amicable to ships. Most of the men in camp were drunk or dancing the finger dance, or both. Balon made request that his brothers, the Cleftjaw and the Harlaws meet him atop the cliff.. they needed to discuss the direction the reaving host would take in the coming weeks.

Wheatley's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: If You Give an Ironborn a Ship (Great Reaving Host)

Lord Sigfryd showed up shortly after docking the fleet together at Lordsport. Harlaw men were polishing their armor, sharpening weapons and drinking mead with other Ironborn. Few knew why they had gathered at Pyke and some were worried that Balon would crown himself yet again, drawing the fury of the Iron Throne upon them a second time. Lord Sigfryd had to brush off worried captains almost everyday and eventually they were understanding that Essos would be the destination. But at this scale? With such a massive fleet? It was empowering and worrying at the same time.

"My lord." Sigfryd said, bowing his head for Balon. He had left Qarl with the men, who was having his own little wrestling championship. "Harlaw is ready to sail, you just have to give us the command."

Dagmer climbed the steps of the cliff hastily. Few things spirited Dagmer like the prospect of reaving, and after the debacle at Pyke it was much needed. The sea and ships had him in a merry mood and it spread among the veterans and lads of Greyjoy alike. The only thing putting a damper on his mood was the matter of a ship and crew. He had not but one Reaver left after the rebellion. He arrived to Lord Balon and Sigfryd Harlaw and paid a short bow to Balon and a mere declination of his head at the Harlaw.

"Lord Greyjoy, a great day for us to remind the world the Iron Born haven't lost our bite. I cannot speak for everyone but I can't wait to shower the weak with fear and blood." Dagmer said with a smile. His smile was never casual to look at, it can't be with nearly four lips.

"And Lord Harlaw, it's good to see you this day. I'm glad you spoke first of the Lords, the other pissants followed suit pretty well." Dagmer meant the backhanded compliment with humor, but meant what he said. He had not much experience by the Harlaws side, but in his experience most so called 'Lords' weren't worth their weight in Iron.

Sigfryd Harlaw smiled courtly, as he had been taught when uncertain, to the man whose name was known to every Ironborn. "It's good to see you as well, Dagmer." Sigfryd said, speaking softly in the strong wind. "I had expected that you'd be drinking and playing with the other sailors but yet here you are." Sigfryd acted childish being called a pissant, especially by Cleftjaw.

Victorian plodded up the hillside to where the meeting was being held, even now with little risk of attack he wore his armor. It is always a good day to strike fear into the hearts of the weak. Balon spoke unto the Cleftjaw. That it is brother. Came the bellowing voice of Victarion. Euron was no where to be found once more, most like he was aboard the Silence with those mangy mongrels he calls a crew, like always he showed himself only when it suited his purposes. I have called you here today to discuss the goal of this reaving expedition. We wont just be attacking any Free City, that would be too simple. We'll be attacking Pentos. He looked into the eyes of each man present. A great port city it is, ruled by fat magisters who have grown lazy and complacent. Their recent defeat at the hands of the Bravossi have left them weak and vulnerable. They cannot maintain a navy nor an army nor can they hire sellswords and sellsails. Any men willing to sign away their own strength in such a manner deserve their fate more so than any other men alive. From what I understand the walls of the city are formidable.. but you shan't attack the walls rather you'll sail straight into port bringing the strength of the Drowned God down upon the fire worshiping heathens. He turn from them looking out over the sea. We shall organize two fleets of monstrous size, every lord that wishes it will have representation in this great reaving.. and it seems most lords want representation.. He took a deep breath of the sea's air. One of the fleets will be commanded by you Sigfryd. I suggest you leave the military aspects to your uncle, as he has more experience with such things. But such things will be left to your discretion. The other shall be led by my brothers Victarion and Euron.. If he ever shows himself. Overall command of the fleets will rest with the Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet, Victarion, treat his word as you would my own. And for you the Cleftjaw I grant a ship and a crew, I trust that you will serve my brother as faithfully as you have always served me. What of you brother? A Kraken must stay to guard Pyke and show the Greenlanders we still have strength about us, besides I have earned my glories and my honors. It is time to allow others to do the same.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; April 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM.

Dagmer let loose a hearty laugh, "I may be lowly compared to the likes of you, but I'm still above such non-sense. Besides, when my lord beckons I answer. Always." It was a decent retort, Dagmer thought. Maybe I won't mind this pissant so much.

Dagmer listened to Balon and squinted at the mention of Pentos. Ripe for picking yes, not much in the way of fighters though. It would be a good raid to regain some confidence and reputation however, so this pleased Dagmer. "Serve under Victarion? I'd rather serve the Drowned God in hell. At least he wont smell like onions and piss" he looked over toward Victarion with a smile and a nod. ""The Iron Captain will always have my axe at his command. Thank you for the ship Lord Balon, I will not disappoint you."
    He was impressed by the position Harlaw had garnered but not suprised. He was a powerful man in his own right, but now all the Iron Born will look to him for leadership, and for direction. If he did not take it, his charge would do as it pleased and the chance for respect would disintegrate to nothingness.
    Last edited by Zeus Almighty; April 20, 2015 at 06:37 PM.

As it ought to be. Though Sigfryd when he heard that he was given command, but having to share it with Qarl was not something he intended. Qarl could give him advice but nothing more. Sigfryd had studied the great works of by Maester Klause and Maester Viss, whilst Qarl had raided fishing villages, attacked trading ships and fought knights . It was two entirely different things to be the captain of a single ship and to lead a fleet. This was finally the time for Sigfryd to prove himself, to Qarl, to Dagmer and all the rest. "Thank you, lord Balon. Pentos will fall easily." It was also entirely fair that he was given the command of the second fleet, he had brought more ships and men than any other Ironman lord.

The moon had become full, a crescent and full again before they touched land again after leaving Pyke, when lord Harlaw had briefly landed on the Stepstones for water and food. There had been not much action on the voyage except for once in a while where an unfortunate merchant was caught by the longships and a whole lot were terribly bored. They had followed the Westerosi coast for very long, exchanging the green Reach for a barren Dorne and then the woods of the Stormlands. It had been tempting to raid the defenseless coast but all Ironborn were well aware of the consequences, leaving them to stare hungrily at the fishermen's daughters instead.

Sigfryd steered his ship the Scythe towards the Iron Victory, hoping to have a word with Victarion before they entered the Bay of Pentos.

OOC: Just tell me when a mod is needed.

The Iron Victory was plain to see leading the Ironborn collumn, the harder part would be getting into the ship to speak with the Iron Captain. Victarion stood in silence at the front of the ship, wind lightly blowing through his hair watching.. waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    The Iron Victory was plain to see leading the Ironborn collumn, the harder part would be getting into the ship to speak with the Iron Captain. Victarion stood in silence at the front of the ship, wind lightly blowing through his hair watching.. waiting.
    Sigfryd steered the Scythe closely towards the Greyjoy flagship, from there it was only the matter of putting a plank across the ships and hastily walk across. Sigfryd came alone. "Lord Captain." He bowed. "Before we begin the assault... There ought to be at least a few sellswords in the city. Even if Pentos is bound by a treaty to Braavos I don't expect them to fulfill it if the city is attacked. We could offer these mercenaries some gold to leave the city before they sign with the Magisters... Or take them to our side. Either way... The time has finally come but we need a plan of attack." He paused. "Do you suggest we attack immediately or prepare for a siege? They have no reinforcements and would be severely weakened if their trade was blockaded for just a while. The city probably relies on outside sources for food and water."

Victarion had not turned from the sea, instead facing forward whind whipping about his locks allowing the spray to wash over his body. It was said you could remove an Ironborn from the sea but you could never remove the sea from an Ironborn, and while Victarion had never been more than a half days ride from the sea himself he understood the sentiment.. this was where his kith and kin belonged, this was home. We will not siege their city, Sigfryd, I will not allow them to attribute our victory to hunger and thirst. He spat with disgust, turning his eyes upon the Lord Harlaw - the Iron Captain's eyes were cold and grey and cruel like the sea that birthed him. The Drowned God will know of the strength in our arms and our steel, men will sing songs of our valor - of that you can be certain. We shall strike their paltry fleet from the bay and assault the city from the sea. Our men will sweep across their city like a wave sweeps across the sandy beach, if the sellswords stand against us none shall survive.

Euron sat aboard the Silence, its sails and hull black as sin with a deck crimson as fresh blood. His crew of mongrels continually rowing and rowing and rowing, keeping pace just behind Victarion's Iron Victory. He looked about his captain's quarters, decorated in silks and tapestries crafted by a dozen different peoples, a desk of wood and gems from the far east, a bed of silks and feathers straight out of the Jade Sea. His gaze turned toward the outside, a window of clear Myrish glass from his quarters out onto the open sea. He wasn't like other Iornborn.. but the sea still called to him.. and the sight of blood on his blades still put a twisted smile upon his lips.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; April 22, 2015 at 01:36 AM.

Dagmer let the salt sea whip his face while he stood at the forefront of his new ship. He gazed on the other ships and squinted to shield his eyes from the reflection of light off the water. He spoke his orders, they were obeyed. One thing that could be said for Dagmer Cleftjaw is that, despite his meager beginnings, no man born on the Iron Islands was ignorant to his name and few would dare contradict him. That of course was with the exception of a few Lords. All that was behind however, right now all that existed was the open sea, his ship, and his crew. The crew was mostly men he had never sailed with, men that he knew little of and trusted none. All of them were veterans of the war, but had not fought beside Dagmer. The exception to this was Rodrik the Restless. He was the last man left of Dagmer's original crew, and named because he could not stand being ashore for long periods of time. These times generally ended with a bar brawl and a life taken. His new ship was named "Black Joke". He was not sure how he felt about it himself, but the first man with the balls to jape about the appointment nearly lost his tongue for it. It was a good time to sail and a better time to reave.

Victarion had not turned from the sea, instead facing forward whind whipping about his locks allowing the spray to wash over his body. It was said you could remove an Ironborn from the sea but you could never remove the sea from an Ironborn, and while Victarion had never been more than a half days ride from the sea himself he understood the sentiment.. this was where his kith and kin belonged, this was home. We will not siege their city, Sigfryd, I will not allow them to attribute our victory to hunger and thirst. He spat with disgust, turning his eyes upon the Lord Harlaw - the Iron Captain's eyes were cold and grey and cruel like the sea that birthed him. The Drowned God will know of the strength in our arms and our steel, men will sing songs of our valor - of that you can be certain. We shall strike their paltry fleet from the bay and assault the city from the sea. Our men will sweep across their city like a wave sweeps across the sandy beach, if the sellswords stand against us none shall survive.
    Sigfryd avoided Victarion's hard stare. "As you say then. I will notify my fleet to prepare for a seaborne assault." He did not share Victarion's opinion. Why would the Drowned God care how we win? He wants us faithful and everyone else dead. A victory is a victory nonetheless, even if you trick, cheat and wait your opponents out. Cleverness should be as celebrated as brute strength... Sigfryd thought. His face did not let an expression show however, the Lord Captain had spoken and lord Harlaw was not in an position nor possessed the courage to argue with him. "Lord Captain." He said and left the Iron Victory as quickly as he had come, avoiding to look its crew in the eyes after the mouthful he had gotten.

Victarion ordered the Iron Fleet to set up a blockade around the Bay of Pentos, they would cut the life blood of the city - no trade would flow in or out of their harbor with the Ironmen guarding the entrance to the Free City.

Euron made his way from the Silence to speak with Lord Sigfryd. He stood attentive with a sultry swagger in his steps. I would like to discuss the Sellswords within the city, we'll have enough trouble dealing with the City Watch let alone armed professionals. The Tattered Prince, if we send him coin before the Magisters can buy him.. He wanted the Lord to finish his idea, Euron had already secretly spirited funds into the city in order to purchase the Prince's loyalty. Euron wanted support from Sigfryd, he wanted the Lord Harlaw to see him as an ally.

I need to clarify two things before I can actually do the rolls:

-- Is this a raid or a siege? I currently rules for raiding, not sieging and conquering a city.
    -- What are your total numbers. I don't see the anywhere. This will affect things like whether the Tattered Prince accepts your offer, etc.

Not a raid, we're gonna attack/siege the city.

Ironborn Expedition to Pentos Overall Command: Victarion Greyjoy Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet

First Fleet
    Commanding Captains: Lord Captain Victarion Greyjoy, Euron Greyjoy (the Cleftjaw)

Ships:
    104 Middle-Weight Longships (Dromonds)
    91 Heavy Longships (Heavy Galleys)
    43 Ironborn Warships
    12 Grand Warships (The Silence, The Iron Victory)
    250 Ships

Men:
    825 Heavy Infantry
    2,063 Light Infantry
    1,094 Polearm Infantry
    1,237 Archer
    865 Light Cavalry
    278 Heavy Cavalry
    6,362 Men

Second Fleet
    Commanding Captains: Qarl Harlaw, Lord Sigfryd Harlaw
    Ships:
    102 Levy Ships
    42 Dromonds
    52 Heavy Galleys
    22 Ironborn Warships
    7 Grand Warships
    229 Ships

Men:
    1,242 Heavy Infantry
    547 Heavy Cavalry
    1,081 Archers
    2,025 Light Infantry
    530 Light Cavalry
    466 Polearms
    5,891 Men
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; April 22, 2015 at 07:39 PM.

Victarion ordered the Iron Fleet to set up a blockade around the Bay of Pentos, they would cut the life blood of the city - no trade would flow in or out of their harbor with the Ironmen guarding the entrance to the Free City.

Euron made his way from the Silence to speak with Lord Sigfryd. He stood attentive with a sultry swagger in his steps. I would like to discuss the Sellswords within the city, we'll have enough trouble dealing with the City Watch let alone armed professionals. The Tattered Prince, if we send him coin before the Magisters can buy him.. He wanted the Lord to finish his idea, Euron had already secretly spirited funds into the city in order to purchase the Prince's loyalty. Euron wanted support from Sigfryd, he wanted the Lord Harlaw to see him as an ally.
    Sigfryd was surprised to see the Silence but glad when he heard Euron. He seemed more sensible than Victarion, but Victarion was but a warrior, what'd he expect from him. "Unless he believes Pentos can truly win he won't sign with them, so we'll just have to convince him that." Sigfryd spoke whilst leaning on the mast of the Scythe. "I don't want the sellswords on our side either. Too unreliable. Pay them to leave and nothing else is what I suggest. Outside the walls they can't do much harm."

Having a single man inside Pentos' walls would be worth a dozen on the outside of them. He stalked a few steps down the deck. If we're to pay for swords I'd have the swords be of use to us.

Having a single man inside Pentos' walls would be worth a dozen on the outside of them. He stalked a few steps down the deck. If we're to pay for swords I'd have the swords be of use to us.
    "Never trust a sellsword. Even if Lannister offered him all the gold in Casterly Rock he wouldn't take it if he thought it meant defeat. We should at least keep them seperate from our main force, creating diversions and such... Then even if they somehow turned we'd be prepared for it."

OOC: Battle soon?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast