Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oriental Empires - a (kind of) TW Game

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Oriental Empires - a (kind of) TW Game

A longer version of a recent trailer has been released on explorminate. It shows a bit of all the features the game wants to offer. You can see it in the link below.
    http://explorminate.net/2016/01/13/o...usive-trailer/

Cool stuff. So terrain really plays a role, contrary to some other strategy game franchise I won't mention here where where the campaign map terrain rarely matches the one you play battles on.

Warfare part looks decent to me. Now the question is how deep the CIV/managment side of things is. Hopefully this game will be popular enough to get a little modding community going, to give scenarios/factions flavour... One can dream-
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; January 14, 2016 at 09:48 AM.

You have no control over tactical battles. All you can do is watch them.
    Seemless zoom in this video sort of makes up for lack of individual unit control though.
    Last edited by Destraex; January 16, 2016 at 07:23 PM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    You have no control over tactical battles. All you can do is watch them.
    Seemless zoom in this video sort of makes up for lack of individual unit control though.
    Which is exactly why it's fine to me. You set up a general strategy by positioning them pre-battle, and then sit back and watch the fight. The video clearly shows that you can ambush and use terrain by "campaign" movement, and characters also play a role. I'm a bit tired of the TW formula that requires you to micromanage/babysit everything, it's not realistic and won't let me enjoy the army/battle.

TW neglected the aspect of "realistic" tactical battle simulation more and more anyway, and instead turned the game into a kind of MOBA game, where it's more about fast reaction/micromanagment/activate your special abilities clickfest.

Yeah, it won't have a deep battle simulation, with fatigue and careful troop managment, keeping reserves, complex formation etc, heck, I don't even know if it there's a morale system. But TW fulfilled that role less and less anyway.

But I think we can agree that there's more battle flavour than in CIV for example, and this is ok for me if the rest of the game is good.

Just saying, I know it won't be a classical TW battle simulation, but I find the general concept very interesting, as the battles seemed to be more organicially intertwined with the game.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low, since it's an EA title by a small studio, but the general outline looks really good to me, and there aren't many strategy games I have faith in, apart from the Paradox Grand Stategy games.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; January 17, 2016 at 03:37 AM.

Maybe. I remember that old total war style game did it sort of like this. You deployed and let them rip.

Wait... Centurion defenders of rome was more than that. Anyways it could be good if the tactics are really meaningful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRkc0sIJh94

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Indefinitely Banned

At least the terrain plays a part. People underestimate the terrain at times in these types of games.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My kind of game, but total war will make a game in China for sure.

I prefer micromanagment, and I cannot wait to see what the soundtrack looks like!

Its so similar to that of Shogun 2, but its still in development.

Indefinitely Banned

I read more into it and I was really impressed by it. Now I am definitely sold on it.

Can't believe I did not hear of this before. It sounds exactly like what I wanted, a Total War like game set in Ancient China.

While it looks great I do kinda worry about the combat and how it looks. If we have no control over it I hope they make it look as great as possible.

Will see how it goes and hope it does not disappoint.

Is this game made by Chinese???

However, I think the timeline is too long ( 1500BC - 1500 AD). Every periods in Chinese history is different each others very much. They can't include all of them in a game, never.

Actually it's more like civilization. And no itīs not made by chinese. Bob Smith is the lead designer for Oriental Empires, he was the project director for TW: Medieval II !!!

P.S.

Go and check the official forum ... you will not regret it!

EA is supposed to start this month. Let's see...

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by yevon View Post
    However, I think the timeline is too long ( 1500BC - 1500 AD). Every periods in Chinese history is different each others very much. They can't include all of them in a game, never.
    Most games can't even properly portray one or two historical periods, so I fear that the game will be a bit lightweight in that regard. However, if modding is possible, I can overlook that.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Hi guys,

Total War fan, TWC forum lurker and Producer for Iceberg Interactive on Oriental Empires here.

If you have any questions, please shout and I see if I can address them

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by we4kf00l View Post
    Hi guys,

Total War fan, TWC forum lurker and Producer for Iceberg Interactive on Oriental Empires here.

If you have any questions, please shout and I see if I can address them

Cheers,
    Cool stuff, my first questions would be:

-there's quite a bit of factions, my question would be how unique can we expect them to be?

Well, all factions will follow the same basic rules. It was discussed making them more diverse, but this would come at the cost of historical accuracy. So you will find that factions share the same basic units and buildings etc. and modifiers will makes sure that clan has their own specializations. So factions that made a lot of use of archers historically for example, will have bonus stats for using bow units and military tech.

In addition, there is also the difference (at least early on), between nomad factions and farming factions. The different mechanics for generating food will dictate how these factions play.

Finally of course this is a game that has very long campaigns and allows you to specialize yourself as you play, by choosing the type of techs and buildings you invest in.

Could I build a wall in this game and let the Mongolians pay for it?

That functuionality is not planned at the moment

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

Will players/factions play their turns simultaneously or take their turns in sequence?
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

The game uses a WEGO system, so player and AI move at the same time.

In addition, we are now recruiting beta testers, so if you are interested, be sure to sign up!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/357310...1784110074/#p1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast