Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445

Thread: ~~~OLD~~~ [FAQ] General questions

Maestro1's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [FAQ] General questions

I updated the FAQ once more so to add certain fa tion-related Q&A's
    Rise of Mordor: a total overhaul mod for Total War: Atilla
    Writer, rosterer, lore-master and battle balancer for Rise of Mordor

'So do I, and so do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I've updated Question 7 and 8. Basically just says there's 0 chance we'll move to Warhammer and the chance we'll move to Mount and Blade Bannerlord or the next Total War game is very small.

As a general question, do you guys reach out to members of other modding teams in terms of recruitment? Mods like "The Seven Kingdoms", "Ancient Empires", or "Age of Vikings"?

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

I'd say yes, some members of other teams work with us but I can't call them RoM team members. They are rather partners because their priorities are their own mods.

idk if this questions have been asked but there's too much pages to go through so i'll ask anyway
    1. what factions do you priority over other? And do you have specific order in which you create factions, or are you just like "let's go with this stuff idk"
    2. when will you update closed alpha? I'm not asking specific date, I want to know if you update it when you finish another 2 factions, or 3 factions, or even later.

Quote Originally Posted by Member of the Maiar View Post
    As a general question, do you guys reach out to members of other modding teams in terms of recruitment? Mods like "The Seven Kingdoms", "Ancient Empires", or "Age of Vikings"?
    I didn't see this question before. We're all friends with Seven Kingdoms, Ancient Empires and Medieval Kingdoms (I'm not in contact with Age of Vikings, other members may be). Since I'm the database guy I mostly just annoy them until they tell me fancy ways of doing stuff and in return I give them useless stuff I've found out =P
    I imagine Jox and the other modellers also trade secrets such as the tools/tutorials created by Vikus, Jox and warman.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed View Post
    idk if this questions have been asked but there's too much pages to go through so i'll ask anyway
    1. what factions do you priority over other? And do you have specific order in which you create factions, or are you just like "let's go with this stuff idk"
    2. when will you update closed alpha? I'm not asking specific date, I want to know if you update it when you finish another 2 factions, or 3 factions, or even later.
    Yes we have a priority. At the moment it is Mordor, Rohan and Isengard. Gondor and Dale have already been completed.
    As you can see with the inclusion of Dale the order is pretty much just based on whether any team members really want to do a specific faction.
    The closed alpha may be getting a minor update from Jox I believe, just some textures and a few changed models for Gondor. I don't think any new factions will be released until the remaining 3 are finished. After that the plans are for Imladris, Lothlorien, Lindon, Erebor, Easterlings, Haradhrim and Arnor in no particular order.
    The final factions will be the Goblins of the Misty Mountains, Orcs of Gundabad, Dol Guldur, Dunland, the Woodland Realm, Ered Luin and the Anduin Vale. Again, in no particular order.
    AFTER THAT then factions may be split up, eg Erebor into Erebor and the Iron Hills but we haven't decided.

There's still other stuff to do, such as custom battle maps (and the models required for them), animations, the campaign and more.

The work progresses very slowly unfortunately, this will likely take years and years. This is due to the dedication the modellers have to creating professional grade models, which unfortunately takes a heap of time (approx 5 hours per individual model, each unit has about 5 to 10 models). In addition university is eating up a lot of our time, with everyone doing pretty intensive degrees such as medicine, game design, IT, and law.

Work would go faster if the models were of a lower quality, but that wouldn't be as fulfilling or epic so it's extremely unlikely.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 14, 2017 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    I didn't see this question before. We're all friends with Seven Kingdoms, Ancient Empires and Medieval Kingdoms (I'm not in contact with Age of Vikings, other members may be). Since I'm the database guy I mostly just annoy them until they tell me fancy ways of doing stuff and in return I give them useless stuff I've found out =P
    I imagine Jox and the other modellers also trade secrets such as the tools/tutorials created by Vikus, Jox and warman.

Yes we have a priority. At the moment it is Mordor, Rohan and Isengard. Gondor and Dale have already been completed.
    As you can see with the inclusion of Dale the order is pretty much just based on whether any team members really want to do a specific faction.
    The closed alpha may be getting a minor update from Jox I believe, just some textures and a few changed models for Gondor. I don't think any new factions will be released until the remaining 3 are finished. After that the plans are for Imladris, Lothlorien, Lindon, Erebor, Easterlings, Haradhrim and Arnor in no particular order.
    The final factions will be the Goblins of the Misty Mountains, Orcs of Gundabad, Dol Guldur, Dunland, the Woodland Realm, Ered Luin and the Anduin Vale. Again, in no particular order.
    AFTER THAT then factions may be split up, eg Erebor into Erebor and the Iron Hills but we haven't decided.

There's still other stuff to do, such as custom battle maps (and the models required for them), animations, the campaign and more.

The work progresses very slowly unfortunately, this will likely take years and years. This is due to the dedication the modellers have to creating professional grade models, which unfortunately takes a heap of time (approx 5 hours per individual model, each unit has about 5 to 10 models). In addition university is eating up a lot of our time, with everyone doing pretty intensive degrees such as medicine, game design, IT, and law.

Work would go faster if the models were of a lower quality, but that wouldn't be as fulfilling or epic so it's extremely unlikely.
    Would you consider including the Icemen of Forochel and the Woses of Druadan down the line?

Depends how far down the line

Hey! I have been fighting online some 3 vs 3 battles. Awesome.

BUT! The game crashes when I´m going to see the replay...xD Any tips?

Yeah, don't change your units position at deployment time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    Hey! I have been fighting online some 3 vs 3 battles. Awesome.

BUT! The game crashes when I´m going to see the replay...xD Any tips?
    Also some people say replays never work on user-created battle maps like Helms Deep even if you do what Mr.Jox said, whilst other people say replays do work on those maps.

Few things... Is there anything that I can do to help with any part of the mod? I have no experience with graphical designs, coding, or other upper-level computer skills. I am tech savy and know my way around computers, but that is about it. I am 22 and studying finance, so obviously not a huge computer wiz. I have been patiently waiting for this mod since the second I heard about it in 2014. Instead of sitting around I thought I would ask if there is anything someone like me could do. Like would it be possible to edit battle maps and/or siege maps? Edit the campaign map? Some other rather simple or tedious work? I am a fast-learning perfectionist and would only do what I know is possible with my skill set... or lack there of. If the answer is no, that is totally fine, the mod is already far more beautiful than I imagined, I just really would love to see everyone (myself included) be able to play a completed RoM campaign before another 5+ years pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallubaloo View Post
    Few things... Is there anything that I can do to help with any part of the mod? I have no experience with graphical designs, coding, or other upper-level computer skills. I am tech savy and know my way around computers, but that is about it. I am 22 and studying finance, so obviously not a huge computer wiz. I have been patiently waiting for this mod since the second I heard about it in 2014. Instead of sitting around I thought I would ask if there is anything someone like me could do. Like would it be possible to edit battle maps and/or siege maps? Edit the campaign map? Some other rather simple or tedious work? I am a fast-learning perfectionist and would only do what I know is possible with my skill set... or lack there of. If the answer is no, that is totally fine, the mod is already far more beautiful than I imagined, I just really would love to see everyone (myself included) be able to play a completed RoM campaign before another 5+ years pass.
    Here are all of the jobs on offer.

- Database Editing: This is what I do, and its the easiest of the jobs. Its basically stat balancing, making special abilities, switching around animations and stuff like that. Just playing with numbers pretty much.
    However there's honestly not much to do because I can't do anything until more models are made. There's no point balancing every unit right now, because they'll change a lot during development and it'll be a waste of time.
    If you're interested though, this 21 Part Youtube series I made will teach you pretty much everything I know. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...H0vp-h__FirQZw

- Lore Experts: This would require you to know heaps about Tolkien's Middle Earth universe. You'd be planning units, writing up unit descriptions and making sure everything is lore friendly.

- UI/Unit Card Creator: You could help create the 2D UI and/or Unit Cards.

- 3D Modelling: Help create the units. This is the bit we obviously we need the most help with in terms of sheer manpower, but we're also perfectionists and need people who are really skilled at doing it.

- Battle Map Making: You could help us create custom battle maps using CA's editor thingy.

- Animations: If you know how to animate units, you could work on fixing the troll animations or making mumakil, warg, orc, dwarves, elves ect ect animations.

- Scripting: There's not really any scripting to do at the moment. Perhaps just historical battles, but I don't reckon there's enough units/factions finished.

Wanted to start by saying thank you for the work so far, loving the battles so far!

I was just wondering when the next update was likely, and what was coming next? Is the plan to release each faction/unit at a time, or waiting until a certain amount is ready before releasing? Desperate to play some extra factions but am completely aware that the work involved is massive!

If you are releasing one faction at a time, who's likely to be the next up, and when's the ETA (roughly)?

Thank you again

Hey, thanks for the support.
    We're basically making updates as soon as we have something new to bring into the public build. So no, you won't have to wait until the whole faction is completed.
    Talking about the next update, it should be soon. What'd in it? It will be quite small update with quite big teaser to what's in our scope.
    Since Ancient Empires found a way to mod any audio stuff, that's exactly what we're gonna tease in our next update. Why tease? Because we will put little number of new audios just to tell the audience we now can do it.

P.S. Don't let the silence on TWC make you think RoM is dead. We have a small audience on TWC and TWC itself got way less acitivity and most of it's activity is coz of Medieval 2 mods (obviously because Med2 has no steam workshop, so this is the only centralised way to obtain mods). Our primary platforms are steam and discord.

Laetus

And you have to subscribe to Mr. Jox' youtube channel so that you are always up-to-date! The new Gollum unit sounds great.

Hehe
    I must probably do it on RoM's channel

Tell me how to start your MOD. I downloaded it to master Steam and do not know how to proceed