View Poll Results: Which class do you prefer?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roman History

0 0%
  • Creative Writing

2 100.00%
  • Abstain

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class Ideas

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Class Ideas

What classes are you all interested in? This University is a wonderful thing and it seems to me that it is not getting used too much, would anyone be interested in me teaching a class of any of the following topics?

Everything Westeros

Roman History

Military Leaders of the past

Mythology

Creative Writing

And if none of these interest you please recommend something and hopefully somebody will share their knowledge with us!

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Class Ideas

In regards to Roman history, which time period?
    Same with Military leaders
    Mythology - would that be a general overview or specific culture(s) and/or time period(s)?

Definitely would not partake in learning anymore on Westeros sorry. If the Roman History looked beyond Augustus then I would be down for that. Military leaders would be good, tho if I could suggest something personally: if looking at very famous leaders then perhaps look at them from either a different light or on what not many ppl know. Mythology would be down for it. Creative Writing: you had me at Cre [emoji14]

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Roman History would be from Romulus & Remus all the way to the end of the Byzantine Empire,

Military Leaders will be all the way up to World War II from as far back as Sun Tzu,

Westeros was one I didn't think would get much love ,

Mythology would be as many cultures as I can sufficiently cover, with a focus on Norse, Greek, Irish and Roman (If Roman History class doesn't take off, if it does then Roman Mythology would be included in that class)

Creative Writing is just what it sounds like

Thank you very much for the input, should help clear things up for others as well!
    Last edited by FrostySOTF; April 17, 2015 at 07:58 AM.

You are tickling my fancy on many levels. If this does start up I will be there.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Wonderful! Glad to have you, now we just need a little more support and I'll try to get a poll rolling, already been talking to Hader, really excited for this

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Didn't even notice creative writing up there initially. Would definitely be interested if that course was going to happen. Although I could get dragged into a few others aswell.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thanks for the input

I'm thinking of seeing if I can get a poll going on which classes people like the most and then going through with the top 2

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

On a side note Frosty, I don't think I've seen you over in A Game of Thrones RPG on these forums. Are you interested or available to join? I think you could have some fun playing if you would be able to teach a course on Westeros.

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by FrostySOTF View Post
    Everything Westeros
    Never.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostySOTF
    Roman History
    Yyup.
    Oh yes.
    Mythology
    Whose? If it's not Westeros I'm in.
    Creative Writing
    Might be fun.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dč a tha Montrose Mór ag rŕdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Treva, the Renewer View Post
    Whose? If it's not Westeros I'm in..
    See previous:

Quote Originally Posted by FrostySOTF View Post

Mythology would be as many cultures as I can sufficiently cover, with a focus on Norse, Greek, Irish and Roman (If Roman History class doesn't take off, if it does then Roman Mythology would be included in that class)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I will be creating a poll tomorrow between;

Mythology

Creative Writing

Roman History

-Top 2 classes (if they have enough students) I shall teach, looking forward to this and I hope you guys are too!

These look interesting, but you might want to make them a bit more specific. Roman history from Romulus and Remus all the way through the end of the Byzantine Empire seems like way to much to fit into one online course if you want to cover anything in any detail. Same for military leaders and mythology, it might be better just to focus one one or two in more detail rather than a bit of everything.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Seeing as options for a religious class just opened up and a bit part of my mythology class was Norse I've decided to take that one off the table and Military leaders will be offered some time in the future so stay tuned!

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I would think most people here would like a Roman History and/or Military leaders sort of class. I personally could even teach some aspect of a Roman history one even (though I am sure there are those more qualified).

Edit: I could actually even teach a new making videos with movie maker type of class too.
    Last edited by Hader; April 18, 2015 at 01:03 PM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

just one question

are there any boundaries to what one can propose as a class? provided that one is within the TOS and has some interested students, can he propose what he prefers or does it have to be linked to modding/hystory or TWC stuff only? (I saw a German class for instance)

thanks in advance

edit: nevermind, I found my answer. If anyone could give me some more info I'd be grateful anyway
    Last edited by Flinn; April 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Since the uni isn't exactly bustling with classes on a regular basis, I'm pretty lenient on what can be offered as a potential class. The main requirements I will have for any class regardless of content is that I can verify it has a willing and qualified professor(s) and enough willing students to justify all the effort that would be put into that class.

If those are met then usually that's all that's needed or a big deal. If a class idea is pretty outrageous or crazy from the get go, I expect it might not get the students to take it in the first place, so I prefer to let people decide what the want to learn first before I impose any sanction on a class type or anything like that.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

thanks for the clarification Hader, I imagined it was so.

I might be trying something in the future as long as I will have some more free time; if so I will probably PM you with some questions/ideas when the time will be ripe

thanks
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I've often thought of applying and teach a course on the fall of the western half of the Roman empire, or at least a course on Aetius/Attila, but frankly to do I would have to re-distribute a published book via PDF which may or may not be erm... against the TOS.

Guy Halsall's Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West would be perfect for it, which I do have a legal PDF copy of. But redistributing said copy, I don't know if that's allowed.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    ... I could actually even teach a new making videos with movie maker type of class too.
    If you do that, I'm in. I'm very interested and I missed the previous class.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; May 07, 2015 at 01:53 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well there's 6 that have said they would take Creative Writing, I'm thinking of waiting for a few more interested Samaritans, if the class does get pushed through expect it to start some time in June, looking forward to it and I hope some of you guys are too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast