Thread: First full body transplant to happen...

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default First full body transplant to happen...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...=facebook-post

Quote Originally Posted by article
    A Werdnig-Hoffmann disease sufferer with rapidly declining health, Spiridonov is willing to take a punt on this very experimental surgery and you can't really blame him, but while he is prepared for the possibility that the body will reject his head and he will die, his fate could be considerably worse than death.

"I would not wish this on anyone," said Dr Hunt Batjer, president elect of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons.

"I would not allow anyone to do it to me as there are a lot of things worse than death."

The problem is, fusing a head with a separate body (including spinal cord, jugular vein etc) could result in a hitherto never experienced level and quality of insanity.

Arthur Caplan, director of medical ethics at New York University’s Langone Medical Centre, who described Dr Canavero as "nuts", believes that the bodies of head transplant patients "would end up being overwhelmed with different pathways and chemistry than they are used to and they’d go crazy."
    I agree with Batjer, i would not trust that Canavero doctor...

Also not seeing how it can be even legal to do something like this. Yes, IF it worked it could have been an improvement over Valery's position, and Valery obviously wants to have the hope it may work. But it is pretty clear there is no way the doctor knows what will happen.
    It is like giving an elementary schooler Riemann's hypothesis and expect the child to prove it without even knowing what imaginary numbers are, or most other parameters there. It is inherently impossible, not just hugely unlikely.

It is pretty much certain it will either not work at all (ie the patient dies immediately) or it will have hellish side effects, given that even minor transplants have notable risk of there being rejection of the transplanted part by your body.
    It is pretty much unethical to suggest the foreign body will just fit in with the brain connections this person has, and to think those will just alter fast enough to (merely) sustain him alive is probably utterly false as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if he cannot even move the new body at all. At least willingly.

What do you think of this experiment? Will it work? And is it ethical?
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: First full body transplant to happen...

My first reaction when reading the thread title was....pretty cool, but afterwards yeah this does seem a rather daunting and terrifying prospect if it goes ill.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Its the future though. While likely this wont have much chance of success. In 20 years it will probably be a viable alternative.

The future will be dominated by 90 year old heads on bodybuilder bodies. I called it.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Its the future though.
    It's already happening, look:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Maybe if it doesn't work, Dr Cadaver Caniving Canavero will just sow the head back to the original body?

Anyway, Dr. Canavero looks and sounds legit:

Quote Originally Posted by same article
    Arthur Caplan, director of medical ethics at New York University’s Langone Medical Centre, who described Dr Canavero as "nuts", believes that the bodies of head transplant patients "would end up being overwhelmed with different pathways and chemistry than they are used to and they’d go crazy."
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Yyyyyeeeaahhhhh this is disturbing, though mix gender in and you get this. Possibilities any civilized society should aspire to.
    Last edited by Inkie; April 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I thought this was a joke (is it?) it sounds ing insane and most likely the result will be that the victim er I mean patient will die from multiple complications that we can't even foresee or understand. The guy will die before the doctors can even react even if the negative effects are not visible immediately.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

The future will be genetic cloning of body parts, even a full set.

Then you can transplant your head or your brain into that.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    The future will be genetic cloning of body parts, even a full set.

Then you can transplant your head or your brain into that.
    I really doubt that, cause (i suppose) that would prerequisite us actually being able to reproduce some organs or a whole sustainably (ie knowingly with them being functional in a transplant) without knowing their outermost elements (those to which they ultimately are founded upon, and there might even not be some final particle there in the first place/divisions might keep going on indefinitely).

If you consider that even in non-matter tied fields, such as math, we are stuck on this issue (infinity, limits, approximation but not set account of various math parameters or concepts) it is just impossible to do the analogous for matter-tied stuff.
    To use a variation of a simple and known analogy: it would be like trying to fly before you can even move your body at all.

Much respect to the volunteer.

Whatever the result, even in death, this guy would contribute to the advancement of science. Guys like that give me hope for the future, men who are not afraid to tread in new and potentially dangerous waters
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

^I also respect the patient/volunteer, and i do wish he can get what he wants. But i think that not only is it impossible for his new body to function, it is most likely he will die either while waiting as a head to be transplanted, or instants after the operation finishes.
    Either way it is not probable he will live long enough to try to communicate how he feels in the new body (or be able to speak at all), and i hope he won't be in more extreme agony during that time

Experiments can help, but if a doctor says he wants to decapitate you and transplant you into a new body, chances are that is not realistic. Iirc there was a similar experiment with an ape, decades ago, but the ape also died later on, and looked in agony. Moreover that was an ape, not a human we have to protect.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

If this succeeds all we need is cloning and we can all be Brad Pitt
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Have we done anything like this on pigs or monkeys yet??

I think the Russians did it on dogs nearly a century ago.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

succeeded?

All the gentlemen have fled to Paris.

Not enough to warrant further experimentation.

I think they stuck to brainwashing dogs after that.

You're thinking about these?

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Apparently it's part of viral marketing for Metal Gear Solid I'm hearing. Disappointing if true.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR