Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MTW2 unpack tool 1.01 Update

Jurand's Avatar Civis

Default Re: MTW2 unpack tool 1.01 Update

Well, did you find them or did you just notice that they aren't there, because I'm still looking for them...

Veni, vidi, Deus vicit

Why don't you people just wait for the OFFICIAL unpakker to come out rather than being upset over an unofficial one? lol If you all are really this impatient about just an unpakker and some files...I'm going to hate to see how you all respond if you figure out just how much more work there actually is to do differentiating from the RTW game. I never saw a single decent or good mod come out that quickly...they all take months to a year...so I know any of you die-hard fans must know this. It takes time to draw up plans, an outline, and to actually get workers together on major mods and projects (which will be the only ones worth it)...so I say we need to get the groups going and those things hammered out within the next 2-3 weeks. I've seen the mod forums - not as much background work, etc. as can be done. I'll offer my limited help where possible - but for you who plan on doing small changes...I think it will probably be a waste of your time and/or money.

later,
    Gersh

Quote Originally Posted by GershomPatmos View Post
    Why don't you people just wait for the OFFICIAL unpakker to come out rather than being upset over an unofficial one? lol If you all are really this impatient about just an unpakker and some files...I'm going to hate to see how you all respond if you figure out just how much more work there actually is to do differentiating from the RTW game. I never saw a single decent or good mod come out that quickly...they all take months to a year...so I know any of you die-hard fans must know this. It takes time to draw up plans, an outline, and to actually get workers together on major mods and projects (which will be the only ones worth it)...so I say we need to get the groups going and those things hammered out within the next 2-3 weeks. I've seen the mod forums - not as much background work, etc. as can be done. I'll offer my limited help where possible - but for you who plan on doing small changes...I think it will probably be a waste of your time and/or money.

later,
    Gersh

I can't speak for anyone else, but i personally am not impatient because i can't wait for all the huge total conversions to come out, i just want the modding tools so i can mod the game back to the way it was in the first demo BEFORE CA neutered it because of all the whiney little *****es who complained about every little thing. Specifically i want to change the blood back to the way it was in the first demo, remove the rediculously large unit spaces that appear as soon as a unit enters combat that are big enough to build a small city in, and MASSIVELY increase the unit sizes that CA for some reason felt the need to decrease compared to RTW. It doesn't take several weeks to mod those types of things. It only takes minutes. And those things are what's preventing me from enjoying the game (and a few others i won't go into here), so until i get my hands on some tools that work, i can't enjoy the game. THAT'S why i'm impatient, not because i want someone to reskin every unit and make a total conversion in 2 minutes. I'm guessing little things like this that annoy people are why everyone else is also so impatient. They want to mod out all the crap and actually make the game enjoyable. But that's just my educated guess. I could be wrong. Maybe everyone thinks the game is perfect the way it is now. But i sure don't, which is why i'm at the dge of my seat waiting for those damn modding tools to come out already.

Erm I think there is no second 'encryption' or anything. The unpacker does get the file info and map structure out, but apparently does not unpack the contents correctly - so it's just an incomplete tooly as yet. Same as with XP can see the contents of a later WinZip file okidoki, but then breaks its teeth on the content.

Don't think CA treats this as some Pentagon level file.

Why don't you people just wait for the OFFICIAL unpakker to come out rather than being upset over an unofficial one?
    Why OFFICIAL unpacker as a feature is not in base game ?
    CA say "M2TW be Easer to mod" ...and they forget to say "only after we give unpacker".
    There is posibility that we must wait not 2-3 weeks but month or two.
    Also who says unpacker be without bugs and limited options ?Those who give bugie product and limited posibilitys? If the mods come out after month or years now they come out after month or years + time what we must wait.
    Do nothing in this situation is not glorious deed at all ,thats why good moders work on theyr mods now,and code understanding programmers try to make unpacker themselves. Its somenting like "why make mod yourself if you can wait for official addon."

Quote Originally Posted by MADTAO View Post
    Why OFFICIAL unpacker as a feature is not in base game ?
    CA say "M2TW be Easer to mod" ...and they forget to say "only after we give unpacker".
    There is posibility that we must wait not 2-3 weeks but month or two.
    Also who says unpacker be without bugs and limited options ?Those who give bugie product and limited posibilitys? If the mods come out after month or years now they come out after month or years + time what we must wait.
    Do nothing in this situation is not glorious deed at all ,thats why good moders work on theyr mods now,and code understanding programmers try to make unpacker themselves. Its somenting like "why make mod yourself if you can wait for official addon."
    AFAIK the decision to pack was a late one, also judging from the specs originally published. Don't think there's any evil intentions here, more very unfortunate timing - they had not counted on having to produce that tool for the public originally I think, and also have to alter the .exe I heard, to allow it to work with unpacked files during testing.

So patience is golden, I think, not wanting to discourage anyone from having a go at it. Don't forget they promised this now, they can hardly go back on that without losing humongous face.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

The decision to pack the files was a last minute decision, and CA have said the unpacker does not work with the release day code, but with the code in the first patch.

Oh, and i'd hardly expect a tool CA themselves use to be buggy, otherwise they wouldn't use it.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

So am I correct in assuming that this unpacker has been abandoned due to the close release of the official unpacker?

Speaking just for myself, I'm mostly interested in modding simple things like settlement, character, and nation names. Those things take mere seconds, once you have access to the text files.

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

patch this week? or next?
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Quote Originally Posted by GershomPatmos View Post
    Why don't
    I think it will probably be a waste of your time and/or money.
    a pc programmer can't wait a tools ....
    Last edited by mikehood; November 22, 2006 at 02:10 AM.

Methoz's Avatar Senator

patch patch patch...
    next week is 3rd week..its terrible
    TotalWarForum.cz

I have found that some files in the packs can be extracted fine. Example, the resource tga files that appear in the user interface some of which are new for M2TW are in data pack 2: data\ui\resources

They can be viewed, are there any more...

nice tool, great job

Methoz's Avatar Senator

hm i extract some *.tga - open, but - eror -this hile niot in format tga

wtf!?
    TotalWarForum.cz

Big tnx.
    When we come 2 test full version?

Has this been officially abandoned?

You are the man, thank you for this god send

Anyone have a tool to read the encrypted text files?

I just freakin' want to SEE the trait and ancillary files, to understand the game dynamics and why things happen the way they do.

We are all in patch purgatory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast