Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs that are now creepy because of the movies associated with them

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Songs that are now creepy because of the movies associated with them

This is a simple concept: which songs are now ruined and/or inescapably reinterpreted because of later creepy movies associated with them? This is an interesting concept I've had ever since watching Reservoir Dogs, with the ear-cutting torture scene in which "Stuck in the Middle with You" by Stealer's Wheel plays in the background. That song is now forever tainted thanks to Tarantino.

WARNING: Massive censor bypass, gruesome scene
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrb-aMtdMXk

Then of course there's songs like "Blue Velvet," like this rendition by Bobby Vinton, which will obviously conjure in the mind scenes from David Lynch's disturbing thriller of the same name from 1986. Every time I hear this song I usually can't shake the idea of Dennis Hopper dropping the F-bomb in every sentence, usually in an abusive manner.

So what other songs are unfortunately ruined for us all because films like these that feature them? Let's make a list!

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Songs that are now creepy because of the movies associated with them

Well theres only one song that comes to mind straight away.

Breaking into a house, beating up the owners and proceeding to rape the woman while her husband is forced to watch, while that innocent song "singing in the rain" Which was actually improvised to add more energy to the scene.

So yeah, if that does not ruin a song, I don't know what will.

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Songs that are now creepy because of the movies associated with them

Heard this one being used in a commercial once. Can't remember the product they were promoting , as this song is forever edged in my soul as a warning ('zombies inbound in 5,4,3,...') and it will always remind me of my own lack of preparation for a zombie outbreak. What genius decided to use this to promote their shampoo / car / whatever? It doesn't conjure up the safety I need to fulfill my consumer needs. I don't see 'a-modern-car-driving-around-in-an-artistically-filmed-mountain-setting commercial' , I see desperate survivors looking for shelter with a brand new car they probably jacked from another group of survivors. All this is the songs fault...

Last edited by LaMuerte; April 14, 2015 at 10:18 AM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by LaMuerte View Post
    Heard this one being used in a commercial once. Can't remember the product they were promoting , as this song is forever edged in my soul as a warning ('zombies inbound in 5,4,3,...') and it will always remind me of my own lack of preparation for a zombie outbreak. What genius decided to use this to promote their shampoo / car / whatever? It doesn't conjure up the safety I need to fulfill my consumer needs. I don't see 'a-modern-car-driving-around-in-an-artistically-filmed-mountain-setting commercial' , I see desperate survivors looking for shelter with a brand new car they probably jacked from another group of survivors. All this is the songs fault...

It is an awesome tune
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I don't know, the camera pans away as it happens so you don't really see anything.

OT, the Shining really turned this catchy tune into a haunting piece of music

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

A very good composition
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

If there was a single right answer to this thread it has to be....

Warning disturbing images and profanity.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

One the most memorable movie psycho's ever, not bad going considering he wasn't even the best psycho in the movie..
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 14, 2015 at 03:14 PM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Cant check it now (because I am lazy) but IIRC tubular bells was previous to the exorcist

apropos Shining ...

Every one of these suggestions are just fantastic guys, and so obvious that I should have thought of them first. Cheers!

EDIT. Oops, OP already mentioned "Stuck in the middle with you". I was kinda wondering why that one hadn't been brought up yet...
    Meh, it still deserves a place.
    Last edited by Visna; April 15, 2015 at 03:35 AM.

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

This is a simple concept: which songs are now ruined and/or inescapably reinterpreted because of later creepy movies associated with them? This is an interesting concept I've had ever since watching Reservoir Dogs, with the ear-cutting torture scene in which "Stuck in the Middle with You" by Stealer's Wheel plays in the background. That song is now forever tainted thanks to Tarantino.

Then of course there's songs like "Blue Velvet," like this rendition by Bobby Vinton, which will obviously conjure in the mind scenes from David Lynch's disturbing thriller of the same name from 1986. Every time I hear this song I usually can't shake the idea of Dennis Hopper dropping the F-bomb in every sentence, usually in an abusive manner.

So what other songs are unfortunately ruined for us all because films like these that feature them? Let's make a list!
    That reservoir dogs scene isn't gruesome at all, the camera pans away, I remember many years ago how a video store clerk complained about "people returning reservoir dogs and demanding the uncensored version where you see the gruesome scene of a cop's ear being cut off, instead of the tame version where the camera pans away" because they had heard about "the gruesome scene where a cop is tortured and his ear is cut off"

I wouldn't use reservoir dogs as a negative song ruin-er either, that movie taught me to appreciate so many songs from my parents era...

Then again, in my cricles as young impressionable teenagers, and in full hormone mode, and with your typical teenager authority issues we considered the reservoir dogs guys as the good guys, most people I knew back in the day cheered at the torture of the cop, I was in a place where I could only go home in the weekends, and we where boys and girls ranging from 12 to 23 from all social classes with different forms of a handicap (physical like me, or emotional like some others, or hard to raise due to family circumstances like some of my friends) some of the oldest kids really hated police and any form of authority, and it was the days of gangster chic with many gangster movies coming out and after that came the "Gangsta thug life era"

I grew up as a 13 year old and 14 year old and onwards to 18, with the people around me encouraging the likes of mr blonde, guys who worshipped the people from clockworkorange which I notice is mentioned next. etc...

Movies don't really shock me

If I have to pick movies that ruined songs for me, it would be family movies and kid's movies using rock classics or rap music but they never stay in my memory long enough for me to mention one right now
    Most movies can only improve music for me, like tarantino did when he made a young 13 year old Sabaku associate a mystical level of cool with 70's music (and wearing sunglasses and a suit)
    Last edited by sabaku_no_gaara; April 15, 2015 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    That reservoir dogs scene isn't gruesome at all, the camera pans away, I remember many years ago how a video store clerk complained about "people returning reservoir dogs and demanding the uncensored version where you see the gruesome scene of a cop's ear being cut off, instead of the tame version where the camera pans away" because they had heard about "the gruesome scene where a cop is tortured and his ear is cut off"
    It shows actor Michael Madsen holding the guy's severed ear and talking into it to taunt him. I think that's warrant enough for a censor bypass warning.

Plus, if you forget, in a later scene it does show the aftermath of the cop's mutilated head without a right ear, with a huge bloody fleshy mess on the side of his head. If that's not gruesome enough for you, then I suppose you could watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre instead.

I wouldn't use reservoir dogs as a negative song ruin-er either, that movie taught me to appreciate so many songs from my parents era...

Then again, in my cricles as young impressionable teenagers, and in full hormone mode, and with your typical teenager authority issues we considered the reservoir dogs guys as the good guys, most people I knew back in the day cheered at the torture of the cop, I was in a place where I could only go home in the weekends, and we where boys and girls ranging from 12 to 23 from all social classes with different forms of a handicap (physical like me, or emotional like some others, or hard to raise due to family circumstances like some of my friends) some of the oldest kids really hated police and any form of authority, and it was the days of gangster chic with many gangster movies coming out and after that came the "Gangsta thug life era"

I grew up as a 13 year old and 14 year old with people encouraging the likes of mr blonde, guys who worshipped the people from clockworkorange which I notice is mentioned next.
    To that list you could add Scarface and Goodfellas, but those movies, along with Reservoir Dogs, are a warning that engaging in criminal activities and the lifestyle is hazardous to your health and sometimes lethal for the ones you love. As a teenager you obviously don't think about that stuff, because everyone thinks they're somehow invincible at that age. I sure did.

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Remind me to rep you for the second part of your post when my 3 points expire

Plus, if you forget, in a later scene it does show the aftermath of the cop's mutilated head without a right ear, with a huge bloody fleshy mess on the side of his head. If that's not gruesome enough for you, then I suppose you could watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre instead.
    By today's standard, heck even by 1974 standard, the original Chainsaw massacre movie isn't gory and there is pretty much no on-screen violence. Although the various remakes and additions to the francise range from god awful to ing crap, the original is a classic that no self respecting movie collection should be without.

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.

Quote Originally Posted by Visna View Post
    By today's standard, heck even by 1974 standard, the original Chainsaw massacre movie isn't gory and there is pretty much no on-screen violence. Although the various remakes and additions to the francise range from god awful to ing crap, the original is a classic that no self respecting movie collection should be without.
    Visna is hardcore; I like it.

You're also right about that. Even The Thing (1982) with Kurt Russell is gorier than the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but the latter is still incredibly disturbing. I'd venture to say the original TCM is scarier than a great deal of more recent horror movies that have a ton more gore in them.

MacCarthy's Avatar Miles

Stuck in the Middle With You

(Warning Profanity and Blood)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well someone didnt bother to read any of the posts

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Was there a version with 'Sound of Silence?'

I've only ever seen it with 'Times they are a' Changing.'

Such a great film either way...

Also... Though not so much creepy...I can't hear this song any more without thinking about Tyler getting his head blown off and the explosions..

Spoilers if you haven't seen 'Fightclub.' - You should also be beaten with a stick..

Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 15, 2015 at 04:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast