Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire Mod

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Mod

The mod does seem in hibernation. I was the last post on it and I posted ages ago (before I reformatted my PC three times due to viruses ). If the modders are in hibernation, then maybe there could be a small collaborationt to make a aSoIaF lite mod. That just uses the units and names? Ideas?

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Well, one wouldn't want to be accused of usurping anyone's place, but M2TW is such a patently perfect platform for an ASOIAF mod. As I said, certainly if you gain the dedicated services of even one half-way experienced overall modder, and particularly of somebody good at things like banners, you could create a "lite" battlemode mode with a basic new UI and custom battles. Leave the campaign for the moment, forget about the more complicated factions like the wildlings, and just aim for having the 8 major houses playable in custom battles. You could do that with 1 coder, 1 skinner, and 1 2D artist if they were dedicated to the project. 3 people, less if someone could do two of those things.

Of course, finding such people is ever the hard part. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fair amount of interest though, even if most people had other things on their plates. ASoIaF is very popular, after all.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Manuel Komnenos's Avatar Senator

So what's happening with this mod?
    Why we dig up the past? To understand it.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    Well, one wouldn't want to be accused of usurping anyone's place, but M2TW is such a patently perfect platform for an ASOIAF mod. As I said, certainly if you gain the dedicated services of even one half-way experienced overall modder, and particularly of somebody good at things like banners, you could create a "lite" battlemode mode with a basic new UI and custom battles. Leave the campaign for the moment, forget about the more complicated factions like the wildlings, and just aim for having the 8 major houses playable in custom battles. You could do that with 1 coder, 1 skinner, and 1 2D artist if they were dedicated to the project. 3 people, less if someone could do two of those things.

Of course, finding such people is ever the hard part. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fair amount of interest though, even if most people had other things on their plates. ASoIaF is very popular, after all.

Antagonist
    And in that case, getting in touch with those guys would be a good idea...
    http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showforum=24

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    If I may make one suggestion though: from the forum it seems that everyone is concentrating heavily on bringing ASOIAF to the Grand Campaign. Obviously that is the ultimate goal of an ASOIAF mod, but it's a very large undertaking. I would try and emphasise more of a focus on the battle game, unit artwork, banners and so on. Compared to most mod conversion projects, it would actually take relatively little time and effort (a lot of work on banners, some skinning and really basic coding really) to, say, convert vanilla England into House Lannister, all the units are essentially there.
    Personally I would not be interested in a Westeros mod that only features battle games. It would not add anything substantially new compared to vanilla M2:TW. True, it could be done in a matter of weeks with the right people but I believe that most of the fans here are looking forward to play the Grand Campaign, or not? I want to march my armies around Westeros and fight the other houses. There is no computer game out there that can let us do this except for M2:TW.

It seems that the modders are "hibernating" (a euphemism for 'inactive') with no word when or if they will return. It's their noble right to withdraw from this mod. They have already put more effort in it than any of us here and they don't owe us anything. I can only hope that they'll come back or that some other courageous modder stands forward and picks up this thing.

As many others have suggested I think that our primary focus should be on developing a 'Westeros-lite' mod. Forget about all that total conversion stuff: ain't gonna happen.

Now what could this Westeros-lite mod include?

- a map of Westeros that stops at the Wall. Scripting a Wildlings faction and making a Wall model for the campaign map + a special Other unit is too much work. A lot of research on the terrain types and the trade resources has already been done (just check the various threads at the Westeros site).
    - 8 or 9 factions (Arryn, Tully, Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy, Baratheon, Martell, Tyrell and maybe Targaryen).
    - Custom banners (you could use those on the Westeros site)
    - all units come from the vanilla game, they just have new names. Of course many units will need to be excluded (ie. musketeers).
    - 45-50 regions; each faction starts with 3-5 territories so there is ample room to expand. Starting with 12-15 regions per faction is waaay too much in my opinion. It's more fun if you can carve out your own kingdom.
    - portraits for some family members can come from Amoka's art.
    - for loading screens just use Amoka's or Morano's art (they are awesome).

There, if all that is done you have a pre-alpha mod which is ready for release. It can be done in a relatively short period of time. After that you can still add the eye candy (skins, custom buildings), descriptions for buildings and traits, and much more. There is no need to release a nearly complete mod (it would take years).

Does this sound reasonable?

Tiro

Yes it does!
    After first release - the team could concentrate on making some of the unique cities; eg King's Landing etc.

I am an intermediate level skinner and expert 2d artist and a huge fan of these books. My faculties are offered to anyone who still wants to do this mod.

Cheers

In the game of thrones, you either win or you die.
    Westeros: Total War Music & Sound Design
    Westeros: Total War Skinning

Decanus

I love the novels and Im looking forward to this mod. If the moders need some help with skinning, i'd gladly aid them ) Just PM me.

Well, I've made a little reskin of Danish Huscarls for Greyjoys.
    There are some screenshots.

Gampie's Avatar Tiro

Looks pretty good. I notice you've changed the banners as well. Nice!

Nice work Hellfell.

I'd love to help with this as well. I don't have any artistic or modding skills of use, but I have a good working knowledge of the books and would be happy to help with research or testing.

Please let me know if I can be of service.

"Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne."

Default Re: Idea for Aegon's Dragons.

Perhaps the dragons could sorta work as a bombardment?
    Perhaps with unlimited range and they need not appear on the map or battlefield, and to keep things level only be able to use a "dragon bombardment" three times each round, once for each dragon.
    I'm thinking you would just have to animate the "dragon bombardment" and for that you could just take the mongonel shot and make it cover a MUCH wider area, and just have the shot originate from somewhere above or behind the camera,this way you wouldn't need to actually design a dragon.

p.s I'm not a modder and have little modding experience.
    p.p.s I meant this reply for the end of page 1, sorry it's so out of place.
    Last edited by Nic; October 21, 2011 at 02:23 PM.

Only a true necro would revive a 4-year-old thread.

Sorry for the trouble my friend. You will find the new forum here.

Moderators, please close this thread, and for any further readers, this mod is progressing quite well.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011