Thread: Missile Unit Range Cone/indicator

Decanus

Default Missile Unit Range Cone/indicator

I noticed recently the NTW3 mod removed their cone of range for realism and I really liked the idea though haven't installed the mod to test. I think this should happen in R2TR, although, the unit description should clearly state estimated unit range since armies know their equipment and their abilities.

Default Re: Missile Unit Range Cone/indicator

thats the thing - i have removed weapon rage from units, because they were way too accurate. Javelin range was never so accurate for entire unit. every soldier would have completely different range with his weapon so having it set to certain number was a bit too much i think. Plus, this change allowed me to adjust the range scale based on in-game hardcoded mechanics, like skirmisher retreat distance, so range of certain skirmisher weapons was not making them unable to perform skirmish duty - and by using the scale, long range weapons still had their range advantage..

Would removal affect AI also? Because to me it seems, AI knows exactly when it is in range of my archers or javelins and will advance after getting in the conve of fire, even though I haven't fired/thrown any projectiles yet. If it would remove the knowledge from the AI also, then I'm ok with it, if not, then I personally wouldn't like to give another edge to the AI.

no ,AI will always know the range. thats how CA made it to work.. it will try to dance at your max range because scripts tell it to..

Decanus

Hmm but surely the missile type would allow for an estimation. I see a bit of a trouble with the current system, that being, the visual cone of range on the battlefield is actually more so unrealistic than a numerical range estimation... (god hovering of the battle field and with a precise view of a whole pile of men's throwing distance)

Perhaps the solution is to remove the cone of range, also. You could add "short range, medium range, long range, very long range" in the unit notes.

I have only removed the value from Unit info, didn't removed anything else. Value is hidden, because values are scaled for different scale and it would be confusing to the player. (like seeing Pilum range to be 30, when in reality its range was around 15-25m.. but in R2TR, all ranges are adjusted to the same scale)

Decanus

I think the unit description can help solve this: "These fine men throw an iron javelin up to 15 meters" ..

Although it would be easier to just keep the range cone as a reference rather than rewriting all the texts, removing the cone would improve realism.

Thats actually what i wanted to prevent. At this point we are using a bit different distance scale, to accomodate the hardcoded retreat distances for skirmishers.. if I used real life range with 1:1 scale, skirmishers would never throw a javelin, because enemy would get way too close to them, and they would start running away.. Instead, we have a scale, therefore all ranges are increased by 20-30% (dont remember exact number right now) and to not confuse players with those boosted ranges, i've removed the range number from UI unit stats table.

You dont need really to worry about ranges, right now they are relatively simple - Javelins are short to medium range (short for melee infantry, medium for skirmishers), slingers and bowmen are medium to long range, and artillery is long range.

Decanus

I see the conflict. Well, if anyone is interested in removing the cone, for realism, I still think typing in a range estimate to all the descriptions might be the solution, if I understand correctly the issues.

removing the cone(range indicator) would be actually great.