Thread: White Harbor, seat of House Manderly

Default White Harbor, seat of House Manderly

WHITE HARBOR

White Harbor is a harbor city in the North which contains the New Castle, the seat of House Manderly. Located south of Winterfell, it is the largest settlement north of the Neck, but the smallest among the five major cities of Westeros. White Harbor is the North's primary trade port. Its location on the mouth of the White Knife provides opportunities for trade further north. Due to its location White Harbor has more contact with the south and there are more knights and followers of the Faith of the Seven in White Harbor than anywhere else in the North. There are some followers of the old gods, but most follow the Faith. The city has access to good fishing grounds and is also the home of many silversmiths. Furthermore White Harbor has strong ties with Braavos, maintaining a prosperous trade route between both cities; the Braavosi influence can be noticed in architecture, crafts and even fashion.

White Harbor is located on the eastern shore of the White Knife. It is clean and well-ordered, with wide straight cobbled streets that make it easy to walk around. The houses are built of whitewashed stone, with steeply-pitched roofs of dark grey slate. The city is protected by thick walls. The Seal Gate, protected by a solid barbican, opens into the harbor, shielded by formidable fortifications.

• Wolf's Den: An ancient, now disused castle which serves as the dungeons of the city. Once made to stop people getting in, now it has been engineered to stop people getting out. -2 escape rolls for captives in the city.
    • Good smiths: White Harbor is well known for having some of the best smiths north of the Neck, particularly silver smiths. All weapons and armor cost 10% less to buy.
    • Major Port: White Harbor serves as the main trade port for all of the North. As such, this grants the owner of White Harbor one additional trade route an 1,500 naval points
    • Walls of White Harbor: This city guards the one entrance to the White Knife and it has been fortified by the Manderlys for generations to defend the North from attack. +2 siege bonus.

DESCRIPTION AND LANDMARKS OF THE CITY

There are several points of note outside the city's strong walls:

• Seal Rock is a massive stone dominating the approaches to the Outer Harbor. It is crowned with a ringfort of weathered stones of the First Men that stood desolate and abandoned for centuries. However, the Manderlys fortify it with crossbowmen, scorpions, and spitfires. The stone looms fifty feet above the waters, grey-green in color. Seals often rest on it. Without assaulting and conquering the stone's top approaching the harbor is almost impossible.
    • The harbor is divided into the inner and outer harbors. The outer harbor is larger, but the inner harbor offers better anchorage and shelter by the city wall on one side and the looming mass of the Wolf's Den on another. A mile-long, thirty foot wall, with towers every hundred yards, is located on the jetty that separates the two harbors.
    • The Wolf's Den is an ancient fortress that now serves as a prison. It is located by the water and adjoins the city walls. Houses cling like barnacles to the walls of the Wolf's Den; one is a brewhouse which makes well-regarded black beer. There is a godswood within the prison's walls.
    • A fish market is located between the outer harbor and the Seal Gate. Seafood available at White Harbor include whitefish, winkles, crabs, mussels, clams, herring, cod, salmon, lobster, and lampreys, everything coming from the large fisheries in the vicinities of the city and in the sea between the White Knife and Skagos.

There are several places of notice inside the city walls:

• Fishfoot Yard, a cobbled square with a fountain at its center, located just outside the Seal Gate. There is an alley leading to a brothel.
    • The Old Mint, located in Fishfoot Yard. The right to mint coin was granted by a past Lord Stark during a particularly harsh winter when the seventh Lord Manderly fed half the Realm by purchasing Essosi grain after pawning most of his treasury. In sign of gratitude he was granted the aforementioned right, a symbol of high prestige. The White Harbor coins show a merman and a seven-pointed star.
    • The Lazy Eel, a winesink renowned for offering the oldest whores and vilest wine in White Harbor, along with meat pies full of lard and gristle that are inedible on their best days and poisonous on their worst.
    • Castle Stair is a street with steps. It is a broad white stone way that leads up from the Wolf’s Den by the water to the New Castle on its hill. Marble mermaids light the way, bowls of burning whale oil cradled in their arms. From the top there is a view down to both harbors.
    • The Sept of the Snows is a large sept with a domed roof surmounted by tall statues of the Seven. It is lavishly decorated, enriched by generations of piety and largesse.

THE NEW CASTLE:

Chambers within the castle are handsomely furnished. The household guard wear cloaks of blue-green wool and carry silver tridents instead of spears. The Manderlys decorate their castle with faded banners, broken shields and rusted swords from ancient victories, and wooden figures from the prows of ships. There is a secret passage beneath the Castle Stair that leads from the New Castle to the Wolf's Den.

The Merman's Court is the great hall of the New Castle where the Manderlys hold court. Its walls, floor, and ceiling are made of wooden planks notched cunningly together and decorated with all the creatures of the sea, symbolizing the power of the Manderlys over the Northern seas. At one end is the entrance, at the other is a dais where there is a large cushioned throne, heavily carved. The floor has painted crabs and clams and starfish, half-hidden amongst twisting black fronds of seaweed and the bones of drowned sailors. On the walls are pale sharks prowling painted blue-green depths, whilst eels and octopods slither amongst rocks and sunken ships. Shoals of herring and great codfish swim between the tall, arched windows. Higher up, near where the old fishing nets droop down from the rafters, the surface of the sea is depicted. To the right a war galley rests serenely against the rising sun; to the left, a battered old cog races before a storm, her sails in rags. Behind the dais a kraken and grey leviathan are locked in battle beneath the painted waves.

LORD AND HOUSEHOLD
    -LORD TORRHEN MANDERLY-

Lord of White Harbor, Warden of the White Knife, Shield of the Faith, Defender of the Dispossessed, Lord Marshall of the Mander, Knight of the Order of the Green Hand

Born in 244 AC
    Children: Rodric Manderly (born 266 AC), Wyman Manderly (born 267 AC), Bartimus Manderly (271 AC), Wylla Manderly (twin to Leona, born 273 AC), Leona Manderly (twin to Wylla, born 273 AC) and one-and-twenty baseborn sons and daughters.
    Nicknames: The Thrice-Pious, the Sea-Horse, the Baby-maker

Traits (11):

+3 Survival
    +3 Wealth
    +1 Duels
    +1 Joust
    +1 Battles
    +2 Naval Battles

BIOGRAPHY:

Lord Torrhen Manderly is a robust and tall man; not a single stone of fat graces his body. Lord Manderly is an avid hunter, falconer and rider, one of the very best in the North, which led to him being nicknamed the “Sea-Horse”. Torrhen is a good sailor and has battled and killed every pirate in the sight of his walls. The lavish court of the Merman needs the income provided by trade tariffs and taxes. Thus for the Lord of White Harbor is essential to protect trade and make it flourish. More so when White Harbor is the only pot in the whole North.

Torrhen is as skilled killing the Seven’s creatures (ranging from wolves to great white bears) as making money; he is often seen lurking in the harbors, discussing and making deals with Ibbenese whalers, dye traders from Pentos, Bravoosi loaners and Volantene silk traders. He likes to hang out with characters of dubious origin, and is an usual sight in the inns of his city. Being fluent in a dozen languages he chatters with foreigners and Northerners alike.

Voracious in bed and table he has fathered one-and-twenty bastards (he says to honor the Seven, thrice) and is famous to have defeated Megara the Whale, a Volantene known for her unlimited hunger, after a day-long feast. He wears splendid furs and robes, heavily embroidered, his armor was made by the best smiths in King’s Landing, he donated White Harbor's sept two charts filled with silver and his flagship, the Seahorse, is a magnificent galleon commissioned at Braavos at the highest expense.

Twenty years ago he married Lady Eleanor Velaryon, whom he met at High Tide. A woman as willful and high-spirited as him, who has fathered two bastards on her own, but only when, after ten years of marriage, during a spectacular argument (almost a brawl), they decided to live on their own, separated. However, an unlikely friendship was born soon afterwards and both are now perfect companions.
    His wedlock-born children strongly resemble their father, some in mind other in body; the heir, Rodric, is as witty and excessive as his father; Wyman has long being absent in Braavos as a courtier to the Sealord and one of the best clients of the Merling Queen, which earned him to be dubbed as the "Merman King"; Bartimus is forging his chain in Oldtown or at least he claims so; Wylla and Leona, twins, are fair maidens, tall as Umber Ladies, good riders and falconers, a common sight in every hunting field a day away from White Harbor.

House Manderly swore an oath of loyalty to Lord Stark, several times were the houses joined by marriage, but their relationship with the Iron Throne was equally good, and a Targaryen princess, Viserra, daughter of Jaehaerys I and Queen Alysanne, almost married Lord Wyman III Manderly, their bethrotal contract signed during the Kings' visit to the North. Due such amity towards the throne Lord Torrhen showed certain reluctance in supporting his liege lord against King Aerys II, however their unwavering loyalty towards the Starks overcame any qualm.

ECONOMY

TRADE

Furs. +5% Income, +1 to any rolls to convince an AI character to do something (Includes calling your vassals to war)
    1-Fruits, with House Hightower of Oldtown.
    2-Armor, with House Swann of Stonehelm.
    3-Grain, with House Mallister of Seagard.
    4-Not yet.

BUILDINGS

Tier I:
    Tier II:
    Tier III:
    Tier IV:

INCOME
    WIP

MILITARY

LEVY
    WIP

FLEET
    WIP

Last edited by Oznerol; April 30, 2015 at 04:21 PM.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Default Re: White Harbor, seat of House Manderly

Horns and trumpets thunderously announced the arrival of the Sea-Horse, the splendid three-decked galleon of Lord Torrhen. The Seal Rock, crowned with ballistae and siege weapons protected the entrance to the harbor, where the ship made his triumphal entrance.

"Come on you, get out!"

Lord Torrhen pushed the whore from his bed, he was a nubile Summer Islander with breasts as peaches and black like an ink pot. She ran towards the entrance. Torrhen was usually ill-tempered early in the morning.

"Where is my codpiece? Bring me that doublet!"

Three pagues arrived and started dressing their Lord. Every piece of his attire was magnificent including the golden livery badge with a pending green hand. Lastly the belt with the sword was tightened by his bastard and personal squire, Edwile Snow. The colossal Torrhen pats his baseborn son's curly and blonde head.

"Where's the wine? Good Dornish one not the pee the Bravoosi call wine!"

Cup in hand, with jewelled fingers appeared on the ship's deck the formidable Torrhen. Resting his muscular arm on the sword's pommel he looked towards his city, white and splendid under the morning's sun. Sailors, guars and servants moved like busy ants around the deck, preparing to dock on the Harbor, where a reception party had been swiftly assembled, led by Lady Eleanor Manderly, nee Velaryon, the redoubtable wife, companion and regent of Lord Torrhen.

"Aye, It's good to be back at home"

As a welcome Torrhen farted. And laughed.

A raven is sent in reply to Lord Manderly from Lord Hightower.

To Lord Manderly,

It will be my pleasure to open our port to your tradeships. I do hope that this will be the start of a new successful business venture.

Sincerely,

Lord Rolland Hightower, High Lord of the Honeywine, Lord of the Port, Lord of the Hightower, Defender of the Citadel, Beacon of the South
    OOC: In terms of trade, this will be considered my fourth trade route that opens up next year. Nothing else is needed from you Oz, but I have to make it fit.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

It had taken some time, but finally the ship arrived at White Harbor. Lord Royce Bolton wasted no time, making his way to the Merman's Court, demanding an audience with Lord Torrhen Manderly, a discussion concerning a wedding of two great houses.

The Bolton was led through the lavish corridors of the New Castle, finally arriving to the Merman's Court where Lord Manderly sat surrounded by courtiers and retainers. A tall, beautiful and proud woman stands next to the carved throne, well-dressed in a Southron manner and with Valyrian features: Lady Eleanor Manderly, nee Velaryon, the brains behind the boisterous Manderly.

"My dearest Lord Bolton, be welcome to White Harbor! My house is yours!"

A servant with the Manderly colors brings bread and salt.

"Hopefully you come here to discuss about the union of our families in blood and kin"

Lady Manderly eyes Lord Bolton carefully, caressing one of her rings.

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lord Manderly,

On behalf of House Mallister I am authorised to announce our intention to accept your most noble and gracious offer of trade between our thriving lands and hope this to be the start of a most prosperous friendship.

Signed and Sealed,
    Lord Tristan Mallister

The raven from Stonehelm returns.

Lord Manderly,

My house would be glad to trade the munition armours of the Stormlands and some more specialized pieces to White Harbor along with the other products of the craftsmen and artisans of Stonehelm in exchange for the furs and other wares of White Harbor. I also thank you for the small sample of the exotic goods your city can obtain, and will send a gift in return with the first shipment of armour.

Lady Cimbre Swann, High Lady of the Redwatch, Warden of the Slayne, and Lady of Stonehelm
    ---
    A merchant that arrives near the end of the year from Stonehelm carries a small box delivered to the New Castle containing several bottles of Lyseni wine.

Royce nodded to Lord Manderly courteously. He slowly ate a piece of the bread and tasted the salt. The guest right was the guest right after all, and even he had to honor it for now. Bolton had not much to say about Torrhen Manderly. He was a southern lord in the North, with southern traditions and southern faith. House Manderly had no place in the North, they were not northmen. Yet they were among the most powerful of Lord Stark's banners and would have to be pleased.

"Indeed, I received a raven from my son, explaining that Rodric is a guest at the Dreadfort, asking for my daughter's hand in marriage. I must say the notion has come to me as well. Roslin is a woman grown and needs a husband. White Harbor would be a good home for her, and Rodric seems like a man who would honor his vows. Though I have one demand: they will be married under a heart tree, under the gaze of the old gods."

Soke whispers arise around among the courtiers there gathered. The septon speaks to Manderly's ear and Lady Eleanor frowns, Manderly is answer waves a hand dismissing their complains:

"Under a heart tree, humm?"

His jewelled fingers pitter patter the throne's arm. He looked pensive.

"If that is your only demand I accept it. She shall keep the faith of her forefathers and practice it. We have a godswood at Old Castle"

Lord Bolton made a light bow.

"I am pleased. As soon as a raven is sent to the Dreadfort, we can prepare for the wedding. Feasts are not within my area of expertise, I hope Lord Torrhen can handle that part? A proper dowry will of course come from my own coffers."

"The raven will be sent inmediately. If you want you may accompany my maester to the rookery to personally write home, Lord Bolton"

Torrhen laughed:

"The feast will be my task. It will be a marriage as it has not be seen in the Reach in a century! Since the days of Lord Cregan Stark or my forefather Lord Bartimus Manderly the Magnificent"

Lady Manderly smiled to Bolton.

"Your daughter shall be my own, she will find a home here in White Harbor, and in her will be joined the blood of the Andals, the Valyrians and the First Men"

Poach's Avatar Civitate

A raven in reply from Karhold.

"Lord Manderly,

Your terms are unacceptable. This port has been built for the betterment of the people of Karhold and to bring commerce to the furthest north, an area in which your interests and past interactions are nil. I will not surrender control of my rightful land to another. I doubt Lord Stark will take kindly to White Harbour attempting to stifle the economic betterment of his domain.

Lord Karstark"

Poach's Avatar Civitate

A raven arrives agreeing to the meeting.

[OOC: Where is it?]

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    "The raven will be sent inmediately. If you want you may accompany my maester to the rookery to personally write home, Lord Bolton"

Torrhen laughed:

"The feast will be my task. It will be a marriage as it has not be seen in the Reach in a century! Since the days of Lord Cregan Stark or my forefather Lord Bartimus Manderly the Magnificent"

Lady Manderly smiled to Bolton.

"Your daughter shall be my own, she will find a home here in White Harbor, and in her will be joined the blood of the Andals, the Valyrians and the First Men"
    Hopefully he would not have to endure too much of the dreadful wedding feast. By the gods, the celebrations of southron lords were repulsive in their lavishness.

"That is reassuring to hear."

At Lady Manderly's words, Royce could only nod. She will be in your care until the day she slits your throat out of boredom, he thought to himself.

"I am sure Roslin will be pleased by those words, my lady. I must take my leave now, there are many ravens that will have to fly today."

"I bid you farewell, Lord Bolton"

Said Lord Torrhen.

A weatherstained missive arrives by a common carrier, the letter inquires whether or not House Manderly would be receptive to hear a proposal for trade with Essos from a small merchant in King's Landing.

Ooc: Manderly is being played by me now