Thread: Renaming Settlements: Creative names?

Default Renaming Settlements: Creative names?

As a shogun total war/mongol invasion/mtw1/rtw/BI/alexander/EmpireTotalWar vet, i can say that this is the first time ive pondered what to call some of the settlements i capture as the elves. Note that im playing as the elves of lorien on MOS 1.61 i believe. As such, i like to come up with elvish sounding names that probably mean absolutely nothing sensical, but still make me feel better than calling the new elven city "Moria".

So for moria, i changed it to Cerin Dulin, and Dol Guldur i changed it to Earnur Mithlond. No clue if that means anything, but damn it it sounds elvish!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

Default Re: Renaming Settlements: Creative names?

Well if Lorien is your chosen tipple and you are searching for names then Sindarin will be your weapon of choice, here are some basics that are useful in naming places:
    Gobel - Village
    Caras / Ost - Town or city (both) (As seen in your Capital City - Caras Galadhon 'City of the Trees' (Galadhon is Silvan so we can only guess at its meaning, tree in Sindarin is Galadh, pronounced Galath))
    Orod - mountain
    amon - hill
    Forn - north
    Harad - south
    Rhûn - east
    Dûn - west
    Lond - haven or port
    Mithren - grey, Caran - Red, Luin - blue, malen - yellow, Calen - green, Rhosc - brown, Fain - white (note that Nimrais from Ered Nimrais doesn't literally translate as white it translates as 'pale white peaks', Morn - black,
    I have been studying Sindarin for nigh on 4 years now and have banked a very large collection of words and can create sentences and word structure pretty darn well so it might just be easier if you think of something you would want to call it and I would happily translate it for you.

Side note, Earnur Mithlond is Quenyan and Sindarin together and even though that is like having french and english in the same sentence, it would mean:
    Servant of the Sea Grey Haven. Interpret that as you will.

P.S apologies for the long explanations, I rarely get to talk about Sindarin with anyone, even his eminence, the great Lore-keeper Ngugi, has forsaken the language of the Grey Elves.
    Last edited by Arachir Galudirithon; April 09, 2015 at 07:12 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

@ Galu
    I can dabble with it at need, but I leave the lingustic field to the nerds Professor and his disciples

@ eugenioso
    This may be a handy dictonary for Sindarin if you're looking for words: http://www.jrrvf.com/hisweloke/sinda...ict-en-sd.html

Edit: in case you want to use actual names, Moria was earlier named Hadhodrond by the Elves, and Dol Guldur was known as Amon Lanc before Sauron set up his humble establishment there
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 09, 2015 at 10:50 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Yes, Hisweloke's dictionary is perhaps the most complete one out there. A few years back they had a download version that also writes the word out in tengwar and allows you to search but I think it has been taken down. It still sits proudly on my taskbar.

The creation of the words is where the magic comes in. Have fun with it!

I was aware of Amon Lanc being the name beforehand, but i said screw it, Gondor dont speak Elven, the dwarves dont care, and the elven speakers will wonder for all the remaining ages of the world what Earnur Mithlond means (just as long as it doesnt mean "schlong cheese" or "Maggot Haven")
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

To each his own indeed, and personal freedom and once own touch is only fun

For the record however the Dunedain did speak Sindarin (at least their nobility still during LotR), and most of the geographical names we know, often given by the Dúnedain, are in Sindarin: Gondor, Arnor, Annuminas, Osgiliath, Amon Sul, Minas Tirith, Minas Ithil/Morgul, Ithilien, Osgiliath, Pelargir, Orthanc, Cardolan, Rhudaur, Fornost, Rohan, Harad, Rhûn, Dol Guldur, Mordor, Barad-dur, Orodruin etc etc.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I personally prefer Quenya as a language. But Sindarin is nice as well.

Quenya certainly does flow better owing to its roots and Sindarin is more clunky (Welsh is never a good language to take bits from, that language is crazy - We get Welsh language tv channels here in England too, always worth a watch for the laughs. ). I was drawn to Sindarin purely because I am ashamed to admit I was a film fanboy before I was a book worm.

Nothing to be ashamed of there. The important thing is that you found Tolkien

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Arthohir View Post
    Nothing to be ashamed of there. The important thing is that you found Tolkien
    Which led us all to Third Age Total War #greatsuccess

Default Name for new kingdom

I am playing right now in the campain with the dvide and conquer mod as vale of dorwinion.
    I conquer Rhun and the Khand now moving into Harad terretory, still not in war with Mordor I just dont feel strong enogh and I want the One Ring whitch is in the possesed by one of the general of Umbar.
    and now what I want is to change the name of my faction cuse I am controling much more then the Vale of dorwinion, and I wanted something thet have a meaning in the lore of the world of.
    like when eridor became Aranor.
    also I choose to help the Avari and accepting them with open arm to my kingdom so some elvish name or lost elvish kingdom are also welcome
    and thanks for all the helper and sorry for my english

Not much to go on there (beside the name and that the region exported wine nothing is known about the Place, not even who inhabited it); my prime suggestion would be to simply rename it 'Dorwinion'
    Alternativly 'Rhovanion' as that is the Elvish name for the land between the Misty Mountains and the Sea of Rhûn.

On Avari there's only a few words known, all about the name for Elves, none that ought to be useful I'm afraid: http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/avarin.htm
    But Nandorin might be useful, as it's reasonable that Elves if living in Dorwinion, and who if so had contact with the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood, would picked up Nandorin [words]: http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/nandorin.htm