Thread: ToTW 235: Mare Umbrae - Winner!

Default ToTW 235: Mare Umbrae - Winner!

Mare Umbrae

After nearly a month waiting (I told you late announcements were our thing), I am proud to announce the winner of the 235th Tale of the Week. In this tale of the week we went to the final frontier, to go where no man has gone before. Five tales of space goodness were spawned from five budding writers all eager to claim 1st. Irrespective of the vote, isa0005, Shankbot, William the Marshal, Mhaedros and Darkan all submitted excellent entries and should all be commended for keeping the ToTW alive.

But there could only be one winner as often is sadly the case. But I don't think William the Marshal will be too sad about winning with his tale about one Sophie St. Clair, adventuress and quester. In a galactic marketplace full of strange and weird and wonderful things and less wonderful people, Sophie has a feeling something tremendously important is about to happen. Will something tremendously important happen to Sophie? Good question but only reading Marshal's submission will answer it.

The submissions thread can be found here, the vote thread can be spied here and the tiebreaker can spotted around about here.

I don't think I have to remind you all that ToTW 239 is awaiting more submissions. Next time I have to remind you it'll be a bit less nice. (And you don't want to see me not nice, I learnt from such tyrants as M_1512 and Hitai de Bodemloze. Be afraid.)

Spoiler for Winning Submission
    One morning, Sophia woke up with a feeling that something tremendously important was hovering just out of reach, and that if her mind could grasp it, everything would be all right.

She pushed it aside, and began dressing for work: simple clothes of dark green, with a buff coat to turn aside blades. From her belt she hung an arming sword and a parrying dagger. Thus prepared, she opened her lodgings' door and walked out into the market.

Sophia was immediately assaulted by a cacophony of cries and shouts, each vendor advertising his wares louder than the last. A huge tattooed man with an earring called, "Ships in a bottle! Galleys, cogs, longships! Take you where you need to go!" From a small figure swathed in a dark cloak covered in silvery dust: "Stars, two a penny! Galaxies, ten shillings!" One unsavoury man with green tattoos swirling on his face grinned at Sophia with pointed teeth. "Sylphs' feathers for the pretty lady? Ensnare men, drive rivals mad? No?" Sophia put her hand on the pommel of her dagger. "Bugger off, Mordecai," she growled. He backed away, bowing and scraping. "Jean-Pierre's men are looking for you," he hissed as he retreated. She shrugged and tossed him a crown piece. "Let them look," she replied.

The market swarmed with all types - gawking provincials fresh from the colonies, easy meat for pickpockets; furtive, hairy men from the unexplored forests selling the skins of white harts; stranger persons hawking the breath of fishes, or the hand of a hanged thief. One respectable old fellow with silver-feathered wings stood next to a vulpine gentleman sporting a pointed beard in a stall advertising "Miracles and Curses - Reasonable Rates". Several large men sporting weapons lounged around a sign reading, "Hawkwood, Sforza, Montefeltro, and Associates. The Old Firm. Condottieri at your Command."

Continuing past a number of other such remarkable entrepreneurs, Sophia reached her own premises. The sign outside her tent read "Sophia St. Clair. Adventuress and Quester. Unicorns captured, dragons slain, princesses rescued, princesses kidnapped, kingdoms overthrown. Enquire within for details." She sat down inside the tent and waited for business. Sophia had no need to cry her wares; those who needed her would find her on their own.

Briefly, she recalled her earlier strange mood, and was about to dismiss it as the result of too much venom-mead when she saw them - two young women about her own age. She knew immediately, with the instinct of a quester, that they were the reason behind the odd feeling; she was about to walk over to them when two hulking masses of muscle grabbed her by the arms. "Jean-Pierre wants a word," grunted one of them. Surprised at this loquacious display, Sophia briefly entertained the idea of complimenting him on his obvious intellectual achievements (far above the calibre of most of Jean-Pierre's hired muscle), but decided on reflection that the thug was unlikely to appreciate her subtle humour and instead followed them toward the centre of the fair.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: ToTW 235: Mare Umbrae - Winner!

Congratulations, well deserved
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Congratz, a great tale.

+rep if you post here.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Thanks a lot, I hope soon I'll have a submission for ToTW 238 as well!
    Author of Wanderers, Far from Home and Standing Between Titans
    Do you like to write? Do you like to read things other people write? Why not pop over to Creative Writing or Tale of the Week?