View Poll Results: Should CA release an Islamic Rashidun DLC?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - would be a great addition.

23 56.10%
  • No - this is something that does not appeal to me

7 17.07%
  • Not overly concerned - but might buy it

5 12.20%
  • Not overly concerned - maybe wont buy it.

6 14.63%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Islamic Rashidun DLC

Default Re: Islamic Rashidun DLC

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceofPersia View Post
    I don't think there is, which is such a shame as this would be a great campaign, which ever side you take.
    Recreating wars like batlle of chains, battle of Yarmouk, Battle of Ninevah, Battle of Tours....so many great battles.
    Pity, I agree completely. Up until a few months ago, I had never even realised how pivotal Yarmouk was as a battle in the grand scheme of human history... such a rich period in history.

At this rate, I'd be happy if someone just deleted the WRE, renamed the Sassanids "the Rashidun Caliphate", changed some of the names of the starting faction leaders, and the campaign date!

PrinceofPersia's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by barry12 View Post
    Pity, I agree completely. Up until a few months ago, I had never even realised how pivotal Yarmouk was as a battle in the grand scheme of human history... such a rich period in history.

At this rate, I'd be happy if someone just deleted the WRE, renamed the Sassanids "the Rashidun Caliphate", changed some of the names of the starting faction leaders, and the campaign date!

Yes even a mod would be great at this rate....anyone please!

Battle of Yarmouk was as important as Battle of Tours, some scholars go as far as even saying, if Battle of Yarmouk was lost that the Byzantines, may still ave been around today...as Egypt and Syria where major losses for Byzantines. As for the battle of Tours, Charles Martel had single handedly stopped the rise of Islam in Western Europe.

Well, let's not exagerrate, regardless of the battle's result, there'd be no emperor in Istanbul today, but it was definitely very important, although not exactly a battle. Massacre would be a better term, since the romans just routed, as soon as they made contact with the Arabs. Personally, I'd prefer the battles of Qadisiyyah and Nihavand, which are even less known than the battle of Yarmouk.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Well, let's not exagerrate, regardless of the battle's result, there'd be no emperor in Istanbul today, but it was definitely very important, although not exactly a battle. Massacre would be a better term, since the romans just routed, as soon as they made contact with the Arabs. Personally, I'd prefer the battles of Qadisiyyah and Nihavand, which are even less known than the battle of Yarmouk.
    Agreed that Qadissiyah and Nihavand along with Battle of Walaja (where Khalid ibn Wlaeed did his own version of double envelopment) were great battles, perhaps not known as well as they should. Yarmouk however, was a massacre on a such a scale that the BYzantines evacuated the whole area after. Besides the psychological damage was immense.

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

I wouldn't mind seeing a campaign following Heraclius, from his move from North Africa to the wars with the Sassanids and eventual Islamic expansion. The map should be relatively focused, not to the extent of ceaser in gual but enough to show in detail the aforementioned conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnicleBill1 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a campaign following Heraclius, from his move from North Africa to the wars with the Sassanids and eventual Islamic expansion. The map should be relatively focused, not to the extent of ceaser in gual but enough to show in detail the aforementioned conflicts.
    I disagree personally, I think the current map of Rome 2 and Atilla, would be perfect, maybe add a few Indian and chinese factions.

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

If it encompasses the greatest extent the caliphate would reach that would be an awesome map.

Tiro

If I want a mod to play with Prophet Muhammad in campaign and in battle represented like imam who can may rise morale of soldiers or convert other cities , that would be the problem?

Come on , we are in the XXI century!
    Last edited by Alex Khan; September 22, 2015 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Khan View Post
    If I want a mod to play with Prophet Muhammad in campaign and in battle represented like imam who can may rise morale of soldiers or convert other cities , that would be the problem?

That would mean show him and his portrait in game and it is not acceptable in Islam and a haram.

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

i would like to have that for sure

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Khan View Post

So, just mod it. Anyway, Muhammad was not just an imam. He's also a community leader and in battles, a general.

In any case, this new DLC makes making an Arabic (I prefer that than Islamic) expansion campaign more easier.

Possibly when Attila is done I will start the mod. Right now still modding Rome II.
    Last edited by LestaT; September 22, 2015 at 10:37 AM.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...w-Custom-Units

Why pay for a Dlc when there are mods like this in the making.

[WIP] The Barbarian Invasions - Overhaul Mod for the Grand Campaign with 8 New Starting Dates from 395ad-681ad.And new Custom Units

Quote Originally Posted by stalker33 View Post
    That would mean show him and his portrait in game and it is not acceptable in Islam and a haram.
    Only to a part of Islam. Still, if CA is so afraid of upsetting a small number of conservative and muslim potential customers, they can set the starting date after the death of Mohammad, with Abu Bakr as the Caliph/faction leader. Or add that pic, replacing his portrait in his character's information tab:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Video-games and movies about Mohammad have already been published; CA is not scared about being bombed by an over-sensitive muslim,. They just believe (and rightfully so, I'm afraid), that the Rise of Islam is not popular enough to guarantee a financial success. Same reason why we aren't going to see any game about China or the fall of the Assyrians.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; September 23, 2015 at 05:05 AM.

Massacre would be a better term, since the romans just routed, as soon as they made contact with the Arabs.
    Considering how the battle was fought for 6 days and the Romans had the upper hand at several points, even nearly outright winning it at one point, you might want to reread your history.

I would prefer to have dlc at the time that the rashidun caliphate attacks to the Sassanid and byzantyne empire so I can start with Sassanids and stop the arabic invasion !

Only to a part of Islam. Still, if CA is so afraid of upsetting a small number of conservative and muslim potential customers, they can set the starting date after the death of Mohammad, with Abu Bakr as the Caliph/faction leader. Or add that pic, replacing his portrait in his character's information tab:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Video-games and movies about Mohammad have already been published; CA is not scared about being bombed by an over-sensitive muslim,. They just believe (and rightfully so, I'm afraid), that the Rise of Islam is not popular enough to guarantee a financial success. Same reason why we aren't going to see any game about China or the fall of the Assyrians.

And what's the mainstream interest regarding the last roman? Or the desert faction? The Total War player base is evidently open to new and unfamiliar scenarios which have a potential of expanding the base game. A Rise of Islam campaign with the Romans and Sassanids as the big players and the arabs as the emergent power would certainly wake the interest of the players, that's what announcements, factions reveals, trailers, let's plays etc. are for after all.

As much as I would enjoy to see such a campaign setting, I accept the fact that the potential insult to the group of conservative muslims, no matter how small that group might be, could cause both controversy and a storm.
    The topic right now and probably in the near future is just too hot I'm afraid.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Since they've already created an Arabian faction pack, I highly doubt they'll make a pack for the Rashidun especially after this.

Almost like how the Celts, as a British culture pack, knocked out hopes for a King Arthur campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima View Post
    Considering how the battle was fought for 6 days and the Romans had the upper hand at several points, even nearly outright winning it at one point, you might want to reread your history.
    Sorry, I didn't form my sentence properly. I meant only the last day, when the Romans routed after a furious charge by the Arabs, who exploited the sandstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolaos View Post
    And what's the mainstream interest regarding the last roman? Or the desert faction?
    Belisarius is more famous (imo) and more importantly, his campaign is focused on western Europe. About your second point, there's a completely different approach behind the faction DLCs. Firstly, the players have already made contact with the unplayable faction, so they are already aware of their role in the game. Also, faction DLCs are more numerous and less ambitious in their sales (apart from the pre-order DLCs, like Sparta and the Vikings, which are the flagships of DLCiness.) and can be based on nationalism. However, nationalism is not enough for a campaign DLC, that's why I'm not very optimist. I wish I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt it.

This would be a perfect DLC and would shed light on the Caliphs like Abu Bakr particularly Umar because he laid the foundation of future Caliphs with Organization, government functions, creation of new provinces formerly in Roman hands, and further conquest. I hope CA does this and does not get soft on the because of what is going on in the Levant currently. It would be one of the last great DLC's of Attila. Though a standalone game would flesh it out more.
    Last edited by Muramasa1794; September 23, 2015 at 06:01 PM.

spiderknight's Avatar Ordinarius

This is the same company that left slavery completly out of empire. Do you really think they would touch Islam with a ten foot pole.......i doubt it. CA plays it pretty safe. Total war seems to focus on western Ideological setting and why not? CA is in Britian so i think its best they stick with what they know. And yes shogun totalwar is in the east but Japan seems to me to be the most western of eastern countrys. The Islamic setting just doesnt have the mass appeal that will equal $$$, mainly due to the current state of the middle east.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast