Thread: Fantasy RTS style games similar to Warcraft 3? (Not Starcraft)

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Default Fantasy RTS style games similar to Warcraft 3? (Not Starcraft)

I have a craving for a medieval fantasy style RTS similar to warcraft 2-3, but there doesnt seem to be many out there. I tried Kingdom War's recently, but I did not think much of it, waste of money to be honest. There are plenty of 'realistic' medieval RTS's, but I want me some orc's and elves and the like!

Any suggestions? Ideally I'd like something with an engaging storyline, but i'll settle for less. Turn-based combat is also a bit of a no-no for me. I just dont find it that immersive.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Fantasy RTS style games similar to Warcraft 3? (Not Starcraft)

Spellforce

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Why isn't this in Other Games?

I second Spellforce. It's pretty fun despite the poor writing. There's also Armies of Exigo, Dragonshard, Lords of Everquest and War of the Ring. Slightly different but still fantasy you get Battle Realms, Myth, Warlords Battlecry, Battle For Middle Earth, Dawn of War (Sci-Fi but still has elves and orcs), Chaos League (American football with Orcs and elves where the football is merely the background for epic bar fights between the two teams. cheerleaders are geriatric ogre females with huge tits), Dungeon Keeper 2 and The battle for Wesnoth (free TBS game)
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; April 07, 2015 at 11:43 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Spellforce looks good, however it looks a bit dated, does one need to have played Spellforce 1 to follow the story of Spellforce 2?

Is it so hard to navigate these forums ?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...otal-War-Games

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    Spellforce looks good, however it looks a bit dated, does one need to have played Spellforce 1 to follow the story of Spellforce 2?
    Story was never the strong part of spellforce. Haven't played 2 but 1's story was so cliche and thin that reading it on wiki should suffice.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

You could also try out a game called ParaWorld. It shares similiarites with Warcraft when it comes to choosing how many high or low tier units you want to recruit. Also the only RTS which features Dinosaurs!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    I have a craving for a medieval fantasy style RTS similar to warcraft 2-3, but there doesnt seem to be many out there. I tried Kingdom War's recently, but I did not think much of it, waste of money to be honest. There are plenty of 'realistic' medieval RTS's, but I want me some orc's and elves and the like!

Any suggestions? Ideally I'd like something with an engaging storyline, but i'll settle for less. Turn-based combat is also a bit of a no-no for me. I just dont find it that immersive.
    Have you tried DotA?

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    I second Spellforce. Myth, Warlords Battlecry
    I agree with these choices, especially with Warlords Battlecry 3.

Also:

Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns
    Kohan 2: Kings of War
    Total Annihilation: Kingdoms
    Seven Kingdoms 2: Fryhtan Wars

Mind you that these games are quite old by now, but that doesn't mean they're bad, quite the contrary. The games which resemble Warcraft 3 the most are definitely the two Kohan titles.

Thank guys! ParaWorld, Spellforce 2 and Armies of Exgio look perfect for me! +rep all round!

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Age of Wonders 3 might be to your taste as well, it has a similar style but it includes a campaign and battle map.

It has Orcs, Elves, Humans, Halflings, Goblins, Draconians and Dwarves playable currently and truly has that classic fantasy feel to it.
    Tigrans and Frostlings have been added through the expansion that was released a few days ago, I havent checked it out yet but l certainly will once I worked through a few console games I recently bought.

Great thing here is that it also includes RPG aspects, you get to create your own custom leader and banner. They can be of each race and can be of various classes.
    Warlords as the warrior, dreadnaughts are engineers, wizards, druids, rogues, and theres a priest class too, and the Necromancer is added in the newest expansion.

Great thing is that you can vary a bit.. Each different race/class combination gives different gameplay.
    Aside from giving a few unique units (which may look different and vary slightly based on race) you also get stuff that improves regular units. Dreadnaughts can research something that gives all cavalry a pistol attack for example, and druids get something to boost archers.

It is also a very recent title, and while the graphics may not be the most amazing since its a small studio, they do look quite beautifull and shows great variation.

Might be a bit late, but thought you might enjoy something like Dungeons 2.

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.