Thread: ToTW 237: The Lost Tales - Winner!

Default ToTW 237: The Lost Tales - Winner!

<< Picture of the Week | Unedited Screenshot of the Week | Graphics Competition | Tale of the Week >>

The Lost Tales

As writers, we love old tales and sagas, stories lost to the sands of time. We unearth these stories, dust them off, give them a new cover and breathe new life into them. These lost tales were the subject of ToTW 237. This time we had three submissions, one from Mhaedros, Lortano and Darken. Three went in but who would emerge victorious.

Mhaedros was the chosen one, winning with a whopping total votes of 1. Yes perhaps the highest amount of voters ever participated in this Tale of the Week. But nonetheless, it cannot be said that Mhaedros' tales was not worthy, for his story of a drunken, old captain amidst the brothels and taverns and a young man looking for adventure was well written and captivating. The old captain, once an adventurer is now old and grumpy but will young spirit prevail in getting him to spill his secrets? Only reading it will help you find out.

The submission thread is found here and the voting thread is found here.

Spoiler for Winning Submission
    In the lower quarters of the city, more specifically the Harbour District, there is always entertainment, for those who know where to look. If looking for wine, there are plenty of inns and taverns with reputations ranging from “likely to get stabbed” to “will definitely get stabbed”. If rather what you desire lies between the sheets, there are more than enough disreputable establishments that might help you come to ease.

However, for some wine and women does not suffice. Some people, like young James, are looking for something rather more..exciting.

It was dark and raining when James after hours of searching found what he was looking for. In a small little corner of Peacock Street was a little inn, barely large enough for it’s few regulars. It was quiet even before James entered, but somehow his presence seemed to create the complete lack of noise. The bearded old men who frequented the pub slowly turned their lifeless eyes towards the figure in the door, but soon moved them back to their pints.

All with the exception of one.

In a dark corner sat a captain so old even the official documentation of the haven masters had forgotten him. If someone asked what his name was, he would simply answer ‘Gimme a pound and I’ll tell you.’ Of course they barely did, and even if they did he refused to tell them more. But James knew the secret of this forgotten old man.

‘I know you.’ said James triumphantly. ‘I have sought you out old man, for I intend to pick up where you left off.’

The man burst out laughing, a laugh that turned into a cough as his lifelong smoking reminded him of its presence. ‘You know not what you say child.’ he said after he was done coughing. ‘My time is long gone as is any trace of my adventure.’

‘But I have heard of your saga, old one! I have studied the old maps and charts, and I know how to find what it is you sought, if only you could enlighten me!’

‘You do not know how many young men and women have sought me out and said those words! “Enlighten us” they bid me, and ever have I said no! Do you know why?’

‘I am not like them!’

‘Oh, but you are! Enlightenment is a double edged sword, my young friend.’

The two sat silent for a while, both stubborn to the core. But then the old one broke the silence. ‘Alright, I will enlighten you, as I have before. And every time I have, it has been the loss of someone else. For I did find what I sought. And now I know.’

Silent they sat again, looking at each other. ‘You do not look enlightened to me, only old and alone! What kind of enlightenment is that?’

‘The only truth that exists my boy. For we all grow old, and sooner rather than later we are all alone.’

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: ToTW 237: The Lost Tales - Winner!

Thanks for all the support, a truly great turnout Nontheless I am thankful for Darkan's vote (we should all rep him in the spirit of keeping TOTW alive)
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Congratz Mhaedros. Rep to both you and Darkan.

You should just tell people you got 100% of the vote.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Senator

Mhaedros wins with a North Korean style margin I see. Still, well done Mhaedros, but beware, I have something particularly cunning planned for this current TotW