Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEWS] WIP Preview Thread

Default Re: [PREVIEWS] WIP Preview Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eliasandersson View Post
    Nice! Iv'e longed to see the overhauled Huns. Isn't it hard to do research about how they looked what they wore? I can't seem to find much info there.

Otherwise splendid, can't wait to see more!
    It's a hell of a lot of speculation to be sure. Thankfully nomadic fashions tended towards a conservatism of change. I think Marcellinius or another ancient author does describe their dress, which if I recall right was described as short sleeves tunics of undyed wool (cannot depict as I do not have a long-armed Hun/Nomad skin to use) worn beneath long skirted kaftans, and that during winter they'd wear two fur coats (one with fur towards the skin, one with fur towards the outside). So in terms of dress I went with the usual nomadic kaftans - fur trimmed, or fur coated, or without any fur trim, in various natural hues and shades.

With armor it's even more speculation as except for two helmet finds in the region when the Huns were dominant (one of which I think was a looted Roman deir-el medina style helmet) and a reference or two to gilded armor we dunno what the deal is. In the interest of more appealing gameplay and aesthetics (unless one wished to play Huns who were 90-95% unarmored) I looked to the Avars to some extent for ideas and inspirations - hence the more asiatic style of armor. I don't think it's a stretch because - the Avars arrive a century later (and I doubt the East Asian/Central Asian influence on the western steppes was unknown until they came) and this type of lamellar is already known to the West (the Frankish/Alamanni lamellar finds, the Langobardi 6th century plate). And I'd say that this lamellar style is even less "East Asian" and more "Central Asian" as it seems a clear evolution from the earlier Central Asian panoply (the ones you see on EB/DEI era Saka).
    Last edited by Ahiga; August 19, 2015 at 09:24 AM.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus183 View Post
    I've started working on a side project/FotE addon that will eventually, once finished, be a part of the main FotE pack.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Can you guess what it is? Probably.

Wonderful work!! May I ask if you plan to Change the Ostrogoth unit roster up a bit to support a more robust mix of Roman/Goth equipment? I find it odd that there was so few of it in vanilla TLR. What with the capture of roman factories/armories, absorption of roman culture and structure. I always imagined them looking like a uniformed mix of both factions with later style equipment.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

Yeah that's definitely the plan. Expect a solid mix between our new german and roman stuff on most of their units.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus183 View Post
    Yeah that's definitely the plan. Expect a solid mix between our new german and roman stuff on most of their units.

you sir get some rep!! Thank you so much now I cant wait for the TLR update.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    It's a hell of a lot of speculation to be sure. Thankfully nomadic fashions tended towards a conservatism of change. I think Marcellinius or another ancient author does describe their dress, which if I recall right was described as short sleeves tunics of undyed wool (cannot depict as I do not have a long-armed Hun/Nomad skin to use) worn beneath long skirted kaftans, and that during winter they'd wear two fur coats (one with fur towards the skin, one with fur towards the outside). So in terms of dress I went with the usual nomadic kaftans - fur trimmed, or fur coated, or without any fur trim, in various natural hues and shades.

With armor it's even more speculation as except for two helmet finds in the region when the Huns were dominant (one of which I think was a looted Roman deir-el medina style helmet) and a reference or two to gilded armor we dunno what the deal is. In the interest of more appealing gameplay and aesthetics (unless one wished to play Huns who were 90-95% unarmored) I looked to the Avars to some extent for ideas and inspirations - hence the more asiatic style of armor. I don't think it's a stretch because - the Avars arrive a century later (and I doubt the East Asian/Central Asian influence on the western steppes was unknown until they came) and this type of lamellar is already known to the West (the Frankish/Alamanni lamellar finds, the Langobardi 6th century plate). And I'd say that this lamellar style is even less "East Asian" and more "Central Asian" as it seems a clear evolution from the earlier Central Asian panoply (the ones you see on EB/DEI era Saka).
    Ahhh I see. And I have every faith in you people, just do whatever you feel is the best. It will probably always looks splendid.

Another question though. About a subject that might be even more tricky. What kind of "facial appearance" are you going for with the huns? A mix of appearances to portray the multi-ethnic society they probably were, with the nobles being of more "west asian" or "turkic" appearance? This is just me drawing wild conclusions here, but I am curious what your plans are.

On the Hunnic Empire itself I know and agree with the assertion of it being a multi-national empire. It wasn't just Asiatic Turkic/Mongolic people but Sarmatians, Germans, proto-Slavs, Roman renegades/Ex-Romans, indigenous steppe or East European folks. On the Huns themselves I know there's some question as to if they were Turkic/Mongolic or even Iranian speaking, or then if those who identified as "Proper huns" (nomadic horsemen) would have been entirely Turkic/mongolic and so on. My assessment simply divides their roster roughly 50-50 into Germans/Sarmatians/maybe Slavs, and "Huns" who are kept as Asiatic Huns/Onoghurs/Sabirs/Kutigurs/ect. Naturally the Huns predominate in the cavalry, the Germans in the infantry and melee spear/shield cavalry, the Sarmatians in lancers and some cavalry. There'll still be outliers - Hunnic spearmen to represent the Sabir heavy foot, and so forth.

So for an example you'll have a Sarmatian horse archer unit and a Hunnic Horse Archer unit. The former will be caucasian and lower quality (the Sarmatians never have their skill with the bow sung praise about) but cheaper and maybe a bit more numerous. The Hunnic unit will be Asiatic but higher quality (as not only is their bow-skill well lauded but apparently they were willing to close to close quarters and fight in melee, too).
    Last edited by Ahiga; August 19, 2015 at 02:10 PM.

This sounds very promising! Thanks for your answers.

Me I have a question please.
    Do you have any plan to make in the future an overhaul of the Basque faction roster in TLR for the final mod, thanks for your time and keep up this amazing work
    "romanes eunt domus"

I don't own Last Roman and won't until it's on sale. Maximus is doing the work on Last Roman so he can answer it, but I planned on doing some basque/gascon units in the far future when I tackle Auxiliaries.

#ThroatSingingByDre

Ohhh laaawwddd, they look good!

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Wow those Huns look amazing.
    Last edited by Black9; August 30, 2015 at 07:47 AM.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Nice done, these Huns.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Gorgeous work as ever. Really looking forward to playing the Huns again once this update's out!

I know this thread is mostly concerned with the unit previews, but I figure since you are working on the huns that this is worth bringing up. I have played as the huns once pr twice, but I noticed that none (well maybe just very few) hunnic units have the cantabrian circle ability. What are the odds that you guys might give the new units this ability, as I was under the impression that this was one of the ways the huns fought anyways.

Edit: also, does anyone know how to tint more than one of the color slots on an item in the TWEAK Variant Editor?
    Last edited by robtim92; September 16, 2015 at 05:04 PM.

So any possible updates on the huns? Y'all close to releasing them? You guys got kinda quiet there for awhile though I am assuming that is because of school and such

I don't know how many of us are studying but yeah we've got busy lives right now. In a week or so I'll have some previews coming of some Hunnic generals. I'll need to start thinking about what to do with Attila himself too. I want to try and make him stand out a bit without looking ridiculous.

Initial draft of Axumite Spearmen. Names aren't determined yet. Gives a general feel for the look of a unit corresponding to the overall tier. Tier 1 are Sudanese/Nubian and more irregular Abyssinian tribesmen (and comparable to Germanic Freemen in terms of cost/quality), Tier 2 are Abyssinians and comparable to Germanic retainers in quality, Tier 3 are either the usual retainers of courtly nobility or possibly something approaching a standing army if that's what the "Sarawit" was. Since the screenshot was taken I've increased the number of quilted long sleeve armor, have some without helmet (the Black horsemen on the 6th century Egyptian woodcarving have long skirt + short sleeve mail and scale hauberks yet no helmet) and some wearing fancy robes without armor. Tier 4 will be entirely armored with scale/mail and possibly fancy quilted armor. Possibility I'll restrict T4 swordsmen to being pagan (with a unique horsemen unit yet to be discussed being the unique Christian unit) for gameplay purposes. End goal is to maintain the lighter than Romano/German/Persian (at least in cavalry for the latter) average theme for the Axumites and Arabs but to grant them a bit more armor than they had beforehand, at least for Axum.

Very good work guys!