Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

*sheds single tear* Amazing work

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [PREVIEWS] WIP Preview Thread

Saxons, I presume?

Man, they look great. I'm definitely considering a Saxon campaign now!

Quote Originally Posted by spartanbits View Post
    *sheds single tear* Amazing work
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    Saxons, I presume?

Man, they look great. I'm definitely considering a Saxon campaign now!
    Correct, I'm glad you like it.

Saxons .......................................................................... Franks

Progress is continuing at a steady clip and I can say we'll have it "soon". In lieu of any new graphical work there are the new Germanic unit cards done in Char's style by myself, though when Char can give them more thorough and better treatment he'll be able to replace mine. Like with Char's great work on the Romans the goal is to depict an easy way of recognizing unit type and quality with the same animation/pose for the same unit, and 'generally' a way of recognizing quality - Sarmatian retainer spears wear leathery armor and no crest vs iron scale and a crest on the comitatus, bronze on the elite cataphracts vs leather/horn on the regular.

From left to right:

Sarmatian 'retainer' spearmen, Sarmatian "Comitatus" Spearmen, Sarmatian "Retainer" Swordsmen, Sarmatian Horse Archers, Sarmatian Nobles/Retainers, Sarmatian Cataphract Archers, Sarmatian Royal Cataphracts/Clibanarii Archers, Sarmatian Lancers (Tier 1 through 4), Alan/Sarmatian General, Young Wolves, Langobardi Godansmen berserkers, Sarmatian Skirmisher cavalry, Late era Vandalic "Dragoons" tier 1 and 2, East Germanic Freemen Cavalry, East Germanic retainer cavalry, East German Comitatus Horsemen, Visigothic Royal Comitatus Horsemen.

The Dragoons are a tentative concept which we have to test more in gameplay. They are based off Procopius' remarks about how it seemed the entire Vandalic nation in North Africa fought from horseback. The unit is made as a very large (cavalry are 120 on ultra, these guys are 200. They may be dropped down to 160-180) unit of horsemen with almost zero charge and generally poor cavalry skills but good infantry skills. This will allow the player to rightly use them as dragoons, while the AI should hopefully not be hampered by at least having cavalry of sizable volume. And I'll probably make their CDIR 'unit value' (what the AI uses to determine a unit's quality) abysmal to further discourage the AI misuse of it. The concept hinges on guaranteeing they are suitably inferior to proper cavalry on horseback - if they are too strong then it'll allow the player/AI to cheese and just use them instead of actual melee cavalry. If their concept falls apart then I'll just make the standard Vandalic cavalry of the line maybe 20 men larger, or adjust the stats so the Dragoons are even weaker on horseback.
    Last edited by Ahiga; July 26, 2015 at 03:27 AM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I am in awe Vir Illustris, those look brilliant

PS, sorry usual story must spread the REP!

Thanks Gaius.

From left to right: Levy Spears (all), "Scutari" Spears (Late era Ostros), East Freemen Spears, East Retainer Spears, East Comitatus Spears, East Freemen Swords, West Freemen Spears, West Retainer Spears, West Comitatus Spears, Royal Comitauts Spears (currently just given to Visigoth), Seaxmen, West Freemen Swords, West Retainer Swords, West Comitatus Swords, Royal Comitatus Swords (I forget who these belong to. I think Burgundii, though they could be given to all Germans as a foot general-bodyguard unit or something), Alamanni/Suebi Royal Swords. Missing are Frankish Royal Comitatus Swords (Anstrustiones thing), Retainer and Comitatus Swords for East Germans. Obviously other sword-bearing units I'm forgetting like horse hewers/berserkers.
    Last edited by Ahiga; July 27, 2015 at 07:55 AM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great again, and your of course right about Prokopios, but again he was only describing a flying column of Vandali forces, much like that of the Roman's that met them the infantry had no time to engage on either side

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Grand work!

Amazing stuff, as usual. I really like the approach since you can pretty quickly figure out what unit you are dealing with since the warriors featured on the cards face the same way. Cannot wait. This release is going to be serious.

Will there be a unit roster for the last roman campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by romano britones View Post
    Will there be a unit roster for the last roman campaign?
    Pretty sure they don't plan on this anytime soon. This question has been raised before in other threads.

Any chance of seeing those beautiful Sarmations in some screens?

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

Work on the generals continues. I think I've figured out most bugs and sorted it all. Here are some shots of some of the updated FL's.

Beautiful stuff, as always. I particularly like the Frankish and Alan leaders.

EpicFails's emblem mod is great, isn't it?

Sooo any update on the update? Don't want to start a new campaign yet till the Germans finally arrive! I think I asked this before but now that you guys are hopefully nearer to release, what do y'all plan on doing next? Persians and African tribes and kingdoms(please say Axum), Celts, or the Huns? Or gameplay elements?

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Maximus, the Germanic generals look absolutely supreme. Might I make a suggestion? I think the Frankish leader would look great with some heavy Roman mail - the Western Germans were highly influenced by the Romans, after all. The Alan leader looks stunning!

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by lilalex20 View Post
    Sooo any update on the update? Don't want to start a new campaign yet till the Germans finally arrive! I think I asked this before but now that you guys are hopefully nearer to release, what do y'all plan on doing next? Persians and African tribes and kingdoms(please say Axum), Celts, or the Huns? Or gameplay elements?
    It's tantalizingly close. Don't worry. Up next I think is the Huns as far as faction overhauls go. As for the rest, I can't be too specific about what else is going to be worked on, simply because we haven't decided yet.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

You guys do a formidable work on units looks.

The Alan King is incredibly impressive.
    I support the proposition about the Frank King. After all the Frank remained pro- Roman for most of the period.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/453104412485536941/

Is this helmet design period appropriate?
    If it is anyone attempting to make one?

I forget what it's called, but I'm almost 100% sure it was a helmet used mostly by cavalrymen during the late 1st and 2nd century, so not really.