Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEWS] WIP Preview Thread

Default Re: [PREVIEWS] WIP Preview Thread

Bucellarii for the western Roman empire would be good. Lack of Imperial Authority, any magnate has to have a private army of retainers. Mail equipped horse archers, essential.
    Any thoughts FOE team?
    Best of luck

I'm interested in having the Bucellarii later, not sure they will make it in this release. Is there evidence to their use in the Eastern Roman Empire before the 6th century, or is it just in the west?

Gaius: We'll assume for the Persae and parthii clibinarii being under the regular Clibinarii for the ERE. I know there were Palatina Clibinarii vs regular Clibinarii but for now I'm not going to worry about such a distinction, since there may also be such a difference between Dalmatae and Sagittarii which would lead to a bit of a ballooning of too many units.
    Last edited by Ahiga; April 12, 2015 at 04:01 PM.

I'm no expert and I'm sure others are better able to answer the question but I assume this kind of trooper was active near the end and just after the Roman occupation of Britain.I expect the East would have fielded similar units at a similar time. Great units by the way, I think some of the default vanilla textures are sub par. Keep up the good work
    Last edited by char; April 12, 2015 at 04:08 PM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    I'm interested in having the Bucellarii later, not sure they will make it in this release. Is there evidence to their use in the Eastern Roman Empire before the 6th century, or is it just in the west?
    With regards to Buccellarii, I would have to confirm my speculation with evidence, but during this period the command structure in the west that allowed individual power in the hands of generalissimos did not exist in the east.
    The later reference to Belisarius in Procopius description of Ad Decimium says that Belisarius sent forth his " τοις οικειος (δορυφόροι & υπασπισται) " these household troops could essentially be called Buccellarii, though Procopius does not use the term.
    (Procop. 3.19.13)
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; April 13, 2015 at 02:19 AM.

Contarii:

In the future I'd like to get a more Sarmatian Numerus/laeti feel but right now to save time they're reusing Roman assets (not saying they wouldn't have any roman assets in that capacity, but that for instance they might not have the Roman style tunic, or a different sort of scale hauberk). Possibly need to add in some more scale to offset the mail dominance visually.

One thing I'd like to comment on about the high tier Palatina units. In Justinian the first's era, royal guardsmen and palatina units wore golden neck-torques as a sign of their status. Do you guys plan on recreating this torque for the palatina units to seperate them from the normal rank-and-file troops?

I assume the torque is still in Attila (or it's easy to port over to it). Not sure if it would show up or clip too noticably with the whole scale mantles or whatnot, but I'll give it a look.

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

Aaahmazing. Very authentic!

As it will be some time before I can preview them with the updated barding (well, it'd be easy to but I am busy working on the db files so whatever) here are the catafractarii and Clibanarii. Kudos to Maggot for helping me to re-rig the coifs avetis brought in from 1257. In the final release Catafractarii will be a mix of barding, soft barding, and no barding (I don't think the Romans were using half barding at this point, so it'll be all barding or nothing). Clibanarii will be all metal barding, maybe rawhide scale mixed with the metal.

Catafractarii:

Clibanarii:

Before someone asks - having to tinker with shields for them on dismounted mode is something I will do but probably not for this release as it'll add to the delay in getting it finished. Shields strapped to the arm are possible (Avetis did it back in Constantine: ROC and his own mods) and I'm down to do it when I make the late era Bucellarii in a later release (not this one), but I don't know of evidence to point to their use prior to the ending of the 5th century and start of the 6th.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Something about Bucellarii. Apart from being close to high ranking individuals such as Aetius, these troops where not Roman. They where warriors close to the General that hired them to be close to him. They where also his private unit. Later during Justinan period, powerful generals like Belisarius and Narses, employed large units of Bucellarii to expand the army given to them by the Emperor. In Aetius case, which is close to the time period of the mod, his unit of Bucellarii seems to have been composed of Hunnic and Goths. So there would have been a huge diversity of equipment.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Melitensis View Post
    Something about Bucellarii. Apart from being close to high ranking individuals such as Aetius, these troops where not Roman. They where warriors close to the General that hired them to be close to him. They where also his private unit. Later during Justinan period, powerful generals like Belisarius and Narses, employed large units of Bucellarii to expand the army given to them by the Emperor. In Aetius case, which is close to the time period of the mod, his unit of Bucellarii seems to have been composed of Hunnic and Goths. So there would have been a huge diversity of equipment.

Cheers.
    I'd like to reiterate this. Bucellarius were house hold guards, chosen to protect a specific individual or kings hearth/home whatever. They were similiar to that of "Kings Guards" and were employed and waged purely by the individual they protected - not the state.

Cheers.
    I thought Bucellarii contained a mix of people drawn from both inside and outside the empire, and as such Roman's could be found in such units along with other groups depending on availability to the magnate who was raising the household force. I suppose equipment would depend on the patrons wealth, although it is not inconceivable it was a mix of Roman and tribal. Any ideas on the composition of these units armament or would it be varied depending on local circumstances? Also would all these units be considered elite due to there proximity to wealthy individuals and military commanders.
    Any further thought??
    Last edited by char; April 21, 2015 at 03:45 AM.

Looks super nice, I can't wait!
    "Déu és beure bé, menjar fresc i llevar-se a les deu"
    (God is to drink well, to eat fresh and to wake up at ten)
    ------ from the Catalan "Inquisition Trials Archive"

Cèsar de Quart
    Europe 1200 Team Member

Hello All,

Just a sneak preview of the unit cards for FOTE. The aim is for a cleaner looking card that has easily identifiable shield patterns for the infantry.

Hopefully the units will be easier to spot in the battles.

Please bear in mind the cards are WIP.

The game stretches one card over the battle and selection screens ! Hope you like.

Best regards

Char
    Last edited by char; May 04, 2015 at 09:44 AM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yes, I most certainly do like it

Thanks Gaius!!

Great work in here! My favorite are the Catafractarii

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Cheers.
    Half true...Originaly Vucelarii were German bodyguards of Generals, Statemen and Rich people.
    In the west those guys were soldiers on foot (in the moovie about Arthur the german guards of the roman villa fits that consept).
    In the east Vucelarii quicly transformed to horsemen because of the diferent warfare that ast had to deal. But soon enough Bucelarii became some of the 1st "native" units in a german filled army.
    That was essential thanks to bow practices eastern Bucelarii had to adopt to confront Sassanids. Horsemen from the eastern borders had such "training" and soon enough replaced the German troops.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Eh, idk how realistic or not having mixtures of armour in a unit is, but I personally dislike it intensely in mods. The game is an abstraction of warfare and armour, to mix multiple armoured/unarmoured units together into the fairly arbitrary cohorts that the game presents as units is unnecessary, confusing and rather ugly, too. By all means have some cheaper units that are less armoured than their fully formed counterparts, but you're playing as a disembodied ruler of an empire: you should have a clear choice between expending money on unarmoured units or armoured units of varying kinds because we're not just watching a historical re-enactment; we're deciding the fate and organisation of that empire, be it forming large armies of unarmoured rabbles or small forces of heavy infantry. To force upon the player a mixture of armours in a unit is taking away control over what it is they are recruiting.

Just my take on the matter. I get that various formations in history weren't homogeneous groups of equally-equipped soldiers, but in a strategy game that's largely down to the player and the player's situation in simulation of what is available, what he can afford and what he chooses, I personally really don't enjoy having a peculiar mix of soldier quality forced into a unit I'm recruiting.
    Last edited by Friar Chris; May 10, 2015 at 12:32 PM.

Scientia potentia est. Eam bene tege!

One huge plus for this mod is the visual variety of the units to stimulate their quality. the higher tier units are equally equipped