Thread: [Release] Less Chaotic Battles

Default [Release] Less Chaotic Battles

Oh no, another battle overhaul? Well, not really. This mod is essentially vanilla balance with some tweaks to morale and combat pacing. All combat stats (e.g. melee defense, attack etc.) are left untouched. This is just my personal battle preference so don't expect anything more than that.

What to expect:
    More casualties on both sides and longer battles. More opportunities to zoom in and watch the fighting. Less chaotic melee - easier to understand what's happening. Slightly less responsive units in certain circumstances - it will be easier for AI to punish your misplays, e.g. when you get charged from the rear, you might no longer be able to counter-charge at the very last second.

List of changes
    :

1. Cavalry running speed is reduced on average by about 25% (up to 35% for the fastest units).
    2. Charging speed for infantry has been slowed down to only slightly faster than normal running.
    3. Acceleration and deceleration values increased - units now take a few seconds to achieve maximum running speed, as well as to fully stop from running.
    4. Foot units now take more time to turn around when ordered to move in the opposite direction. Stationery foot units can no longer instantly rotate backwards, instead they will take a few seconds to turn about.
    5. Substantial buffs to morale, general's death's penalty is halved. General's aura's radius is doubled. Units will generally fight until sustaining heavy casualties.
    6. Fatigue was slightly buffed to compensate for longer melee engagements, however resting will also take longer. Melee and movement speed penalty from fatigue was slightly lowered due to AI sometimes running its troops for no reason.
    7. Increased melee attack interval - units in melee take longer pauses between each swing, it's easier to perceive what's going on in the tumult. This also contributes to longer battles.
    8. Removed knockback and knockdown animations.
    9. Changed rank depth for cavalry from 5 to 4 and for melee infantry from 8 to 4. This was done to make flanking a bit more difficult.
    10. Movement speed of hiding troops increased to values only slightly lower than walking speed. The slow vanilla speeds were too slow and annoying.
    11. Towers nerfed - reduced range, rate of fire and a bit of damage. They still hit pretty hard but at least there's some breathing room now.
    11. Removed penalties to unit melee attack and melee defense caused by settlement damage because it made things too easy for the player who is more often the one besieging rather than being besieged.
    12. Reduced unit spotting in fog by 33%. And by 15% in rain. Now foggy weather will have a very real impact on your battles. If knowing the enemy's position and maneuvers is important you'll want to avoid fighting in fog at all cost. This issue is alleviated by having a few lighter units, they usually have much greater spotting than e.g. heavy infantry.
    13. Increased the fatigue penalty in snowy weather. Snowstorms will make your soldiers lose stamina more quickly. If you plan to use the mobility of your troops a lot, avoid snow at all cost. If you are defending however you might be able to use that to your advantage. (Does not apply to any winter battle, requires actual precipitation.)

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?k1jme5sj72mu71b

Installation: Place the mod file in "Total War Attila\data" directory and activate it through the Mod manager.
    Last edited by Neige; April 12, 2015 at 09:22 AM.

Default Re: Less Chaotic Battles

A small update to formations and a few additional campaign adjustments.

An update with some new features.

Offtopic with your mod, but you seem like a good person to ask.

Is there any way to change the way flanking works? How lethal flanking is specifically.

I'm not sure. There are keys like "factor_attackdir_flankleft", "factor_attackdir_rear" etc. in kv_rules table and they have numeric values but I haven't tested them yet and don't know their exact function or effect.

Its a good start. Thanks

Removed all the campaign changes, the mod will focus on battles only from now on.

Default Re: [Release] Less Chaotic Battles

can you make it so all animations are no longer the heart attackones?

I don't know why, but your mod seems to cause game crash on load for me =/

Problem seems to have something with the Land Units and Projectiles Values, investigating...

Seems to be a problem with my game, doesn't let me alter any value in any of those tables =/ gotta find out why...

Found the reason. Gotta put a tag name before the table name for both cases, so instead of just "land_units_table", it is now Workdammit_land_units_tables" and Workdammit_projectiles_tables" and it did work

Spoke too soon =.='' it "worked" because the mod turned inactive when changing the name... seems I can't edit at least 3 tables I know of or else the game crashes on start =/ Land units, Projectiles and Build Levels... and I have no idea why...

fixed (y)