Thread: Who do you think is the best barbarian faction and why

Default Who do you think is the best barbarian faction and why

I,m thinking of playing one of the barbarian factions and would like some opinions from people please don,t turn this thread into an argument

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Who do you think is the best barbarian faction and why

Unless you have sheep allergies i can highly recommend the Saka Rauka. They got a very tough start with loads of potential to actually loose the campaign, a beautiful roster and unique reforms.

Mark of Calth's Avatar Tiro

Galatia, because they are surrounded by such different factions to them.

The best barbarian faction is a dead barbarian faction.

Roma invicta!

My co-op buddy swears by playing as the Iceni, however.

He says that he likes their intial roster (like casse champions and the early axe units) as well as having a nice, isolated spot that gives you an early strategic goal (conquest of the british isles).
    Then you can expand to fight either Gauls, Germans, or Iberians in short order.

The Getae have a cool roster and a hard starting position, but they're getting several new units in 1.1, so maybe wait for that - but it's going to be a while (I'm waiting until then to start a Getae campaign). The Nervii are also getting an overhauled roster in 1.1, if you're thinking about them.

Also try the Lugii - they have a somewhat sparse roster (with some unit caps I think for elite units too. I hope we'll remove those eventually), but that just forces you to use more AOR units. Also you'll probably end up fighting horse archers somewhat early in the campaign, and that's always fun when your army is full of levy spears and clubmen.

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

One of the horse archer barbarians preferably royal scythia, for a completely different campaign not like the rest.
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

The Arevaci or Lusitani - the Iberians are heavily armored and have amazing cavalry... They were good enough warriors to make you think that a world conquering empire could have been born somewhere besides Rome!

Saka Rauka. Their Horse Archer Armies coupled with the Hellenic Hoplites they'll get later with an elephant or two thrown in will wipe out multiple armies with extremely minimal losses. Galatia is a ton o'fun though. Nothing quite like seeing Greece convert to Celtic.

I would say Lusitani. They have a good core of medium infantry, elite assault infantry, excellent slingers (as all Iberians do), and some of the best cavalry west of Parthia. They are also the "Epirus" of Iberia: tough, but everyone hates them in the beginning, and they have to take some risks early on or inevitably lose. But, once they conquer their fellow Iberians, the Celts to the north and the Carthaginians to the south are always fun to fight.