Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The predecessor of EU:The Latin Monetary Union

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default The predecessor of EU:The Latin Monetary Union

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Monetary_Union

Established in 1865 and abolished in 1927. It was the first attempt to unify European countries to a common currency but it failed. To be honest i never knew that this thing existed till an hour ago. An interesting experiment. Could Euro follow a similar path?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: The predecessor of EU:The Latin Monetary Union

Half of members on that map is not Latin nation at all, no wonder it failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

That is surprisingly interesting. I"ll read about it now.

But yeah I can't see the Euro surviving.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    That is surprisingly interesting. I"ll read about it now.

But yeah I can't see the Euro surviving.
    Cry some more, please.

@OP
    No, the EU is a new construct kickstarted by the resistance forces of Europe after WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBlast View Post
    Cry some more, please.

@OP
    No, the EU is a new construct kickstarted by the resistance forces of Europe after WW2.
    Honestly the weird thing is, I've got like an emotional attachment to the idea! I think its wonderful to be able to travel and have the same money I think its pretty cool even if I badly miss the peseta and those odd coins with holes in the middle.

Honestly the weird thing is, I've got like an emotional attachment to the idea! I think its wonderful to be able to travel and have the same money I think its pretty cool even if I badly miss the peseta and those odd coins with holes in the middle.
    You know that with or without the Euro the same countries would have the same problems.The Euro only tied their rotten behind to Germany, thus allow Germany to teach them the meaning of "Teutonic fiscal discipline".

We are so well linked by the financiar sector that having different currency changes very little.It was said financiar sector that allowed the shockwave to jump the ocean.EU and USA don`t even have a basic trade agreement let alone a common currency thus invalidating the whole whining about the common currency.

I know that you aleady know this.

You Brits and your emotional attachments, if only you formed such an obsessive attachment with the idea of European unity.
    Last edited by Aikanár; April 02, 2015 at 02:08 PM. Reason: cannot be reasonably discussed

You know that with or without the Euro the same countries would have the same problems.The Euro only tied their rotten behind to Germany, thus allow Germany to teach them the meaning of "Teutonic fiscal discipline".

We are so well linked by the financiar sector that having different currency changes very little.It was said financiar sector that allowed the shockwave to jump the ocean.EU and USA don`t even have a basic trade agreement let alone a common currency thus invalidating the whole whining about the common currency.
    That isn't actually true what it allowed was a bigger lender of last resort. Spanish and Greek firms and governments particularly (though more private with the spanish) would not have had access to the money. Sure we would have had a financial crisis maybe Greece would have been in trouble but not in the same way and the sovereign debt crisis wouldn't have followed the financial crisis.

I know that you aleady know this.

You Brits and your emotional attachments, if only you formed such an obsessive attachment with the idea of European unity.
    I've said many times I could have gotten further behind the Euro if they'd kept it small and kept it stable but then this was never about common sense and what would work but grandstanding by politicians and their giant social dream.
    Last edited by Aikanár; April 02, 2015 at 02:08 PM. Reason: continuity

That isn't actually true what it allowed was a bigger lender of last resort. Spanish and Greek firms and governments particularly (though more private with the spanish) would not have had access to the money. Sure we would have had a financial crisis maybe Greece would have been in trouble but not in the same way and the sovereign debt crisis wouldn't have followed the financial crisis.
    Well you kind of stated a pro for the Euro and the ECB at the start.Well we are talking possibilities here thus we may or may not have a sovereign debt crisis at the end of the day but allow me to doubt that Greece and even Spain would have been better without the Euro.

One thing that should have been learnt, do not overspend, may have been learnt at lest for Spain and Italy if not for Greece.

One thing I`ll give you is that the Euro was rushed.If the monetary union would have been followed by a political union and some underdeveloped countries should have been kept out until they were truely ready.

I've said many times I could have gotten further behind the Euro if they'd kept it small and kept it stable but then this was never about common sense and what would work but grandstanding by politicians and their giant social dream.
    Well it was a compromise between continental political unionism and British nationalism.The economic cooperation deepened while the political reforms lagged behind.

Maybe they rushed it but they neglected the cultural and the political aspect of this grand project.

Cheers.

Thank goodness for the fun being moderated out of our posts god forbid we have a bit of a laugh as we debate!

Well you kind of stated a pro for the Euro and the ECB at the start.Well we are talking possibilities here thus we may or may not have a sovereign debt crisis at the end of the day but allow me to doubt that Greece and even Spain would have been better without the Euro.
    Emotionally yes. I think its a great idea. Everyone working together and all that and people being able to move freely and easily. Grand. But I mean the end game of communism is nice emotionally, doesn't work practically. Greece and Spain were what they were, Spain actually was fiscally very conservative. Greece not so much, politically I am talking. But after the Euro Greece could lend whatever it wanted, Spanish private firms could. Without they might have been a bit crap but they would never have been in trouble and that trouble couldn't have effected global markets because its all nice and contained within a single country.

Did Argentina cause a global catastrophe? No because its an incompetent little country off doing its own thing. God bless em Greece could have been the same. Spain was absolutely not incompetent on the fiscal balance side of things, perhaps they could have controlled their housing sector but am I in the UK really going to cast stone sized aspersions in my country sized glass house? I don't think so.

One thing that should have been learnt, do not overspend, may have been learnt at lest for Spain and Italy if not for Greece.
    As said above, they didn't, never have really except for bailing out banks just lately.

One thing I`ll give you is that the Euro was rushed.If the monetary union would have been followed by a political union and some underdeveloped countries should have been kept out until they were truely ready.

Well it was a compromise between continental political unionism and British nationalism.The economic cooperation deepened while the political reforms lagged behind.

Maybe they rushed it but they neglected the cultural and the political aspect of this grand project.

Cheers.
    Mmmm not sure Britain had anything to do with the speed or pace of the Euro, the project moved ahead and left us behind long ago, we just try to ignore that fact.

Nice find OP. I'll research this for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Half of members on that map is not Latin nation at all, no wonder it failed.
    Gold spoke back then. Not language.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Gold spoke back then. Not language.
    Some "birds" say the current euro also has elements of going back to gold standart in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    Some "birds" say the current euro also has elements of going back to gold standart in practice.
    Possibly. But it seems one of the major difficulties back then was keeping silver as the lesser currency locked in given its constant fluctuations. Nowadays I'd say we're looking at both learning from errors and the issue of dealing with economic problems of countries you let in.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

God damn this bugs me. 6 years of eurocrisis, decade and half of euro single currency and only now I get to know of this? The mass media, even books keep repeating there is no european historical precedance of a breakup to compare? What is this ghostery?

The mass media and everything sold the Euro Single Currency as a "new thing" or without "precedents of breakup". Now this link appears. Is all of this a mere coincidence?

I'm baffled.

It's...not the best comparison because the countries haven't been tied to gold for a long damn time much less using it directly. In fact, the only thing that says its a comparison at all is that they tried something similar. The economic theory, I think, you'll find, is completely different. So in reality, it is a new thing, beyond saying, yes, there will be some rough patches, so be ready for them.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Emotionally yes. I think its a great idea. Everyone working together and all that and people being able to move freely and easily. Grand. But I mean the end game of communism is nice emotionally, doesn't work practically. Greece and Spain were what they were, Spain actually was fiscally very conservative. Greece not so much, politically I am talking. But after the Euro Greece could lend whatever it wanted, Spanish private firms could. Without they might have been a bit crap but they would never have been in trouble and that trouble couldn't have effected global markets because its all nice and contained within a single country.

Did Argentina cause a global catastrophe? No because its an incompetent little country off doing its own thing. God bless em Greece could have been the same. Spain was absolutely not incompetent on the fiscal balance side of things, perhaps they could have controlled their housing sector but am I in the UK really going to cast stone sized aspersions in my country sized glass house? I don't think so.
    Now this is what I call good material for a ECB and EU refrom.

It highlights that some of the EU members weren`t ready for adoption of the common currency.As you underlined having the Euro can expose said countries to some nasty effects if they mismanage the curreny.
    On the other hand the Euro did offer them ample advantages which they put to good use.
    For me this is another pro-argument but also a warning that we must not rush it for some countries especially when it comes to economic realities.

I dare say that Argentina and Greece aren`t comparable to the level of exposure they had to big banks.I don`t think that Greece could have caused a global catastrophe but they sure as hell would have caused a lot more harm then Argentina ever did.

Mmmm not sure Britain had anything to do with the speed or pace of the Euro, the project moved ahead and left us behind long ago, we just try to ignore that fact.
    I hope UK agrees to federalisation project.....eventually.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    It's...not the best comparison because the countries haven't been tied to gold for a long damn time much less using it directly. In fact, the only thing that says its a comparison at all is that they tried something similar. The economic theory, I think, you'll find, is completely different. So in reality, it is a new thing, beyond saying, yes, there will be some rough patches, so be ready for them.
    Oh it's Gaidin again first replier to my posts.

Going by Jens Nordvig, finalist of Wolfson Prize of Economy, the Euro does present the type of patterns and constraints similiar to Gold Standard time, in terms of adjustment policies required. So the "no gold; this time is different" ain't gonna work to fool old uncle fkizz. For the very skeptic, add Reinhart and Rogoff book to the salad mix, with the ironic title "This time is different", you're also free to purchase if you want to check.

Source is chapter 7 of his (Jens Nordvig) book "The Fall of the Euro". You're free to purchase it if you want to check. My version is in Portuguese, so offering a direct translation of said chapter 7 is "Involuntary Gold Standard: Economy of Inflexibility"

Though this already fallen latin monetary union needs more research before any sure conclusion. Seems the dismantling of the attempts at monetary union wasn't as catastrophic as some people hint, as to control with fear. Maybe an eurobreakup is much easier and less tragic than people think.

I hope UK agrees to federalisation project.....eventually.
    Allow me to ask.. where do you find this amount of faith to display worship towards the euro symbol?
    Last edited by fkizz; April 07, 2015 at 10:27 AM.

I believe the consensus is that only the countries in the European north have the discipline required to follow the Euro rules.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    Allow me to ask.. where do you find this amount of faith to display worship towards the euro symbol?
    It`s called reality, you should try it.

It`s called reality, you should try it.
    Less vague answer please? That is too much faith in one suposedly non religious symbol, even by religious people standards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast