Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start-up questions

Icon5 Start-up questions

Hi there,

I've got several questions but couldn't find any answers.

1) In the readme of the download it says "...chose which scripting you want to use. These are specific for every playable nation in game..."

Looking into the campaign folder only gives me cryptic information: episodic1,3 & 5, main 1 & 2. Only folder that I can properly assign to a faction would be "Natives". So which factions resemble which folder? Or did I get something totally wrong and it's actually nothing like that?

2) I read in the submods thread about the Blood and Smoke Mod but there it was being said that it might collidate with those projectile tables. But these posts are now four years old and I'd like to know if there are still incompabilities with this mod in the newest version of ER.

OR (what would be even better) I'd like to request a link to a fully compatible blood-and-gore-DLC-like mod for Empire TW respectively Empire Realism. Is there anything adding at least blood but also smoke effects etc. to ER?

3) Although there's no Mod Manager needed for ER I was browsing through some compatible submods which seem to need it. Would anyone mind explaining to me what that is, where to get it and how it works exactly?

4) I also read in the ER section of the forum that editing something like the "user script" files (can't remember the exact name anymore) would be necessary to make something compatible to something other. Is such an editing also somehow necessary for Empire Realism with any of the apparently working submods shared by JaM here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Empire-realism?

Don't know if I should say "Sorry" for bringing up questions for such an old mod but I guess playing TW games is timeless and in my TW career I just discovered Empire TW for the first time and that's why I'd like to know all that.

Regards,
    Miglanz

Default Re: Start-up questions

question 3) is solved, just found a link to the Mod Manager coincidentally

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Although I'm not JaM, so I cannot answer your questions about Empire Realism, I can answer question 4. There are three ways to activate mods for Empire Total War.

The first way is to make them 'movie' mods using Pack File Manager.

The second way is to include them in a user.empire_script.txt file in this folder: C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/scripts. (This folder is hidden by default, so you might need to search online for how to reveal hidden folders for your computer's operating system). The user script file contains the names of the mods you are using in this format:

mod "no naval wind indicators mod.pack";
    mod "no floating flags in ETW mod (full version).pack";
    mod "Pikeman_animation_MOD.pack"

I'll attach a copy of this user.script file so that you can edit it and use it if you want to. (You can edit it in Notepad. The names of the mods listed in the user script file must match the names of the mods in your C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data folder, otherwise the game will crash).

The third way to activate mods is to use a mod manager.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 29, 2015 at 06:43 AM.

Thanks Alwyn, I appreciate it!

Your description leads me to another question: As I said there seem to be mods that ONLY work with the Mod Manager. But are there also mods that do not work with this manager? Because if the Mod Manager does work with all Mods (even those ones where the Mod Manager isn't specifically needed) it seems to me that using the manager is the universal solution and because of that the most comfortable and easy way to get mods to work.

Okay I can't get that Manager to work so I'll refer to your two other options...the content of the user.empire_script.txt just has to be mod(...) and then the (...) already works?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I could not get the Mod Manager to work either, which is why I use the other methods.

Yes, the content of the user.empire_script.txt file needs to follow the format in my post, above, with the name of each mod inside quotation marks and a semi-colon at the end of each line except for the last line.

Yes I already tried it and it does work indeed but (and that was my own fault) my question is meant a little bit differently. Do all those mods around for ETW work this way? Or are there some mods that need this movie pack thing? I figured that the ModManager does just the same with the user.script file what you described above just without having to change it manually, so I guess there are generally only two ways to make mods work.

And another thing which really confuses me:Is it indeed like this, that with ER there is no change of appearance of the menu etc.? I am asking because I did install it and I see nothing obvious having changed. What is a quick way to check if ER is really installed?

I just don't get it...my user script file says:

mod "Bettertex.pack";mod "ETF.pack";
    mod "patch_general_andy-s_musket_sounds.pack";
    mod "mod_grandcampaigngraphics.pack"
    ETF and grandcampaigngraphics are really working, but Bettertex seems to not work! I read about this mod that it improves the campaign map among other things (takes the textures from NTW). People in the equivalent thread wrote that it really made a visual difference etc. but I see NOTHING! I rechecked three times now, always deleting the Bettertex.pack from the data folder and removing it from the user.script, then running game, then once again putting both in again and running the game once again and I can see NO difference in the campaign map. It was said that it i.e. changed the appearance of the little cities on the map but those (among others) do indeed look the same!

So either I did something very wrong or I am blind, can anyone PLEASE help?

EDIT:

Okay sorry guys, I am not blind but I mixed up the Bettertex one with the grandcampaign, Bettertex apparently just changes the appearance within the Battlemaps. Although it is still hard to recognize I guess it is working nevertheless.

Still the question remains if ER is really working. So what fast indicator is there to control?
    Last edited by Miglanz; March 29, 2015 at 04:59 PM.

Btw there is a space between the first two. I don't know why the quoting here didn't catch that. It looks like:

mod "Bettertex.pack";
    mod "ETF.pack";
    mod "patch_general_andy-s_musket_sounds.pack";
    mod "mod_grandcampaigngraphics.pack"

EDIT: Sorry btw for this many posts but until now I couldn't even edit my own posts, don't know why it suddenly works...

To answer your first question:

In your campaign folder, open Main, then unpack the file of the nation you want to use. Move the scripting file from the unpacked folder into Main.

Oh, and for a quick tell on whether ER is working, check unit stats, and mouse over a unit under your recruit tab, there should be a listed limit as to the amount you can recruit. This unit varies between nations.

Okay thank you very much. What about the other folders (main 2, episodic, etc.) then? They must be copied just 1:1 into the original data folder, mustn't they?

And I can see indeed a limit with the last line saying "you currently have ... of ..." Is that what you mean? Because I am a little confused when you wrote "This UNIT varies between nations". I checked with Prussia and there every unit has such a limitation...
    Last edited by Miglanz; March 30, 2015 at 07:53 AM.

Yeah, that's the line. Aye, I meant the limit varies between nations. I noticed the typo, but I don't see any way to edit my posts.

For the other folders, yea just paste them over the original files.

Thank you very much! And btw I think you can edit your post when you reach 15-25 posts...

Hello,

I have another question:

In the Guide it says "In ER4 there is no running speed" (under Movement and maneuverability).

I myself experienced that Infantery does run but like in slow motion. Is this because of above mentioned lack of running speed?
    And does this eventually mean that pressing the run button with all infantry units is generally obsolete?
    Or are there some units (e.g. heavy infantry) where pressing the run button does make a difference?
    So is there no way to make your soldiers actually run?

IIRC using the run button equals quick march\double time and units only "run" in the mod's scale when charging or routing; that is, when they adopt charge stance as specified in the mod when you tell them to attack (which is pretty short distance in-game anyway). Run toggle is not pointless but in broken terrain or with troops that lack "high" experience it causes massive loss of cohesion (=stamina) very rapidly. It's best used to form up quickly in ambiguous situations or if you need to advance rapidly rather than keep sitting under heavy musketry and artillery fire, depending on the terrain etc.

Speaking of guides, I might as well note the simple FAQ I wrote couple of years ago has few artifacts from ER3 as I was still in sort of transitional period between 3 and 4. Basic suggestions still apply regardless, but the detailed guide by JaM himself has few parts which could do perhaps tiny bit of editing for comprehension.
    Last edited by Mjarr; March 31, 2015 at 06:14 AM.

Thank you very much for your answer Mjarr!

I want to ask another thing that really drives me nuts (actually only the last question drives me nuts)!

1)Why sometimes the melee button is locked and on other occassions the same unit suddenly can melee attack once again? What is the indicator for the melee button being available and unavailable?

2)What results has pressing the melee button WITHOUT putting on bayonets? Do they then just use their muskets as bats?

3)WHY can I plug on bayonets (at least with musketeers) but WHY can't I plug them off again?? Is that really realistic? I thought a bayonet is a temporary instrument of attack and them being unremovable seems rather strange to me....
    Last edited by Miglanz; April 01, 2015 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miglanz View Post
    1)Why sometimes the melee button is locked and on other occassions the same unit suddenly can melee attack once again? What is the indicator for the melee button being available and unavailable
    This one needs more context since as it is, it sounds more like ETW's random issues that pops up once in a while. I have a faint memory if unit is already engaged in melee the toggle button tends to behave weirdly.

2)What results has pressing the melee button WITHOUT putting on bayonets? Do they then just use their muskets as bats?
    Swords and such, though in campaign this is rather impossible situation in most Western factions since they already start with ring bayonet researched.

3)WHY can I plug on bayonets (at least with musketeers) but WHY can't I plug them off again?? Is that really realistic? I thought a bayonet is a temporary instrument of attack and them being unremovable seems rather strange to me....
    In ER campaign since every Western faction starts with ring bayonets researched, this is only issue in custom battles but the issue itself is hardcoded in ETW. No mod can fix it.

As for realism of plug bayonet itself, given that one has to ram a plug bayonet inside the barrel so it doesn't come off easily when it's critical removing one is somewhat tedious process, but it can be done. For some reason, the developers of ETW simply turned that fixing (plug) bayonets cannot be removed. In same vein, although it is somewhat incorrect to assume every corner of Europe had converted to mass use of bayonets by late 17th or early 18th century, since there is no real transitional period possible in the game and plug bayonets have their own issues as well, it is lesser evil of the two IMHO that in ER every Western faction starts with ring bayonets.
    Last edited by Mjarr; April 01, 2015 at 12:22 PM.

Thank you Mjarr, I appreciate it!

There is some other discrepancy that confuses me:

Generally all the unit icons (the ones that appear when you right-click the units) display the units' appearance on the battlefield correctly, but there are at least two units where this is not applicable:
    Prussian Fusilieers wear a tricorne and have golden/yellow parts on their blue and white uniform on their unit icon while they wear this grenadier-like hat and have only blue and white uniforms on the battlefield.
    Prussian Dragoons wear a helmet and aiming with a rifle on their unit card while on the battlefield they wear tricornes and don't look like their icon at all.

Am I the only one with that issue (did I mess my installation up?) or is this on purpose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast