Thread: How to defeat the Loke-Gamp Rim efficiently? Which unit should I take against them?

Icon5 How to defeat the Loke-Gamp Rim efficiently? Which unit should I take against them?

Hi. I am about to play some custom battles via Internet with my friends with Total War: Third Age (patch 3.2).

We get the same amount of gold (we have disabled the increased cost penalty for multiple units of the same type), choose an army and start the battle.

I know that one of my friends loves to play Rhun. We will be picking mostly the Loke-Gamp Rim units (700 florins each).
    I want to play some evil faction (except for the Isengard, which has even better pike-mans anyway).

The problem is, which unit should I put against Loke-Gamp Rim and which evil faction should I choose against them?

So far I've found that:
    • Orcs of Misty Mountains:

1. Heavy Goblin Halberd (580) - cheaper, but they lose with Loke-Gamp Rim,
    2. Cave Trolls (1300) - much more expensive and still they lose dramatically (which was a big surprise for me, as they were able to put down Loke-Flag Rim with ease),
    3. Heavy Goblin Infantry (640) - also lose, even worse then Halberds.

• Mordor:

1. Orc Band (380) - cheaper, but even 2 squads can be masqueraded almost without any causalities on Loke-Gamp Rimside,
    2. Nazgul (1200) - way more expensive, still they lose.

I am looking for some unit that has similar cost (e.g. 500-900 florins) and can handle Loke-Gamp Rim in fight (or be equal with it). Think about an Rhun army that is made in 70% of Loke-Gamp Rim.

I know that ballista, capapults etc. can help, but they won't win the fight. It has to be evil faction (which are usually bad in archers, unfortunately) and not an Isengard.

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: How to defeat the Loke-Gamp Rim efficiently? Which unit should I take against them?

I think you need to use a heavy infantry unit, since cavalry and trolls are weak against the pikes. Running to the flanks or backs would give you an advantage.. Also when you go head on.. don't attack the unit of pikeman.. just run to an area behind them.. your unit will take less casualties this way and you attack when your are in the middle of the enemies line.. instead of infront of the picks. I would fight fire with fire and go for a late heavy infantry Rhun unit if you won't go with the isengard beserkers. Or you should try one of the heavy orc uruk units from Mordor.. Harad/ootmm/oog won't cut it.

Default Re: How to defeat the Loke-Gamp Rim efficiently? Which unit should I take against them?

I see. But you know, it's kind of hard to attack the back or flank of the pikes when almost the whole enemy army consist of those pikes (about 12-15 of 20 units in total are Loke-Gamp Rim). The trolls are indeed bad option, thanks for pointing it.

Hero of the West's Avatar Artifex

Then use the run tactic to get closer to the unit. Or spend big and get a mumakil unit. Then just let it keep on trampelling through his ranks. This way he can't form a line. And you can come in with your infantry

Thank you for the plenty of good ideas And the Mordor heavy infantry is surprisingly good against the pikes I can face my friend now as equals ;P

Be the troll (internet variety)

Fill your army with as many snaga skirmishers as the money will allow and kite those slow ass golden boys around the whole map. Not only will you likely succeed with the strength of the javelins but you will also get to annoy the hell out of your friend which, I find, is more important when playing human v human.

Haha Brilliant Eventually, trolls are good vs pike-mans once again (the internet one, but still..)

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Bring infantry to keep them busy then flank with the trolls. Works every time half the time.

Pikes have really low defense... they defend themselves by "stun locking" infantry at a distance with their rapid attacks.

Take them down with archers, or use 2 units of trash infantry (one in front, one behind) to take away their advantage.

If your friend forms a line of pikes to make flanking difficult... make him chase you around until you break up his formation. If he refuses to chase, pelt him with archers.

For this reason, I think Gundabad is the worst choice to fight pikes due to having the worst archers. Isengard, Mordor, or OotMM have better options. Isengard xbows are wasted against pikes... there is no need for armor piercing and their fire is slower. Mordor archers get stakes and +10 range for slightly more gold compared to Goblin Heavies... so I suggest Mordor.

Grab 3-4 units of Archers, a few units of Uruks and Trolls, and some trash infantry to tank the enemy at low cost.

Option B is to try to position a ballista for enfilading fire (shooting down the ranks from the side), which DESTROYS pikes but would be hard vs human player.
    Last edited by DrDragun; March 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

i would go for 3-4 units of snaga hunters. they are faster and you can just shoot them in the back when ever you can. you can´t match a heavy defense unit with offensive units - except they have bid bonuses.
    Last edited by _Tartaros_; March 30, 2015 at 12:05 PM.