Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many debate posters contribute to the game threads?

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Default How many debate posters contribute to the game threads?

Just something I have been wondering since my account suspention was lifted and took a closer look at the reasons for my infractions to ensure that I never get suspended again - which mainly lead me to the debate section.

It occurs to me that there are people on this forum who never debate what this forum is actualy centerd arround - the tw game series. It seems to me that a large section of people who post in the debate section only post there, never made a single mod for any tw game and might probably not even own a single tw game. People who dont care about the game series, it`s fan community or even the modding community and are only here for the politics section.

Arent there specific politics forums for that purpose arround the web?

I know exactly why I am here. I learned how to make mods for tw games here, this is the only tw forum where criticisms of the game do not get censored, this is where the best modders for tw interact and this is by far probably one of the best organised fan communities that any game has.

Why are you here?

Especialy, why are you here if you havent made a single mod, never posted in the game discussion threads, never asked questions about the game, never attempted to learn modding or never downloaded a mod from the mod section? I am genuinly interested.
    Last edited by Kraut and Tea; March 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM.

trance's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: How many debate posters contribute to the game threads?

Most of us used to be passionate enough about TW, doesn't mean we are now, or that we are exclusively devoted to TW, one doesn't really rule out the other. How do you know that people you interact with haven't intensely discussed the game or mods? . You've been around for 2 years, like 6 years ago I was a regular poster in the TATW mod subforums. Then I lost interest in Total War but not in TWC. It's very easy math.

You have the answer in your own post - fan community. A community is fluid and ever changing, it's not static.

I know exactly why I'm here too, and it isn't about Total War anymore. If Total War Center was exclusively for game discussion, I reckon the site would quickly wither away.

Comes Domesticorum

Yeah trance outlines it pretty well. Most people come for something to do with TW, but a lot of the people eventually move on from it and stay for the community and the fun. Beyond some slight interest in new Total War games before they release, I never post in the game forums.

Thats suck.

I honestly think I wouldnt stay if I lost interest in the game series or stoped modding.

I added most people I want to stay in contact with on steam and elsewhere anyway.

Besides, I think there really are people here who dont own a single tw game and probably never played one either.

Comes Domesticorum

Doesn't bother us.

In fact, I'd say in general I would prefer if the people who only care about the game would stick to posting in the game section.

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post

Arent there specific politics forums for that purpose arround the web?

Haven't found any forums with such a great community and such a broad spectrum on history, politics, sciences in all the years I have been here. I also like that it's global however much one disagrees with each other. I do think the TW games pretty much attract people interested in politics and history.

My problem with the game forums is essentially that I started out with STW1 so I have seen every goddamn whining thread about the AI, about CA and the campaign map for every iteration of the game since probably MTW1. It gets tedious. Real wars on the other hand are fun! :irony

I came mainly for the mods but I stayed for the glorious Americans vs. Europeans threads wars of 2003/2004 about Iraq!

I don't get what you are aiming for. These forums have a huge gaming sections with tons of people but the added bonus is it also has a big section for us old farts to go to and discuss the intricacies of the Roman measurement system. Best of both worlds imo.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

If I happen to be playing the game at a particular point, and look for playing hints in the respective forum, and feel I have something to contribute in return.

Or a glib quip.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

trance's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    Thats suck.

I honestly think I wouldnt stay if I lost interest in the game series or stoped modding.

I added most people I want to stay in contact with on steam and elsewhere anyway.

Besides, I think there really are people here who dont own a single tw game and probably never played one either.
    Lol don't really care.

And how do you think people found this forum to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    Lol don't really care.

And how do you think people found this forum to begin with?
    More importantly those other forums are the reasons to stay when TW games don't interest you anymore.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

While I never lost interest in TW. What keeps me around is the community. I never posted a single thing in the TW sections between Med 2 and Rome II but I was a regular here and in some mod section throughout that time.

True. Few of us actively participate on both sides. I think I'm one of them, but, I can see why one would want to stay for just one part. It might sound trivial but the layout and the theme matters a lot. One important reason why I post less to none in the official game forum is because of black background burning my eyes and I never bothered to change it. DD, on the other hand, provides an engaging environment for discussion. That could be due to having different people with different opinions. Otherwise, it would be a boring place.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    Most of us used to be passionate enough about TW, doesn't mean we are now, or that we are exclusively devoted to TW, one doesn't really rule out the other. How do you know that people you interact with haven't intensely discussed the game or mods? . You've been around for 2 years, like 6 years ago I was a regular poster in the TATW mod subforums. Then I lost interest in Total War but not in TWC. It's very easy math.

You have the answer in your own post - fan community. A community is fluid and ever changing, it's not static.

I know exactly why I'm here too, and it isn't about Total War anymore. If Total War Center was exclusively for game discussion, I reckon the site would quickly wither away.
    This, pretty much this.
    It is what i feel too. It used to be about total war games and its mods, still is in some very minor measure, but it isnt the great apeal today. Instead is no doubt TWC and its comunity.
    I own most of Total war games, since the first shogun. Exception being Atila. And im quite regretfull that i ever bought Rome II. Feel the same way about Empire.
    I dont make plans to buy atila anytime soon. maybe in a few years when it is in promotion.

At anycase for a long time now TWC has been more interesting to me then any Total war game that has come out lately.

Used to be very active in the game section at the time sof Rome 1 and M2TW and its mods, back in the day.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; March 29, 2015 at 01:22 PM.

I dislike the official forum because people often seem to get censored.

I am registered there because I think CA cares less about the feedback it gets from twc.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I registered for mods. Might have had some question about modding. Maybe I had to register to download something. In any case, I never discussed games, what's there to discuss about a game?

But, except few posts in mods forums, I was always here primarily for random non-TW related stuff.
    Has signatures turned off.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

I used to be involved with various mods, even tried to start one. But I got into the political fora not long after as well, and gradually as the TW games became more and more terrible I stopped buying them (I have Shogun and Rome II but the last one I properly played was Med 2. I started out with Shogun 1 btw).

I do also go on other more political forums, but tbh dedicated politics forums are not good places to post, they're generally populated by 70% utter nutcases, and 30% politics students or political party members who follow politics as if it was Game of Thrones (I suppose it is in a way, but less interesting, without the nudity and dragons). Plus most politics forums are either extremely right wing or extremely left wing, so you have basically clone sites of Stormfront or ones populated by eco-feminist SJWs and associated fruit loops.

TWC is quite rare in that it is well-moderated, medium sized, centre to right wing and generally short on the kind of fruitbat mentalists you see elsewhere (there is always one or two on a crusade of some sort in the mudpit I know, but they quickly get banned if they are genuine psychos, and are pretty much never feminists. Give me neo-nazis any day over feminists, at least neo-nazis are mildly entertaining.)
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; April 01, 2015 at 07:30 PM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

I barely get the time to read TWC like i used to & have pretty much moved on unless someone links me some good offsite in my friend circle.
    TW forums are just shite now and i prefer reading official forums, their wiki etc, to make myself aware of the latest TW news. Official forum has improved quite a bit over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    True. Few of us actively participate on both sides.
    People like you are needed in the TW forums to deal with the garbage that lies there.

Honestly, i think the more older i get, less and less patience i do have for Total war games.
    Last time i played Rome 2, i just alt-f4 right in the begining of a Battle, because i couldnt make myself to go trough all the shore. Also the battles became so big, and so fast, that it feels more work to keep up, then joy to play it.
    I realy hate the fast pace battles of Rome 2 there is no time to react at anything, things are so fast, that when you are awere of the problem, you are already too late. Meh.

I do think or the games became very boring to play, or i just outgrew them, and i dont find them compeling as i used to 10 years ago. I do think Medieval 2 Total War was the last Great Total War game to play, at least for me. Shogun 2 is also fun but that is all that is.

Give me neo-nazis any day over feminists, at least neo-nazis are mildly entertaining
    Strange i have the exact oposite reaction... I do not find neo-nazis entertaining or funny at all ( the oposite actualy), radical feminists on the other hand, there is nothing they arent if not funny or entertaining at very least.
    Then again, im not center right, and i do not look kindly to Christian Democrat parties generaly speaking ( european context).
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 07, 2015 at 05:58 AM.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Strange i have the exact oposite reaction... I do not find neo-nazis entertaining or funny at all ( the oposite actualy), radical feminists on the other hand, there is nothing they arent if not funny or entertaining at very least.
    Then again, im not center right, and i do not look kindly to Christian Democrat parties generaly speaking ( european context).
    I'm talking specifically about the kind of Neo-Nazis you get on TWC, who espouse the complex and epic conspiracy theories about how Jews and Muslims and Communists are controlling the world.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    I'm talking specifically about the kind of Neo-Nazis you get on TWC, who espouse the complex and epic conspiracy theories about how Jews and Muslims and Communists are controlling the world.
    Well some are Trolls, others are well as you said.

I still play the games almost daily. Mainly Shogun 2 and Napoleon Total War. Simply not much to add about them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast