Thread: 1450 Campaign - requesting critiques of my attempt at an accurate map

Default 1450 Campaign - requesting critiques of my attempt at an accurate map

I'm trying to make a mod for 1450. I'm drawing somewhat from JaM's campaign in SS6.2 however that leaves eastern factions unchanged from the late era (The Timurids should be around at this point while the Khwarezmians should not, for example). I've done a bit of research and have drawn up the following map and I'd really appreciate any comments about mistakes. If regions are wrong I'd really appreciate a source saying the correct owner at this time

A few comments:
    Scandinavia - the colours originally used for Denmark and Norway are now the Kalmar Union and Sweden, respectively.
    Russia - the colours originally used for Kiev now represent the Grand Duchy of Moscow.
    Cyprus and Rhodes are held by the Crusaders.
    Crete and Athens are held by the Venetians.

Edit: Although not in the map above, Wales is now held by the English.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: 1450 Campaign - requesting critiques of my attempt at an accurate map

I apologize for the silly paint job quality but I am in a rush

Well, here are the corrections;

It will be kinda hard since many faction swaps need to be done for that timeline though.
    For starters I would advise not to dwell to much on the faction and just focus on the buildings and tech.

Default Re: 1450 Campaign - requesting critiques of my attempt at an accurate map

Few thoughts

1. In 1450 Norway, Denmark and Sweden were still in the Kalmar Union. Those two factions should be united as one. Sweden left the union in 1520, not sure how that would be represented
    2. England controlled Wales in 1450
    3. Aragon should have Sardinia
    4. Poland-Lithuania were united, and held Ukraine

Can't think of anything else for now - Golden Horde had fractured by then, but not really enough factions to represent all of them

Marius Marich:
    As Swarbs mentions, the Golden Horde had indeed fractured significantly but due to limitations of both time and modding ability I do not intend to create wholly new factions and it seems more accurate to maintain them as one faction than turn them all rebel. I also agree the Moors were not so united as the game implies, but to strip them of territories seems as if it would weaken them too much. I agree with most of your other changes, apart from Trebizond - as I understand it the Empire of Trebizond was independent at this time?

Swarbs:
    1 - From what I can tell the Swedes were not particularly happy with the Kalmar Union at this time, but they were technically within it. I'm not sure how I'll deal with that; perhaps with one large faction in the north, but initially weak armies in Sweden and some unrest - possibly some rebel armies.
    2,3 - agreed.
    4. Agreed (They do have Kiev in the map above, but should perhaps have some more lands further East). Poland and Lithuania were indeed united; I may deal with that by merging them or perhaps maintaining two factions, but starting with an alliance, military access etc between them. Edit - possibly even Lithuania as a vassal of Poland.
    Last edited by Me, Myself and I; March 27, 2015 at 05:42 PM.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Well...I did my changes in quite a hurry, probably should have not done that
    (I actually uploaded the the wrong picture, I made more changes but failed to save apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by Me, Myself and I View Post
    Marius Marich:
    As Swarbs mentions, the Golden Horde had indeed fractured significantly but due to limitations of both time and modding ability I do not intend to create wholly new factions and it seems more accurate to maintain them as one faction than turn them all rebel.
    Yes, the areas I took away from them are the various khanates that emerged from the weakening of the Golden Horde(which still contined to exist further east).
    Having them in your state would make them to powerful early on, this way they have a task of reconquering those lost territories in the early stages.

I also agree the Moors were not so united as the game implies, but to strip them of territories seems as if it would weaken them too much.
    True.

I agree with most of your other changes, apart from Trebizond - as I understand it the Empire of Trebizond was independent at this time?
    Whelp, I just had a whim to give ze Romans a fighting chance

Swarbs:
    1 - From what I can tell the Swedes were not particularly happy with the Kalmar Union at this time, but they were technically within it. I'm not sure how I'll deal with that; perhaps with one large faction in the north, but initially weak armies in Sweden and some unrest - possibly some rebel armies.
    Yes, 1 strong faction in the north while opening up a slot for another faction somewhere else where factions are needed

Quote Originally Posted by Swarbs View Post
    4. Poland-Lithuania were united,
    No, they weren't.

4. Agreed (They do have Kiev in the map above, but should perhaps have some more lands further East). Poland and Lithuania were indeed united; I may deal with that by merging them or perhaps maintaining two factions, but starting with an alliance, military access etc between them. Edit - possibly even Lithuania as a vassal of Poland.
    Merely in a vague political/royal personal union, the union of the states you are thinking about came much, much later.
    An alliance would be far more accurate than a single merged faction.

You can also simply replace Ukraine/Kiev with Muscovy, a simple banner/color change will suffice for starters.
    Last edited by +Marius+; March 27, 2015 at 08:47 PM.

Too many regions in the East and not enough in the West? Italy, for example.

Serbia? Wallachia? Moldova?

Take a look at Tsardoms' map, it might help, even though it's from 100 years earlier.