Thread: The big town wealth bug Fixed! Patch mod

Icon3 The big town wealth bug Fixed! Patch mod

This mod fixes a glaring bug in town wealth increases, and is really something that should have been in a patch from CA to begin with. Simply put, in the stock game, in a region with ports, a town can never increase in wealth beyond the poorest port. This mod fixes that, so that towns grow equally well in regions with and without ports. That's all it does, the rest of the game is unchanged. It doesn't change the coding behind the increases, just makes it work properly. Think of it as a much needed patch, rather than a mod. Using it, ports and towns both grow in wealth. In my game, every town (and port) in England has increased to wealthy, despite starting with a very poor port.

List of Features: Ports increase in wealth, and towns can increase in wealth in regions with ports.

Installation: The same as any other mod, it's pretty much as basic as possible.

Compatibility - haven't tried it with any other mods, but I would assume it would be compatible with many of them, since it only changes one table, which I assume wouldn't be touched by most mods.

What it does to an existing game: When I installed the mod for the first time, all 4 ports in England increased from Very Poor to Poor in one turn. It worked normally after that. Presumably when installed, all pent-up existed town wealth increase is used immediately, so there's no lost buildup.

Changelog:

Version 1.0 - release.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/app9ichbmc...xing.pack?dl=0

Much indebted to poa, who in this thread discovered what the fix was. I just made it into a mod and posted it. He should get more credit than I do.

Default Re: The big town wealth bug Fixed! Patch mod

Apparently there's a catch I didn't notice until I started a new campaign. Ports now also grow in wealth, and the wealth generated by a port depends on how wealthy it is. This only applies to ports built after the mod is installed, I think.The bad news is that apparently all ports in vanilla default to Wealthy, so port wealth for a Very Poor port (most of them, including most fishing ports) is halved. I think I'll make a separate mod that increases port wealth by 50%, as a separate mod so you can decide if you want it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post
    wealth generated by a port depends on how wealthy it is ... this only applies to ports built after the mod is installed ... all ports in vanilla default to Wealthy, so port wealth for a Very Poor port ... is halved
    Hey Barsel, could you please tell explain what you ment by that? The fix is only effects ports which are spawned after it is applied? Also didn't get it about ports being wealthy by default in vanilla - I thought in vanilla they have different wealth which doesn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by MAG View Post
    Hey Barsel, could you please tell explain what you ment by that? The fix is only effects ports which are spawned after it is applied? Also didn't get it about ports being wealthy by default in vanilla - I thought in vanilla they have different wealth which doesn't change.
    First, it applies to all ports, not just ones built after the mod is installed. Second, the town wealth indicated by a port doesn't change in vanilla, but apparently the actual wealth (in terms of taxable value) is actually what a wealthy port is using this mod. So a wealthy port will stay the same value after installing this mod, but a very poor port will only provide half as much revenue. I made another mod to help balance that, which I have since forgotten if I have actually posted here, but I don't think I did. Basically what it did was increase the actual wealth value generated by a port, I think by around 50% at the bottom, with diminishing returns at the top. So a typical Very Poor fishing port will be worth closer to what it was before, but the wealthy global trading company at Greenwich was worth something like 200 (or something similar) more. I should post that.

(Enough to put England past the 30,000 wealth level, a level of wealth growth not possible without this mod. (Lots of enlightenment techs + very good finance minister (106 town wealth growth a turn with taxes on normal!) (also had another very good one before him) + 2 wealthy steam engine factories + 2 wealthy steam bowered textile mills + pretty much every industrial tech + wealthy global trading company + wealthy commercial basin + 2 wealthy fishing ports + 2000 or so town wealth.)

And (finally) a companion mod is out which increases port GDP in order to compensate for the decrease in GDP of any non-wealthy port. Get it here.