Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [M2TW AAR] Forging an Empire - A Sicilian Grand Campaign AAR

Default [M2TW AAR] Forging an Empire - A Sicilian Grand Campaign AAR

+ About this AAR
    I thought about doing a GC AAR for a while when I was playing R:TW, but I could never really seem to get into it. With M2:TW my interest has been sparked anew, and so I thought I would give it a go. This AAR is not based slavishly on historical accuracy nor on "realism", so no complaining about that please. I will be dividing the AAR into parts spanning 10 - 20 years, and everyone is welcome to offer suggestions and advice as to what should be done next.

+ Settings
    • Campaign Difficulty: Hard
    • Battle Difficulty: Hard
    • Manage all Settlements: Off
    • No time limit on Battles: Off
    • Years per turn: One

+ A note
    This AAR will be heavy on graphical material, so if any of you are 56k'ers still, you might want to watch out

Part I to follow shortly...

Default Re: Forging an Empire - A Sicilian Grand Campaign AAR

State of the Realm

The Kingdom of Sicily consists of two major settlements. Naples, a large town on the Italian peninsula, and Palermo, a castle on the island of Sicily.

The Kingdom of Sicily is ruled by Roger I. Roger is a man occupied with holding on to his Kingdom. Internal strife has decimated the Sicilian economy, and Roger is currently running a deficit. His primary concern is building a stable economy to fuel the Kingdoms further development and expansion. After years of internal battles, political and violent, roger seeks to distance himself from active warfare and has thus left most military matters to his son, Simon.

Aiding the royal family in their quest for glory is His Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council. Simon serves as Lord Marshal on the Privy Council, effectively granting him complete control of the army. Niccolo, the Bishop of Palermo, serves as His Majesty's religious advisor and as ambassador to the Papacy. Papero serves as Spymaster and is tasked with the protection of the King and his kin, as well as other matters of subterfuge. Lastly Rino serves as Admiral of the Navy, and is primarily tasked with transportation of the army and with combating piracy in the Mediterranean.

Other characters of interest are General Alberto, Simon's right hand man. Alberto has some unfortunate problems with loyalty, and this has been brought to the Kings attention. The plan is to have Roger's daughter, Princess Matilda, betrothed to Alberto and married within five to six years.

1080 - 1100

The army of Sicily is at present nothing much to speak of. Consisting of nothing but a few mounted sergeants, militia spearmen and some Muslim archers, it is in no position to undertake offensive manoeuvres, let alone stand up to any serious invasion force. This has to be changed, and Simon is tasked with building a capable army on the island of Sicily. Exploration is a priority of Admiral Rino's. Piracy is at this point not a serious problem, and the navy can be spared for other tasks. A group of ships is dispatched to the east towards Greece, and one towards the west. At Sardinia the navy finds Cagliari under the rule of a minor power. Simon takes an interest, and seems to have found a target for his coming army.

Roger is keen to foster better relations with the Pope. To this end he sends Matilda to Rome to secure a trade agreement, and Niccolo is sent to Sicily to convert the Muslim population there. Roger also raises the taxes in Naples in order to secure funds for the coming offensive on Sardinia and Corsica.

Prince Simon takes over direct command of the Army, and appoints Alberto as Governor General of Palermo. The Western Fleet continues north along Sardinia and sends delegations to Ajaccio and Genoa. The Eastern Fleet continues along the Greek coastline and makes contact with the rebel settlement of Durazzo, and the Byzantine settlement of Corinth. The Western Fleet is ordered back to Sicily to prepare for the transportation of Simon's army.

Matilda is successful in her task, and a trade agreement with The Papal States is signed. The economy show signs of growth. Matilda continues further north to secure trade rights with Milan. Niccolo continues his work and shows progress. Most commendable.
    In 1082 a son is born to Roger. He is to be named Beca.

More spearmen from Palermo are assigned to Simon's command. The Western Fleet nears Sicily, and the Eastern Fleet sails towards Crete. The western fleet soon arrives in Palermo, and prepares for transport. The eastern fleet arrives at Crete to find Iraklion under Venetian control. Simon's army boards the fleet and sets sail for Corsica.

Matilda comes across Bologna on her way to Milan. Bologna is under the control of the Holy Roman Emperor Heinrich. Matilda seeks an audience and secures trade rights for Sicily. She continues towards Milanese territory. Matilda shall be married soon, and so a replacement diplomat is commissioned in Naples.

Simon lands in Sardinia and lays siege to Cagliari. He is unsure whether to attack or starve the enemy into submission. The fleet reaches Rhodes to the east, Tunis to the south.

The new diplomat is sent towards Venice. Matilda arrives just outside Genoa, and secures trade with Milan. Palermo is growing, and the castle needs to be expanded. The economy can however not endure expansion at this time, although it is showing profit for the first time in years. Also, Matilda's betrothal to Alberto is formally announced.

Simon attempts to storm Cagliari. It's his 433 men against the enemy's 182.

The Battle of Cagliari

Simon prepares to end the siege, and sends forth the battering ram and siege towers...

The ram reaches the gate without any serious losses.

Disaster strikes as one of the siege towers is set alight. Spearmen move climb another part of the wall and dispose of the responsible archers.

Simon's troops are at the walls.

The archers are beaten back, and the gate is crushed. Simons orders his cavalry to charge through the gate, sending the peasant enemy troops into a retreat.

Simons continues the cavalry drive through the town square, incurring heavy losses among his cavalry.

Following up on the cavalry charge, Simon orders his infantry into the fray.

The fighting is fierce, but ultimately looks like it's in Simon's favor.

As the cavalry turn around to deliver a charge at the back of the enemy, the opposing commander is slain and his forces rout.

Simon has achieved victory, but has lost a significant part of his cavalry. At least 15 noble knights lay dead on the battlefield. If he is to continue on to Ajaccio, he may need reinforcements from Palermo. As it turns out, casualties are not as bad as expected, but looking to set an example Simon orders the slaughter of the local population. Such shall be the fate of all who dare oppose the Kingdom.

The rebuilding of Cagliari soon begins, and it shall from now on serve as a civilian settlement. Roger decides to invest more funds in improving the economy, and recruits a merchant in Naples.

Simon leaves Cagliari to prepare his coming attack on Ajaccio, and leaves a small contingent of spearmen to keep the peace. He orders the governor to start improving the local economy.

The other members of the Privy Council persuades Simon that for now Tunis is a better target than Ajaccio. Taking the region will please the clergy, and the work on converting the mainly Muslim population to Christianity will gain Niccolo much prestige in the eyes of the Pope. The Western Fleet sets sail for Cagliari to pick up Simon's army. The economic benefits of taking Tunis will enable Roger to expand the castle at Palermo, and improve the financial district in Naples. Roger is however worried that the Milanese will decide to take Ajaccio, and reluctantly decides to muster a small army to lay siege to the settlement. The island of Cyprus is reached, and is under Byzantine control. Soon after contact with Antioch, Adana, and Acre is made.

Simon arrives at Tunis and begins the siege. Niccolo sets sail for Tunis as well. Roger recruits more spearmen in Naples. Simon sends word that his scouts have sighted a Moorish army near Tunis. They remain neutral, but Simon prepares for combat. The amber trade in Sicily opens, and trade with Venice beings. This will greatly help to further support a future wartime economy. Niccolo arrives near Tunis and sets up his first mission on, for now, foreign soil.

Alberto and Matilda marries, but the happy occasion is quickly overshadowed by grave events. The Giant of the North, The "Holy" Roman Empire, has declared war, and Roger can only conclude that Emperor Heinrich marches on Naples from Bologna. The port is already under blockade. Alberto must now prepare for war with the greatest military power in Europe. The Sicilian infantry is not good enough to fend off an assault on Naples, and with that in mind Alberto starts recruiting cavalry in Palermo. He must face Heinrich in open battle, or Naples will be lost.

Roger himself has arrived with his small army in Corsica, and lays siege to Ajaccio. A small bright spot in dark times, the settlement is still under the control of a minor power and can be taken with a minimum of fuss. The Eastern Fleet sets sail towards the Italian peninsula to lift the blockade of Naples, and hopefully blockade Bologna.

Tunis surrenders, and Simon sacks the castle, gaining him 843 florins. The Privy Council raises a further 2500 florins as reward for taking Tunis, and the money is quickly allocated to enlarging Alberto's army. The Holy Father is also most pleased by our work in Tunis, and donates 500 florins to our cause. Things are definitely beginning to look brighter. Now Roger hopes for direct action by the Holy Father. Papero the Spymaster is sent to Bologna to report on the enemy's progress.

Alberto sets out from Palermo, hoping to recruit a unit of mercenary infantry along the way. The Privy Council has offered 500 florins in exchange for making contact with the Spanish. A diplomat is sent, and hopefully trade relations can be established. Papero still has not sighted Heinrich's army. Perhaps it has not even left Bologna? Ajaccio falls, and is sacked. Simon will have military control over Palermo and Ajaccio, while the other settlements will focus on the economy.

Papero discovers Heinrich hiding behind the walls in Bologna, his "army" consisting almost solely of militiamen. Alberto is confident that he can take the settlement with a few mercenary troops. Roger agrees, and Alberto lands near Florence and marches on Bologna. The economy is strained to the limit to support the war effort.

Papero can hardly believe it, but Heinrich has been excommunicated. The army in Bologna has left the city and marches north, but Heinrich has stayed behind. Now is the time to strike! The King's representatives in Iberia have established trade with Portugal and Spain, earning the Kingdom a bonus of 1000 florins. Perhaps the war can truly be won! But alas, the Moors have declared war, and a two front war is now a reality. We must move quickly.

Bologna is attacked, and Papero manages to open the city gates. Alberto wins the battle, slaughtering the army of Heinrich, and slaying the heathen Emperor himself. Peace with the new Emperor is now a priority. An alliance with Hungary is sealed by the marriage of Simon to a Hungarian princess. Hopefully this will put further pressure on the Emperor. The sacking of Bologna nets the tidy sum of 10.000 florins, more than enough to sustain the war economy for an extended time.

Roger sails from Ajaccio towards Tunis to meet the Muslim threat...

TO BE CONTINUED
    Last edited by monoxism; November 15, 2006 at 02:43 AM.

Really nice AAR. The only suggestion I'd make is to not say you "discovered" new places since, historically, you'd have known they were there (more or less). Perhaps, "a delegation (or our fleet) has now reached so-and-so place". Just a minor point however.

_TheChevalier_'s Avatar Centenarius

Nice AAR, good writing , I've a suggestion, you should put your campaign map, it would really be nice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Do not breathe, neither look or listen, DO NOT EXIST!!!"

Campidoctor

Very nice, looking forward to more. Ah, love myself a good AAR. Also, if you wouldn't mind yourself, turning off the green arrow markers around the units would be infininitely more pleasing to the eye for your readers.

-edit-
    Oo, and bigger screenshots would be awesome .
    Last edited by Dooz; November 15, 2006 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks for the comments guys!

@Ivniciix: Very nice idea. I'll change it in Part I and stick to that in the future.

@_TheChevalier_: I will post my campaign map at the start of each part, next time a biiiiig one

@Wonderland: Yeah, I know, and I did just that right after the battle. Seeing the infantry all huddled together was an horrible explosion of green. I'll do some bigger screenshots for Part II...

rawghi's Avatar Decanus

Great AAR monoxism!

In each update could you post a map of your empire at the begining.
    Now, there is nothing you can do, but become, a freak!!!!
    - Freako The Clown

Quote Originally Posted by Kroz
    In each update could you post a map of your empire at the begining.
    I will

Next part will probably be Friday. I just bought a MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo, so I have to finish drooling and moving all my files before I continue playing...

Nice clear writing, an interesting story, and excellent use of pictures.

Two thumbs up.

Henricus Rex's Avatar Libertus

Very nice. I really like the layout and your writing style is very enjoyable. Plus its great to see some well told stories about a Sicilian campaign, they're second on my list and I'm really looking forward to them. It looks like they're very interesting this time around even more so than the first Medieval. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment .
    "Oh God, but I do love being king!" -Henry II, The Lion in Winter

State of the Realm

The Kingdom of Sicily consists of six major settlements. Naples, Palermo, Bologna, Ajaccio, Cagliari, and Tunis.

The political situation in Sicily is at a status quo. No major changes have been made in the Royal family, nor in the Privy Council.

1100 - 1116

Things are going reasonably well for Roger and his Kingdom. The economy is blooming and the Kingdom is fast becoming fat with gold. However, a state of war still exists between The Holy Roman Empire and Sicily. Also, a war has broken out with the Moors in the south. At present an army is on it's way to Tunis to engage the Moorish armies no doubt heading there. Peace with the HRE is the immediate priority. Sicily has no territorial ambitions beyond the Alps at this point. Expansion will happen at the cost of the Moors and whatever smaller independent states might exist on the coast of North Africa...

The Emperor has approached Alberto with an offer af a ceasefire, and Alberto has accepted on behalf of King Roger. As Alberto settles in at Bologna, his rest is fast disturbed by news that an Inquisitor is on his way. No doubt Alberto is the target, and Alberto is anything but pious. He must travel south to Palermo to escape the witchhunter.

After the war on the Holy Roman Empire, relations with the Pope are in tatters. An emmisary must be sent to the Holy Father to offer a suitable gift. Perhaps then he can forgive us our sins. King Roger and his small army lands in North Africa, near Algiers, and the navy moves to blockade the port. Roger is hoping for reinforcements from Palermo via Tunis, but nothing is sure. He will have to fight hard to conquer Algiers if his troop strength does not soon increase.

As Roger enters Moorish territory en envoy appears offering a ceasefire. Roger does not see why he should accept a ceasefire in a conflict that has yet to see battle, and certainly not when he seems to have the upper hand. He gives the order to blockade the port of Algiers. Heathen blood shall soon flow.

An army of Venice has entered our territory. This act of aggression does not bode well, and Alberto yet again prepares for armed conflict.

Roger's reinforcements arrives in North Africa, and just in the nick of time. He faces a small Moorish army. He will not commit his forces to battle if it is not necessary, and waits to see if they will attack.

Whoever said "Money doesn't buy everything" never met Roger. A "small" donation to the Holy Church ensures the Pope's willingness to listen to the benefactor, and Roger is quick to make due. With ease Pope Gregory is talked into a Crusade against Algiers. Taking the settlement will be no problem for Roger and his men, and the prestige from doing so will be immense. For God, Roger marches on Algiers.

Outside Algiers Roger is hit by a stray arrow from a Muslim archer, and dies from his wound. Seeking revenge his men assault the settlement slaughtering everyone in sight. Sicily now governs the heap of rubble known as Algiers.

The Kingdom is now ruled by Simon I, by the Grace of God King of Sicily. Roger having been the only participant in Crusade, the Pope sees no solution but to call of the crusade. All that glory is out of Simon's grasp. Perhaps Simon shall live to see a second crusade...

Simon is in Tunis, and wants revenge for the death of his father. He begins to assemble a massive army to take the Moorish settlement of Marrakesh. The Moorish presence in North Africa shall cease to exist if Simon's gets his will.

Simon's forces arrive at Tunis, and he assumes command. He marches to Algiers to take command of the remains of his fathers army, and from there, on to Marrakesh. Plans are made for Simon's son and heir, Dauferi, to march south from Tunis to Tripoli. North Africa looks like it will soon be in Sicilian hands.

Venice has declared war, but Alberto was well prepared. Venice is already under siege, and Alberto is preparing plans for attacking the walls. Once Venice falls, only Milan stands in the way of total domination in Italy.

After a year of siege, Venice is assaulted and sacked. The coffers overflow with Venetian gold. Simon is nearing Algiers, and Dauferi starts his march on Tripoli.

A Venetian army led by the Doge's heir lays siege to Venice, effectively sealing his fate. Venice is an easily defensible position, and as relief forces arrive from Bologna, the Venetian army is boxed in between Alberto and the newcomers. The Venetian army is mercilessly slaughtered, and their commander executed. The fields run red with Venetian and Sicilian blood, but thankfully mostly Venetian. The two battles have taken their toll on Alberto's army, and he must replenish his forces. His role will be purely defensive for years to come.

Simon arrives at Algiers and joins the armies there. He has assembled a formidable force, and with Gods help he should be able to take Marrakesh.

The Holy Roman Empire declares war again. Simon finds that Emperors sure do seem to get excommunicated a lot.

Milan and France are at war. At least the Milanese will be kept occupied, but France will become a problem in the future. Simon sets the sacking of Paris as one of his goals, should hostilities erupt.

The Venetian Doge is excommunicated. How unfortunate for him.

A army of the HRE has crossed the Alps near Venice. Alberto is not sure if he can hold the city with this current army, so a relief force is being assembled in Bologna. Perhaps the same trap can be sprung on the besiegers as before?

Simon enters Moorish territory again, and fights a few minor skirmishes. Dauferi lays siege to Tripoli. Beca has finished his training, and is ready to command an army at Palermo. Hungary has declared war on the HRE. Good news in abundance.

Simon lays siege to Marrakesh, Dauferi takes control of Tripoli, and Alberto makes peace with the HRE. Fighting Sicily and Hungary at the same time was apparently too big a mouthful for the Emperor.

Simon has assaulted Marrakesh and taken the city. A massive slaughter begins. Roger shall be duly avenged. Faced with the wrath of Simon, the Moorish leader wavers and offers peace. Almost all of North Africa is under Sicilian control now, and Simon accepts. He does not wish to carry the war onto the Iberian peninsula at this time.

Now only Venice and Milan remains to be dealt with...

Febeo's Avatar Libertus

Very nice indeed, keep on writing!

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

Excellent ARR Monoxism ! Im Hoping for updates.

LeoZ's Avatar Civis

Wooow!

AWESOME!

turtle's Avatar Ordinarius

Very interesting reading. Makes me wish I had the game even more now.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -Socrates
    "To see things in the seed, that is genius" -Lao Tzu
    "What one sees is never the one truth." -Turtle Freeman
    "Self-indulgant betrayal will raise cold walls difficult to scale." -Turtle Freeman
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Kongzi

_TheChevalier_'s Avatar Centenarius

Nice writing, keep the good work
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Do not breathe, neither look or listen, DO NOT EXIST!!!"

Ieuano's Avatar Decanus

good stuff mate, keep it up

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you like it! Part III coming tonight!

Props this good stuff.

Love the Honourable Privy Council, and the 'serving of the Catholic Faith', keep it up.

Looking forward to some real painful wars in the future, just to see how it impacts the familly mind you. Wish no ill will on King Simon and his subjects.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast