Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Eldeguzids - Preview (video)

Default The Eldeguzids - Preview (video)

Eldeguzids

Broken Crescent 2.4 preview

The Atabegs of Azerbaijan rose from the ashes of the vast Seljuk Empire in the beginning of the twelfth century. The atabeg (literally father lord in Turkish) was the title of guardians appointed for minor princes of the Seljukid line who were nominally placed in charge of provincial garrisons. Atabegs, usually Turkic slave-officers, were officially tutors and vice-regents to their princes, but in the political circumstances of the time, they were the actual rulers. There were several such states (Atabegs of Azerbaijan (Ildegizids), Atabegs of Mosul (Zingids), Atabegs of Fars (Salghurids), Atabegs of Kerman (Kutlug-Hashs) Atabegs of Luristan (Hazaraspids) etc…) ruled by former slaves of Seljukian Sultans (Mamluks). Those became actual power in the provinces they governed, Sultans had only a nominal power, their names were on the state coins, and in the Friday pray’s.
    In 1136, Sultan Masud od Hamadan (1134–1152) appointed Shams ad-Din Eldeniz (c. 1135/36-1175) to be an atabeg of Arslan-shah, his step-son and juvenile successor, transferring Azerbaijan to his possession as iqta, land in lieu of payment. Eldegiz chose Barda as his residence, from where he set about extending his power, founding the Atabeg state in what is now Azerbaijan. Under the Atabegs, Azerbaijan became a significant cultural center of the Turkic people. The Atabeg State fell in 1225 when it was added to the Great Mongol Empire created by Genghis Khan.

Shams ad-Din Ildaniz (Eldaniz)
    Shams al-Din is a Muslim name, meaning "Sun of the faith" .Shams ad-Din Ildaniz was a capable general and administrator and theoretically consolidating and extending the power of his prince, he subdued a spacious territory between the Caucasus and the Persian Gulf. The word “Azam” (Azam stands for Great) was added to his title, a tile which all of the State’s subsequent rulers would use. His strongest foe was Georgia, whose army was strengthened by 40,000 Kipchak Turkic warriors. In 1138 the Georgian king Demetre I, attacked the ancient city of Ganja. While leaving the city his troops carried off the well-known iron gate of Ganja as their trophy, which is now on display in the city of Gori. From 1161 onwards, the Georgians made plundering raids on Ani, Dvin, Ganja, Nakhchivan and other regions controlled by the Atabeg. Eldaniz formed a union with other Seljukids in the beginning of 1160s to fight against the Georgians, and in 1163 the allies inflicted a defeat on king George III of Georgia. In response to this defeat, the king of Georgia occupied Ganja in 1165. Georgians took several Azerbaijani cities and reached such faraway cities as Nakhchivan and Beylakan. Usually, the Georgians demanded tribute then left once this had been paid. In 1173, Atabeg Shams ad-Din Ildeniz began a major campaign against Georgia but was defeated. His troops retreated. Shams ad-Din Ildeniz died in 1174 in Nakhchivan. He and his wife were buried in a religious school (madrasa) they had built in Hamadan, the Seljuk capital.
    Vizirs of Eldaniz were: Mukhtaraddin, Sadaddin Asad Al Ashal, Shihabaddin Makhmud.

Muhammad Jahan Pahlavan

After Shams ad-Din Eldeniz death, the Seljuk prince, Arslan Shah, tried to assert his own authority and replace the new Atabeg, Shams ad-Din's son, Grand Atabeg Mohammed Jahan Pahlavan (1174-1186) but failed, and was poisoned to death. Pahlavan transferred his capital from Nakhchivan to Hamadan in western Iran, and made his younger brother, Qizil Arslan Othman (1186-1191), the ruler of Azerbaijan. In 1174, Qizil Arslan captured Tabriz, which subsequently became his capital.
    Jahan Pahlavan suppressed all rebellious emirs and appointed faithful mamluks (slaves) to key positions. He awarded each of them a region or town as iqta. The Twelve years of Pahlavan's rule are considered the most peaceful period of the State’s existence. Under his reign the central power was strengthened and no foreign enemy invaded Atabeg territory. Friendly relations with Khorezmshakhs, the rulers of Central Asia, were forged. All this had positive influence on the development of science, handicraft, trade, and arts.
    Qizil Arslan

After Pahlavan’s death his brother Qizil Arslan (1186-1191) ascended the throne. He waged a successful struggle against the Seljuk rulers. However, the authority of the Atabeg was also weakening as the regional mamluks strengthened their own power in their areas. Shirvanshakh Akhsitan, who used to be Atabeks’ vassal, decided to benefit from the weakening of the Atabek’s power and invaded his territories in 1186. He was defeated, however and his troops had to flee pursued by Atabeg’s army. They reached Baku. Qizil Arslan occupied all the land of Shirvan lying between Shamakha and Derbent and in 1191 overthrew Togrul III, the last Seljuk ruler of Hamadan. Then, after obtaining the Abbasid caliph's permission, Qizil Arslan was proclaimed as Sultan only to be assassinated later the same year. Power was divided among his three sons: Abu Bakr, Qutluq Inandj and Amir Amiran. Abu Bakr governed Azerbaijan and Arran; his brothers ruled Khorasan and several neighboring regions. Soon, these three successors began to fight each other for the throne. Abu Bakr won but in the process the State’s defense capability was compromised. Khorezmshakhs’ and Georgians’ non-stopping forays aggravated the situation, speeding up its decay.
    Uzbek and End of the state

Abu Bakr was succeeded by Atabek Uzbek (1210-1225) against whose rule Hassan Djalal Mikhranid (1215-1262) began separatist activities. This further shook the already weakened State, which invited another invasion from Georgia, this time from the troops of the queen Tamara, which occupied several Azerbaijani towns before returning to Georgia. Uzbek's vizier, Abu’l-Qāsem Hārūn "was a well-known patron of learning in Tabrīz." Uzbek, who had married a daughter of Sultan Togrul, was faced by the Mongol invaders, initially buying them off. He finally fled and died as the Mongols swept through and annexed Azerbaijan. From 1225 the Atabeg state was incorporated into the Great Mongol Empire created by Genghis Khan.

Culture
    Literature flourished in the Atabeg state and was patronized by the rulers. Among poets of distinction were Khanum Mehseti Ganjavi, Khagani Shirvani and Nizami Ganjavi. Mehseti is renowned for refusing to wear a veil; Nizami's famous works include an ode to Alexander the Great and the work of epic poetry, the Storehouse of Mysteries, which contains moral and religious maxims. He is remembered as one of the earliest romantic poets in Persian. The themes of toleration and benevolence characterize his work, which also explores the inner struggle between our best and worst selves. He dedicated several poems to the Atabegs but preferred to maintain artistic autonomy by declining royal patronage. The Silk Road passed through the Atabeg State, making trade in handicrafts a major source of revenue.
    Last edited by Byzantineboy; March 28, 2015 at 04:57 AM.

Default Re: Eldeguzids - video preview

is that a new faction?

The eldeguzids of Azerbaidjan.

Yes it is a new faction.

Wooowwww! Great!!!!!!

Note: Respect the old and new Daylamite infantry units that I have seen in this video, they have the shieldwall ability? Because I read in some sources that seems they use this type of style of combat. Even in one ocassion they were capable to fight hand to hand in a shieldwall battle with an army of viking rus raiders that attacked Azerbaijan and some iranian sentlements along the caspian sea coast.
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; March 22, 2015 at 04:25 PM.

kepper's Avatar Artifex

Great news, thanks you for the video. I bite dark but I can wait for BC 2.4

Hetman Khmelnytsky's Avatar Senator

Is it me or will there be new units? Will there be a preview thread in a day or two?

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

This looks good!

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The Eldeguzids - Preview (video)

Looks great, I have not yet tried Broken Crescent but I am sure I will give the next version definately a try

Dr. Jones's Avatar Tiro

My favourite Mod is alive and improving Great Preview!

Yeri var. ("Cool" in Azerbaijani language)

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

By the gods, this mod just keeps getting better and better! Awesome work!
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Bernardius's Avatar Decanus
    SACRUM IMPERIUM ROMANUM NATIONES GERMANICAE

Great to hear, looking forward to release real soon!!! ;-)
    EB II is finally out! ...NOW!!!...

The video is quite laggy, the soldiers are jerking around all over the place. Are the team making use of graphics mods in the new release? The video seems to have shading and other features which make the mod look more atmospheric than a vanilla fight. Also gl to the team, BC will always be one of my favourite tw mods

hi guys.pls tell me name of new factions at 2.4
    i know 1.yemen 2.eldeguzids 3.kara khitai 4.al bahrayn

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by zaleot07 View Post
    hi guys.pls tell me name of new factions at 2.4
    i know 1.yemen 2.eldeguzids 3.kara khitai 4.al bahrayn
    5. Zengides 6. Vladimir Suzdal (If Alejandro can collect informations on them quick enough. I am also not sure if there is even enough place for them on the map, as version 2.4 will make use of the 2.3 one) 7. Maybe Bavanides 8. Overhauled Makuria
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; April 01, 2015 at 04:27 PM.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Who are the Bavanides ?
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Deutscher Kaiser View Post
    Who are the Bavanides ?
    Small typing mistake, meant "Bavandids".
    The Bavand dynasty (also spelled Bavend), or simply the Bavandids, was an Iranian dynasty that ruled in parts of Tabaristan (Mazandaran) in what is now northern Iran from 651 until 1349, alternating between outright independence and submission as vassals to more powerful regional rulers.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Seems like an exciting faction and the units are beautifully done.

Concerns: I agree with what others have said that this is too dark. I trust that's just the creator's settings + GEM or some other external shader tweaking? It's way too dark and too stylized (not realistic) for my tastes. I would be concerned about the fairly intense lag, but I suspect that is a result of the user's machine and this aforementioned shader tweaking, rather than texture issues with the mod (but it is still a concern after EBII launched with resource heavy textures). I have a relatively powerful i7 with a good card, but I cannot run it lag-free in high definition, even though it's an antique game. I suspect some of this is at work here?

Bit of a red flag with the sound. The music is great as usual, but the sound fx are harsh, they even appear to be lagging badly during bow firing -- if that's not the video maker's machine or an effect of the video itself, it's something that needs to be addressed directly by the mod, because frankly the FX sound terrible here. They're somehow muddy yet tinny at the same time. I had to turn this down to cope with it.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    I have a relatively powerful i7 with a good card, but I cannot run it lag-free in high definition, even though it's an antique game. I suspect some of this is at work here?
    Modern cpu's tend to be multicore. IIRC MIITW and Rome are not able to use more than one core, and might not be able to use your cpu to its fullest.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's a long time ago that I heard about this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast