Thread: Good F2P MMOs?

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Good F2P MMOs?

Preferably without Pay to Win elements.

Pazu the Kitsune's Avatar Shopkeeper

Default Re: Good F2P MMOs?

Well, I will list some of the big MMOs nowadays with my opinions on them:

Star Wars the Old Republic:

Free to play and not really pay to win, most of what you pay real money for is cosmetics, mounts, 'housing' stuff etc etc, you have to pay for additional XP boosters but you really dont need them, this is a good MMO

World of Warcraft:

Been around since the internet cavemen, gigantic world and youd never run out of stuff to do, though its still technically pay to play, the community is meh, and the cartoony graphics bother alot of people (like me) who are spoiled by Skyrim style graphics (lol)

RIFT:

A bit like a F2P World of Warcraft with some unique elements, still an acquired taste

Archeage:

Made by Trion (who also makes RIFT) Archeage is a Korean sandbox RPG, really cool but again asian RPGs arent for everyone and once you reach max level it can quickly become rather repetitive unless youre good at giving yourself stuff to do

Lord of the Rings Online:

Free to Play, not particularly pay to win, still really popular, possibly has the best setting and lore of any fantasy MMO out there, at a certain level though (50?) you need to be a subscriber to advance, so i guess its 'pay to win' in that sense

Elder Scrolls Online:

Now free to play, i dont know if its 'pay to win', still has alot of bugs but the setting is that of the Elder Scrolls which instantly makes it a good game lore wise

---

Finally, this is one im really looking forward to:

Phantasy Star Online 2:

Call me a 'weeaboo' or whatever you want but i grew up with a Sega Dreamcast and remember fondly spending hours playing the original Phantasy Star Online, the North American release of Phantasy Star Online 2 is something ive been looking forward to for a long time, the japanese make good games IMO and the website looks hella sexy http://www.pso2.com/us/

I hope this helps you a little bit at least ^^

"If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,"

-First lines to the poem "If-" (by Rudyard Kipling)

I would recommend TERA and SWTOR. SWTOR is good when you first play it, it's only really free to play for the class story from level 1-50, you have to be a subscriber to pretty much do anything else. The stories are pretty nice though, and there are 8 of them (however, free to play only get 2 character slots).

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

TERA isn't bad, although I never got to endgame - heard it wasn't up to much though. Didn't like TOR, since it was just an SP game; plus heard it's endgame was poor as well. Aion is f2p now; played it for 2 years when it was p2p - probably my favourite mmo back then. Now the community is kind of rotten, but still a decent game, although way past its glory days. PSO2 is okay, but kind of samey - you can get an English patch for the JP version though and it has a decent English speaking community. Rift is pretty lame and I wouldn't recommend that. SRO isn't that great and I didn't enjoy LaTale either. EVE is kind of half f2p these days with in-game money, but it's a very acquired taste. Man there are so many more I've played, but I'm losing my memory

The only mmo I play these days (since SMTI went offline - a pay to win game is there ever was one...) is AirRivals, which is fun, although definitely in decline. Wouldn't say its pay to win by a long shot, but a bit of money will help you get into endgame and skip some tedious farming, even if the level grind has been made very new-player friendly. I'm also currently downloading Longjian, a Chinese mmo, but I guess that's not really going to be up anyone's street.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; March 21, 2015 at 09:10 AM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    I would recommend TERA and SWTOR. SWTOR is good when you first play it, it's only really free to play for the class story from level 1-50, you have to be a subscriber to pretty much do anything else. The stories are pretty nice though, and there are 8 of them (however, free to play only get 2 character slots).
    Can you delete characters?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    Can you delete characters?
    in SWTOR? Yeah, you can delete and remake or go on a different server and make new characters to experience all stories if free to play wanted. Same with TERA actually, if I remember correctly they only had 2 character slots a server too for free.

Edelfred's Avatar Semisalis

The small difference with The Elder Scrolls Online they are not free to play - You have to pay for the game itself not subscription .
    More then for The Guild Wars 2 , which is a super good game indeed .
    SWTOR and Rift you can dL and play free . Oh yes and Age of Conan too ,which is kind of nostalgic,given that it might have an year or two left to play into .
    Har du inte levt mitt liv
    Vet du ingenting
    Laglöst Land