Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCM 2 for Kingdoms

Artifex

Default Re: RCM 2 for Kingdoms

Thanks for the links, but the graphics part has already been taken care of - by extracting everything useful from Stainless Steel. Too bad they don't have native american models (Zacatecas looked different than Guachichil or Apaches), but you can't have everything. At least the European units look amazing with their highly detailed models and textures.

Currently, I can't do much as I have to wait for the final version of RC2 which Point Blank has promised to deliver. When he finally releases his new RC2, work can start.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

You should finish up your project now and release it. You have enough (assets, information etc.) to finish it and your definition of the final version of RC2 is going to differ from Point Blank's anyway, so you decide how things are. Plus you could be waiting a really long time for Point Blank to release the final version of RC2 as he is very busy these days, heck there is a chance it never gets released. You should release now and treat RC2 as if it will never be released (in the case it never actually is, you have done enough to achieve your project goals). If RC2 is released later then you can come back later and make an update based on the new changes.

Artifex

As I'm already using the latest beta version of RC2, I could give it a try. In that case, I need to think about a new rosters for the Americas campaign.

Spain:
    Well-trained and disciplined conquistador units (I'll also add halberdirs and crossbowmen, but rodeleros were most numerous)

France:
    I know they had well-trained and well-equipped, but very undisciplined knights as well as acceptable infantry. I've also heard they had advanced artillery.

England:
    Bad mounted units, acceptable dismounted units (were often put together with the archers to increase their bravery when the enemy came closer), mediocre infantry, well-trained longbowmen.

Chichimecas:
    The Zacatecas were excellent archers and the Guachichil fearsome raiders. They probably didn't utilize tight formations, so they should be quite fast.

Apaches:
    I presume they didn't fight in tight formations, so they should be disorderly, but also faster.

Aztecs, Mayans etc.:
    No changes planned besides improved unit stats.

Is that correct? My primary source is Hans Delbrück's "The History of the Art of War".
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Yes, they sound like accurate descriptions. Americas Campaign is kind of simple as it is just advanced technological/professional Europeans vs. numerous/brave Native Americans.

Try to make each faction have at least one infantry/cavalry/missile option while having elites/militia as well.

Artifex

Let's start with the new Spanish roster:
    Conquistador Guarda de Corps - exceptional - light lance, rapier & buckler - 3q plate
    Conquistador Alabardero - superior - halberd - 3q plate
    Conquistador Arcabucero - superior - arquebuse, rapier - half plate
    Conquistador Ballestero - superior - crossbow, rapier - half plate
    Conquistador Piquero - superior - pike - 3q plate
    Conquistador Rodelero - superior - rapier & buckler - 3q plate
    Conquistador Caballería - elite - light lance, rapier & buckler - 3q plate
    Conquistador Caballería Descabalgar - elite - rapier & buckler - 3q plate
    Milicia Alabardero - militia - halberd - breastplate
    Milicia Arcabucero - militia - arquebuse, rapier - breastplate
    Milicia Ballestero - militia - crossbow - breastplate
    Milicia Piquero - militia - pike - breastplate
    Milicia Rodelero - militia - rapier & buckler - breastplate
    Artillery

How common were mounted arquebusiers in the new world?
    The amount of militia units is overkill. Which ones were most likely used in the New World?
    Last edited by Destin Faroda; April 09, 2016 at 12:50 PM.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

The Spanish had horses with them when they went to the new world but not enough to mount all their men. They would have been limited to small contingents of cavalry (with even less using arquebusiers on horseback) performing mainly raiding duties. However for the sake of the mod adding mounted arquebusiers rounds out the Spanish roster, represents something used historically and keeps something used in vanilla Kingdoms.

Yes there are too many militia units. The Spanish took with them crossbows and arquebusiers to the new world and crossbows were more favoured/used than arquebusiers because there was a shortage of gunpowder available. There were more crossbows than arquebusiers so arquebusiers should be limited to regular (not militia) units.

Artifex

These two rosters were quite tough to come up with. Comments/advice are appreciated.

French roster:
    Garde du corps - elite - light lance, rapier & buckler - 3q plate
    Arbalétrier - average - crossbow, rapier - half plate
    Arquebusier - average - arquebuse, rapier - half plate
    Hallebardier - average - halberd - 3q plate
    Piquier - average - pike - 3q plate
    Voulgier - average - voulge - 3q plate
    Cuirassier - superior - light lance, rapier - 3q plate
    Cuirassier descendre de cheval - superior - rapier - 3q plate
    Milice d'Arbalétrier - militia - crossbow, rapier - breastplate
    Milice d'Hallebardier- militia - halberd - breastplate
    Milice de Piquier- militia - pike - breastplate
    Artillery (Artillery overcame the British longbowmen if I remember that correctly)

English roster:
    Bodyguards - elite - light lance, rapier & buckler - 3q plate
    Arquebusiers - average - arquebuse, rapier - half plate
    Longbowmen - superior - longbow, archer's club - half plate
    Billmen - average - bill - 3q plate
    Pikemen - average - pike - 3q plate
    Cuirassiers - average - light lance, rapier & buckler - 3q plate
    Dismounted Cuirassiers - average - rapier & buckler - 3q plate
    Longbow Militia - militia - longbow, archer's club - breastplate
    Pike Militia - militia - pike - breastplate
    Bill Militia - militia - bill - breastplate
    Artillery

They will have slightly higher heat values than the Spanish as both factions are not accustomed to the Mesoamerican climate.
    I'm ignoring peasants as they rarely fought on the battlefield and were no match for properly-equipped and well-trained warriors.
    Last edited by Destin Faroda; April 12, 2016 at 05:48 PM.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

No halberdiers for the English?

All European factions made use of swords just not to the extent and training of the Spanish.

If you want an idea of how Real Combat should apply to the Native Americans, the early versions of Real Combat (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1620) for vanilla M2TW included the Aztecs up until the later versions of Real Combat for Stainless Steel (which of course excluded any Native American factions/races). With all Mesoamerican factions being the same as the Aztecs and Stainless Steel covering all the European factions that just leaves the North Native American factions to be applied to Real Combat.

I like the idea of new rosters/units (in fact they are starting to look like Stainless Steel rosters) but why not just use the vanilla Kingdoms Americas Campaign rosters/units as the primary goal of the project is just to inject Real Combat (the latest) mechanics and stats into the vanilla Kingdoms Campaigns. Or is the project more along the lines of Stainless Steel for the vanilla Kingdoms Campaigns.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by pak88 View Post
    I like the idea of new rosters/units (in fact they are starting to look like Stainless Steel rosters) but why not just use the vanilla Kingdoms Americas Campaign rosters/units as the primary goal of the project is just to inject Real Combat (the latest) mechanics and stats into the vanilla Kingdoms Campaigns.
    Maybe you're right. I should concentrate on applying RC2 beta to the Kingdoms campaign. That would be the fastest approach and the Kingdoms campaigns (in contrast to Warscape TWs) are actually great without ambitious modding efforts. Of course, I will include the Stainless Steel textures, existing bugfixes (Calmar Union for example) and ReallyBad AI.
    New rosters is something I can do later.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Sounds like a good idea and a nice package to complement to the Kingdoms Campaigns. As far as I know the Kingdoms Campaigns don't have many mods so this will surely make up the shortfall.

French knights weren't that undisciplined at all. They had a high amount of training fighting together in units known as conrois. They just made bad tactical decisions sometimes due to the hunger for glory or pride.

Hey guys, it is only me, or the download link doesn't work?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Menqel View Post
    Hey guys, it is only me, or the download link doesn't work?
    The mod is still work in progress.

For some strange reasons, whenever I change the Tercio Pikemen's animation to "20 M2TW_Aggressive_Pike " like in Stainless Steel, my Americas campaign crashes as soon as I try to start a battle with them. The crashlog only reports an unknown error and I didn't forget to add the new RC2 skeleton and animation files.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Hey, been a while since last update. How are things progressing?
    If you need help ask Gigantus in the mod workshop.

Any news?

Guys please see my latest post in the Update thread.

Integrating the updated anims is important since the combat stats are designed to work with them.

I would be very keen to play a version in that setting.

Hope I can get my laptop back with all the files on it!
    Last edited by Point Blank; December 23, 2016 at 05:19 AM.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

This sounds awesome. +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    The mod is still work in progress.

For some strange reasons, whenever I change the Tercio Pikemen's animation to "20 M2TW_Aggressive_Pike " like in Stainless Steel, my Americas campaign crashes as soon as I try to start a battle with them. The crashlog only reports an unknown error and I didn't forget to add the new RC2 skeleton and animation files.
    Hello mate,

Is this mod still a thing? I don’t think it would be difficult or that much work to add in the native American units; I find the tactical possibilities quite interesting.

Is it possible to do the LiveCalc or whatever it was called to generate the stats? Been meaning to do a document detailing all the factors leading into every unit, but it is pretty tricky stuff.

Cheers,
    PB

Artifex

Sadly, the mod is on halt since I got a job. I already have my hands full with Shougun II Total Realism and the lack of crash logs doesn't make things easier.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12