Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total War: ATTILA - Celts Culture Pack Unit Spotlight!

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Total War: ATTILA - Celts Culture Pack Unit Spotlight!

This thread is about the Celtic Culture pack and its units, it is not about what gender generals are, the gender of another user, or whether or not another user is in school.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    Ok, I see. So the Christian faith made them put their pants and shoes away to some extent?
    Now to be fair, we do have evidence that shoes and pants were worn by the medieval Irish, archaeological and textual. The barefoot thing seems to have been a conscious sort of antiquitarianism among the Gaelic aristorcracy in the later middle ages, meant to recall the "heroic era" of Cuchulain, Fergus Mac Roich, and others. Pants are ambiguous, but seem to have been associated with either being lower-class, or being a mercenary, or perhaps both.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    Ok, I see. So the Christian faith made them put their pants and shoes away to some extent?

Well, have you ever seen the Pope wearing pants?

Pantslessness is next to Popeliness.

Personally, I don't like the idea of this RP. I'll doubtless not buy it until a significant sale, and get all the DLC in a bundle.

I sure do hate DLC.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Godless Crom View Post
    Now to be fair, we do have evidence that shoes and pants were worn by the medieval Irish, archaeological and textual. The barefoot thing seems to have been a conscious sort of antiquitarianism among the Gaelic aristorcracy in the later middle ages, meant to recall the "heroic era" of Cuchulain, Fergus Mac Roich, and others. Pants are ambiguous, but seem to have been associated with either being lower-class, or being a mercenary, or perhaps both.
    I know that there is evidence for pants and shoes with Irish and partly Picts. But there is also evidence that many went without. I'm sad that CA does not use the chance to get some diversity into the so far boring game when it is historically possible.

Concerning the "nostalgia" interpretation of going barefoot, are there trustworthy hints for it in literature or other texts? I read (in secondary literature, not the original) that the Rule of Ailbe of Emly directed that persons of respect should not go barefoot how ascetic they were (that to Christian influence). That seems to hint that going barefoot was more connected to the lower classes, that it was not uncommon and not well liked for higher society strata members. Perelhos on the other side hundreds of years later, maybe more or less the first foreign source not biased against the Irish (like Giraldus Cambrensis) clearly reports even members of the class that formed the armoured cavalry going barefoot and barelegged. What happened in between? In my opinion going barefoot in Scotland and Ireland is partly just a very practical habit. Leather soles and wet grass are very dangerous companions.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

You could also say, that nobles may have chosen not to wear shoes to appear less different than their subjects. We know that many Irish had bare feet until the end of the Nineteenth century. I think bare feet were very common until quite recently in the Gaelic speaking areas of Scotland and Ireland. This Elizabethan woodcut from 1570 "Drawn after the Quick" (means drawn from live subjects) quite clearly shows barefooted Irish warriors. If they were bare footed then, I doubt they were booted hundreds of years before! But perhaps a wish to appear as your heroic ancestor looked might have been a motivation.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In a land largely devoid of roads and in a climate which was temperate with high precipitation, making the earth frequently muddy and wet. Leather shoes and pants wouldn't have been very practical to wear, as they would have been constantly muddy and saturated as @geala says. Given that a good pair of boots was expensive to buy, it was easier to do without if your income was low. However in colder climates in northern continental Europe, having your legs and feet covered was a protection from extreme cold.

I do note that none of these Celtic units are barefooted and where are the Pictish crossbowmen CA?
    Last edited by caratacus; March 23, 2015 at 10:27 AM.

Do any of you believe there might be an event in game when playing as the ebdani that a st. Patrick figure might appear and start converting or give the option of converting your state religion? Around the appropriate time of course.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
    Do any of you believe there might be an event in game when playing as the ebdani that a st. Patrick figure might appear and start converting or give the option of converting your state religion? Around the appropriate time of course.
    Only if it is random and can hit all faction.

"A strange man has being to convert "random religion" in your province of "one of your regions"."

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Does anyone have a clue what the ebdanian faction traits are? Other then the guerrilla deployment.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
    Does anyone have a clue what the ebdanian faction traits are? Other then the guerrilla deployment.
    From the Steam page:

"Ebdanians
    Alongside the common Celtic traits for raiding, the Ebdanians also have talent for sacking and looting that combined gives them a unique playstyle and rivalled potential for profiting bloodily at their enemies' expense."

So my guess is that they get bonuses for sacking and looting settlements.

hessia78's Avatar Libertus

shame that we won't be able to play as the britons

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by hessia78 View Post
    shame that we won't be able to play as the britons
    This mod enables you to pay as the Romano-Britons
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...21&searchtext=
    and this one adds extra units;.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...chtext=britons
    Haven't tried them myself yet.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Why do the Irish have Gallowglasses? First of all the Irish never had gallowglasses unless they were mercenaries from the North or Scotland, secondly this is centuries before they ever appeared in Europe. Gallowglasses were medieval.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12