Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total War: ATTILA - Celts Culture Pack Unit Spotlight!

CA Developer Icon Total War: ATTILA - Celts Culture Pack Unit Spotlight!

The time is almost upon us for The Celts to reclaim their rightful homeland and what better way to prepare yourself than by taking a closer look at some of their unique units in our latest spotlight video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD_SwqliQmQ

The Celts have a few tricks up their sleeves when it comes to battle, such as Guerrilla Deployment for every unit (yes, EVERY unit) in the army, allowing them to deploy deeper into the battlefield catching their enemies by surprise.

Alongside this, each faction has a set of unique units with their own distinct playstyles. Opt for the tactical approach of The Ebdanians, using “The Righdamhna’s” powerful ribbed spear to kill from cover, or try the more up-close-and-personal approach of The Picts, using the super cool “Black Blades” to slice your way through the frontlines.

Find out more about The Celts Culture Pack for Total War: Attila here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/343461/

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Total War: ATTILA - Celts Culture Pack Unit Spotlight!

Nice Video, but I don't get the point of Gallowglass? they are suppose to be armed with a 2 handed sword ain't they?
    And I hope we one day get female generals, really got my hopes up in the end.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

They're supposed to be from the 13th century and wield two-handed axes as well. History!

Quote Originally Posted by Godless Crom View Post
    They're supposed to be from the 13th century and wield two-handed axes as well. History!
    Yeah but what ever unit should they then have? for me? as long as it gives good variation for each factions.

But yeah now none of us is happy =(
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; March 19, 2015 at 11:45 AM.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

On this pack: I like the idea of blanket guerilla warfare for this culture. Combined with the spotting/hiding values of base attila (which is IMO a bit better than R2 too long range) should make for some nice guerilla battles, even against a still standing WRE.
    The problem with TW is always that you can not use campaign guerrilla tactic with inferior forces without retreating halfway across the map, and often getting annihilated after the first contact due to no movement point left. I hope sometimes we will find an alternative to how we manage armies clash and retreats on the campaign map.
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; March 20, 2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: continuity

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Nice Video, but I don't get the point of Gallowglass? they are suppose to be armed with a 2 handed sword ain't they?
    And I hope we one day get female generals, really got my hopes up in the end.

The gallowglass were a class of warriors from Norse-Irish decent that formed their own tribe as they were not quite Norse and not quite Irish. Therefore they were often involved with the power struggles between the Norse and the Irish peoples on whatever side that would favor themselves the most.

So 1: The Gallowglasses is a 10th century phenomenon and 2: They would obviously not be carrying longswords or bastard swords in the 5th century.

Also Cetic and Germanic warrior women was not unheard of at all, especially in the migration age they were fairly common. The Irish for example had Scatach and Aife. Roman battle reports from Strabo, Plutark, Dio, Tacitus all mention warrior women. Especially interesting is a wedding ritual described by Tacitus where the man gives the woman a spear and a shield as a wedding gift.

Aurelian captured and paraded 200 gothic warrior-women in Rome in the 3rd century, and Saxo's chronicles have plenty of them as well. Then there's the occasional female leaders like Boadicea.

However common for the warrior-women is that they are almost always described coming from the upper-class. Not peasants. Which makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

The gallowglass were a class of warriors from Norse-Irish decent that formed their own tribe as they were not quite Norse and not quite Irish. Therefore they were often involved with the power struggles between the Norse and the Irish peoples on whatever side that would favor themselves the most.

So 1: The Gallowglasses is a 10th century phenomenon and 2: They would obviously not be carrying longswords or bastard swords in the 5th century.
    Galloglas comes from the Irish galloglaich, and means "foreign young warrior" (gall- from the Irish for foreigner, and oglach means young warrior), and they were a phenomenon of the later middle ages: they were mercenaries, typically from the Hebridies and western seaboard of Scotland, who were hired by Irish lords as heavy infantry. The generally accepted earliest date for a group of Galloglas operating in Ireland is 1259, when 160 warriors accompanied the bride of Aed Ua Conchubair from the Hebridies to Connacht. After that, they increasingly became a feature in Irish warfare, often captained by a hereditary group of nobles from Scotland, but with the majority of the soldiers probably drawn from Ireland. As time went on, many settled permanently in Ireland.

You might be thinking of the Gall-Gaedhil, which was term used for people who displayed a good deal of Norse and Gaelic cultural syncretism: the Irish annals refer to them as "those Gaels who were fostered among the Galls (the Norse, at this time), and who acted like them, and marauded alongside them." They first crop up in the tenth-century, and the term is also used for the early inhabitants of the Hebridies, and eventually for the inhabitants of the Scandinavian towns in Ireland. The Galloglas grew out of this culture (though they were wholly Gaelicized by the time they became known as Galloglas), but the two terms are generally kept distinct. Either way, both peoples refer to cultures that developed hundreds of years after the events of Attila: Total War

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Gall-Gaedhil
    Yes I certainly thought they were the same thing. And they almost are. Thanks for the correction though.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Yes I certainly thought they were the same thing. And they almost are. Thanks for the correction though.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so pedantic. I just want CA to stop using Galloglas in every game for the Irish faction, no matter how far out of time period they are: Viking Invasion and Barbarian Invasion and now Attila all have Galloglas for no reason. At least they've always been a kick-ass unit!

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post

Also Cetic and Germanic warrior women was not unheard of at all, especially in the migration age they were fairly common. The Irish for example had Scatach and Aife. Roman battle reports from Strabo, Plutark, Dio, Tacitus all mention warrior women. Especially interesting is a wedding ritual described by Tacitus where the man gives the woman a spear and a shield as a wedding gift.

Aurelian captured and paraded 200 gothic warrior-women in Rome in the 3rd century, and Saxo's chronicles have plenty of them as well. Then there's the occasional female leaders like Boadicea.

However common for the warrior-women is that they are almost always described coming from the upper-class. Not peasants. Which makes a lot of sense if you think about it.
    Ahhh that is a shame about the s handed sword, really hope to see a model of it in game.
    And I would really love to be able to properly be able to mod in female generals.
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; March 20, 2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: continuity

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Dazza doing the voiceover, how appropriate.

British Isles factions at last.

Foederatus

Ole ole ole ole oleeee oleeee. Come on the Irish. Fair play to ya Darren boy!.

FIX THE GAME FIRST!

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    I`ve heard schools are unfairly Feminised, giving boys a bad deal in school. I wonder if this is why you are so obsessed with the highly unlikely women generals in warfare?

Where is the pride for male Generals in warfare that actually existed?
    "I feel a deep pride that I am related to Hannibal and Alexander."

"What...? You're French. There's no way you can trace your bloodline back to both of them."

"Well, yes. But you see, they both had penises. And I also have a penis. Proudly, we are people who had/have penises."
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

So another 8$ culture pack with 2 units per Faction..... How about something you didn't remove from the game? well CA?

Quote Originally Posted by stevieshae View Post
    So another 8$ culture pack with 2 units per Faction..... How about something you didn't remove from the game? well CA?
    To be fair, it's more like eight units per faction, plus an entire Celtic unit roster: so Celtic Levy, Celtic Warband, etc. So actually a lot of units.

Senator

The look of the Irish and Pictish units raise an important question for me: what for God's sake happened between ATW date 400 AD and real life date 800 AD that made them change appearance/clothing so fundamentally? Perhaps immigrants from Mars?
    Last edited by geala; March 20, 2015 at 02:18 AM.

So many DLCs, but no news on the map editor.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    The look of the Irish and Pictish units raise an important question for me: what for God's sake happened between ATW date 400 AD and real life date 800 AD that made them change appearance/clothing so fundamentally? Perhaps immigrants from Mars?
    Christianity.

Senator

Ok, I see. So the Christian faith made them put their pants and shoes away to some extent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast