Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [UNITS] The Roman Republic

Default [UNITS] The Roman Republic

Credits
    Credits The units below are the result of our own tweaking of the models and textures of others. As such, I'd like to start this process by thanking those mods/individuals who allowed us to use their work. We could not have duplicated their wonderful work on our own.
    Kaziel - It is is difficult to find a Roman overhaul that does not include Kaziel/Octavian21's wonderful work. Below we made use of a number of his models, textures, and shield designs.
    Kaziel's Romans * VERSION 4.5 * (UPDATED: 17/09/2014) * Currently BUGGED *

Attila/Little Legionaire's Army Mod - Similarly, we made use of shield designs/decals from the LLA mod while also adopting some of its colors and concepts.
    Legionaire Army Mod

Hloeric/Romanorum Acies - Hloeric allowed us to use the amazing textures he made for his Romanorum Acies mod as well as some other more recent work to include the fantastic hamata armor seen below. His work is underutilized, but I don't know of anyone who does better texture work. We're grateful to be able to include his work.
    Romanorum Acies on Steam

Vae Victis/Solitudo - The early Roman scutum used for the first generation of units came from Magnar's Vae Victis mod. It is the work of a contributor to our mod, Solitudo. We would like to thank Magnar for giving us permission to use the shield and Solitudo for making it (as well as his own permission to use it).
    Solitudo on Steam
    Vae Victis Steam Collection

Introduction and Reforms Explanation

Introduction Hello! I am Petellius and I have something I have been wishing to show you all for a while now and I am very excited. A while back ABH approached me and asked if I could start work on the Roman Faction Roster, and I did precisely that. Since then there have been a whole host of changes and lots of new textures, with most of the team chipping in to lend a hand. The unit cards below were designed UMCenturion.

Every unit Rome will have access to is not listed below, but this is the core of their roster. We have attempted to represent regional variation in the Socii. Depicting every tribe/city-state of Italy would have led to a great deal of redundancy, so we decided to go with those that had variations in equipment. Missing from below are potential Greek Socii units. The player will have the option to turn Magna Graecia into a recruitment center and gain access to some early AOR units (an infantry and Tarnatine cavalry unit), though at the start the area will be designated to provide naval contingents rather than land units.

Reforms Now, the Roman faction is going to be experiencing three major reforms throughout the Republican Era in Ancient Empires. The first stage of the roman look is the beginning of the First Punic War, where the Romans are equipped with Xiphos, early scutum shields and a normal javelin.

The second stage is that of the end of the First and beginning of the Second Punic War, where the new Scutum and some mail is introduced as well as cohorts of Socii Allies.

The third and final stage is that of the end of the Second Punic War and onwards until the Marian Reforms. These Romans gain more heavy armour and expensive clothing, as well as the famed Gladius Hispaniensis and stronger Pila Javelin. The last version of each unit below, with the exception of the Cohors Sociorum, will be the units featured in our Attila campaign. The Cohors Sociorum will have its final two versions used in Attila.

In general, the Socii will become more consolidated and Romanized over time. This process historically culminated in the Social War and the Italian allies gaining Roman citizenship in 90 BC. We will hope to duplicate that throughout our campaigns. They will constitute a more significant part of the player's army (hopefully) over the campaign just as they did in the Roman military from the Second Punic War on.

The Units
    Unit card preview (work done by UMCenturion, click here to download his unit cards for the wonderful Caesar's Legion's mod):

Early Republican Units
    (First Punic War)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Allied Units (First Punic War)

Mid Republican Roman Units (Stage 2 Reforms)

Socii Units

Late Republican Roman Units (stage 3 Reforms)
    Using the Attila Engine

Socii Units

NEW WALLPAPERS

Last edited by ABH2; April 21, 2015 at 07:30 PM.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Romans, Pre-Marian

Done a little earlier than I expected thanks to the speedy work of Petellius and UMCenturion. As always, wonderful shots. Hope for some good feedback, though I hope everyone is pleased with the end result of our process.

And really, thanks again to the mods/modders who gave us permission to use their work. Would not have been possible without them.

Fantastic !

They look great. I honestly find it hard to wait for a release for Atilla, not Rome 2 ( aint touching that pile of anymore )

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Oh snap, Can someone hand me out a napkin please?

Smiling Hetairoi's Avatar Semisalis

This mod is looking better and better!

Want

I remember Kaziel released his new coolus cheek guard which looks a lot better than the vanilla one. I see in the pictures you guys still use the vanilla cheek guard. May I suggest you find Kaziel's new one and use it instead? It looks a lot better, both texture and model wise

Quote Originally Posted by diego007 View Post
    I remember Kaziel released his new coolus cheek guard which looks a lot better than the vanilla one. I see in the pictures you guys still use the vanilla cheek guard. May I suggest you find Kaziel's new one and use it instead? It looks a lot better, both texture and model wise
    I was planning on saving them for the early marian units.

Was it not possible to use the face models from Attila? Hate to be the naysayer, but I always kinda hated the lumpy and limited Rome II faces.

Was it not possible to use the face models from Attila? Hate to be the naysayer, but I always kinda hated the lumpy and limited Rome II faces.
    I hadn't really noticed much difference (didn't look), but I'll compare the two and if the Attila is better, it wouldn't be a hard switch.

Awesome work. This mod, rise of mordor, and the middle ages mods are the only thing keeping me interested in this game.

10 new screenshots added!

Outstanding Screenshots as always, Petellius. Hopefully we see more shots on other factions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    Outstanding Screenshots as always, Petellius. Hopefully we see more shots on other factions as well.
    But of course, once they are out.

This mod is starting to look on the better side of AMAZING. However I have a question after looking over the unit preview. I'm assuming that this is just a glimpse of whats to come, so will there be Marian style units in the much later stage of the game? If not, do you plan on implementing it somewhere down the line?

Yes, we will of course have Marian units and we are aiming for numbered legions. At the moment, the plan is to implement the Caesar's Legions mod which we have permission to use:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2015-UPDATE***

It's great work, and at least in my view, the best late Roman legions. Over time, we may make some modifications or tweak them a bit, but there's no way we'd be able to do the quality of work with our small team on our own. We may do a preview at some point in the next few weeks if we can find the time, but a lot of it is already on display, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    Yes, we will of course have Marian units and we are aiming for numbered legions. At the moment, the plan is to implement the Caesar's Legions mod which we have permission to use:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2015-UPDATE***
    Such detail and variation . However, will this affect the framerate though?

I'm not familiar with too many complaints about it causing lag like some unit packs, but I may have missed it. My own computer is on the low end, personally, and I don't have particular issues with it, but we'll see how it goes for people. The main issues that cause lag are too many models and models that have high polygon counts, as I understand it. Most of those in Caesar's are vanilla models modified. Some of Kaziel's work mixed in which is basically just new textures. There are some Roman mods that add a lot of new models that cause issues for a lot of people because of polygon count.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Outstanding work, getting very excited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast