View Poll Results: What Era do you think this will be based on?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • 500 A.D

12 5.74%
  • 660 A.D

20 9.57%
  • 720 A.D

18 8.61%
  • 800 A.D

37 17.70%
  • 900 A.D

57 27.27%
  • 1000 A.D

65 31.10%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: TOTAL WAR: MEDIEVAL CHRISTENDOM - Introduction Preview [Still alive]

Default Re: TOTAL WAR: MEDIEVAL CHRISTENDOM - Introduction Preview [5/3/2015]

If I could also add, the world map has Galicia as bordering Asturias to the east. That is also incorrect. Galicia is the northwestern most region on the peninsula. With respect to 900 AD borders, the region marked as Galicia should also belong to Asturias -- it doesn't establish its own dynasty for a while. This period was an odd one in the reconquista as neither the Christians nor the Moors were able to gain much ground. The Christians lacked the manpower and resources to conquer, hold, and develop territory and the Moors weren't effective fighters in the mountainous northwest. Asturias fortified its holdings with castles along its borders and the capital was moved to Leon (924).

Also, in that time (and throughout the century the mod starts, the Christian north of Iberia evolves crazy rapidly with Portucale becoming a thing, Asturias becoming Leon, then Galicia becoming a thing, then Castille, then the second Portucale, etc... You all certainly have your work cut out for you, but if I can help with research with respect to Iberia, let me know. I have a particular affinity for the Reconquista.

Decanus

Definitely interested in trying this out!

The Saffarid Dynasty

Faction Leader: Amir Ibn-Al Layth
    Capital: Zaranj (on campaign map Phra)
    Description: The legacy of Persia is a long and proud one, and The Saffarids are the continuation of that legacy. As the first Muslim-Persian dynasty, The Saffarids have diverged from the Zoroastrianism followed by their predecessors. The dynasty was built by a simple man, a coppersmith (Saffar in Persian, hence the name) whose ambitions took him to the head of a new dynasty. Like the many Persian states past, the empire sits on the Silk Road, making the empire extremely rich. But they neighbor the Abbasid Muslim dynasty, and they are not on the friendliest of terms. The next few years could either spell doom or unprecedented glory for the Saffarids.

The Tulunids

Faction Leader: Harun

Description: Having separated themselves from the Abbasid caliphs to the east, the Tulunids have come into their own as one of the dominant Muslim states. But it is a time of turmoil for the dynasty of Ahmad Bin Tulun, infighting, invasions from the Abbasids, ineffectual leaders, and general disorganization are starting to pose a serious threat to the continued existence of the state. There is great potential in this fledging state, but too much stands in the way for it to exploit it’s potential. The question remains, will the Tulunids survive the threats, or will they succumb and die out?

Although I do know it's called Medieval Christedom and will focus on Christian factions, will it also let you play as say, Denmark, or other Pagan nations?

Cyrene's Avatar Vicarius

who made the faction symbols?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrene View Post
    who made the faction symbols?

That would be me.

Quote Originally Posted by FritzOfGermania View Post
    Although I do know it's called Medieval Christedom and will focus on Christian factions, will it also let you play as say, Denmark, or other Pagan nations?
    Yes, that's the plan. Right now we are focusing on Islamic factions first before we move on to Christianity and pagan

@FrozenmenSS

most of the information of Bulgaria contradict with the history research of other factions. The Slav area is not fully accurate yes. However, we cannot make Bulgaria own that much land, yes it's not historical, but you can't go. "Historical" into a Sandbox game. This is why I divided her, making vlach for example, a vassal. Magyars had more lands in that area. The game provinces and settlements are limiting us to make certain changes. This is why we have set it up like this.

For crete and Sicily, we may change them for sure. Because the idea was to give some extra lands to Byzantine, they won't be able to hold those cities anyway, but rather as a economy boost in order for them to survive. We are talking about total war AI here, some. Things have to be considered in the side of the gameplay mechanics as well.

but thank you for the feedback.

also, Asturias and Galicia are in a feudal system.
    Last edited by Idreaus; May 15, 2015 at 10:16 AM.

We are looking for a Unit creator to help speed the process content. PM if interested
    Last edited by Idreaus; May 15, 2015 at 03:50 PM.

Damnnn this looks ambitious. Let me know if you need my noob help.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Idreaus View Post
    @FrozenmenSS

most of the information of Bulgaria contradict with the history research of other factions. The Slav area is not fully accurate yes. However, we cannot make Bulgaria own that much land, yes it's not historical, but you can't go. "Historical" into a Sandbox game. This is why I divided her, making vlach for example, a vassal. Magyars had more lands in that area. The game provinces and settlements are limiting us to make certain changes. This is why we have set it up like this.

For crete and Sicily, we may change them for sure. Because the idea was to give some extra lands to Byzantine, they won't be able to hold those cities anyway, but rather as a economy boost in order for them to survive. We are talking about total war AI here, some. Things have to be considered in the side of the gameplay mechanics as well.

but thank you for the feedback.

also, Asturias and Galicia are in a feudal system.
    At least gave the 1st Bulgarian Empire/Tcarstvom the region of Plovdiv/Pulpodeva/Philippopolis thats Called in latin Trimontium in the Vannila Attila TW.Its has been into Bulgarian Lands since the 830s - captured by Khan Malamir in the 830s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malamir_of_Bulgaria
    Same for the Vlach's region.

My proposal to set some of the starting Armies is to Simulate How was Divided Region A between 2 Factions.Its Cheap and Easy way to simulate that Faction A controls the Area/most of the lands,but cant/still not Capture/ed the main regional town.That Was the Situation in the Balkans a lot.Set 1 Starting Army Between Thesaloniki and Dyracium near the Ohrid Lake to simulate That the Bulgarian State Controlled that Area. I know that a lot of the primal sourses are Conflicting with eachother thats why Im Proposing this.

BTW im Working Creating Mods for the Vannila Attila with 20 new Factions with starting dates 395ad,410ad,451ad,476ad,575ad and maybe 530ad and Constantine the Great Time period and im using this Trick with the starting Armies when edditing the Campaign map and the Start_pos file...
    For Example the region of Vennice in my mod settled in 572ad was controled by the Langorbards,but the City itself was under the Rule of the Exarhate of Italia/The Roman/Byzantine Empire. In that Scenario I placed a military stronger Langorbard's Army than the Garnison in Vennice to Simulate. The rest - Let the Ai take the City in the first 5 Turns.
    Try this trick.It works perfectly in your Mod when for Example the Magyars were stronger in Transilvania,but the First Bulgarian Empire was controling the Regional Capital there,when you got a disputed Region between 2 or more factions - it can only benefit the Player when he attacks that region and take it for example in an evan Fight.

BTW this was the time the 1st Bulgarian Empire was the Strongest in its History under the rule of Simeon I The Great and at its peak of its Power.. I think there have to be no Compromise when Representing one of the strongest Factions in Eastern Europe at that Time and that Century.
    At the Battle of Alheloi/Achelous 60 000 Bulgarians defeated 62 000 Byzantine Army http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...elous_(917)The battle was one of the worst disasters that ever befell a Byzantine army, and conversely one of the greatest military successes of the 1st Bulgarian Empire. Among the most significant consequences was the official recognition of the Imperial title of the Bulgarian monarchs, and the consequent affirmation of Bulgarian equality vis-à-vis Byzantium.The Battle was also one of the Biggest battles for the 10th Century overall.
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; May 17, 2015 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Final Edit

Playable Factions Emblem/Flags High Quality Designs
    This is an unfinished Work

Roman Empire

Papal States

Western Francia Kingdom

Eastern Francia Kingdom

Kingdom of Denmark

Kiev Rus

Orkney's Vikings (Migrators)

Oghuz Turks (Migrators)

Saffarid Dynasty/Empire

Abbasid Caliphate

Tulunid Emirates

Umayyad Emirates

Idrisid Dynasty/Kingdom

More Factions to come.

Last edited by Idreaus; May 17, 2015 at 01:19 PM.

Default Re: Total War: Medieval Christendom - Introduction Preview

I am still unclear about the exact starting date - could you spell that out by any chance? Byzantine domains in the West look weird... the reconquest of Apulia and Calabria, in southern Italy, post-dates the fall of Syracuse to the Aghlabids, so they cannot have both... also, the situation of Sardinia is a very complicate historical matter - if you gave me the exact starting date, I could try to sort it out! Same for northern Italy....

PS: very excited about this, are you going to work on units anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by demostene View Post
    I am still unclear about the exact starting date - could you spell that out by any chance? Byzantine domains in the West look weird... the reconquest of Apulia and Calabria, in southern Italy, post-dates the fall of Syracuse to the Aghlabids, so they cannot have both... also, the situation of Sardinia is a very complicate historical matter - if you gave me the exact starting date, I could try to sort it out! Same for northern Italy....

PS: very excited about this, are you going to work on units anytime soon?
    We settled on the 900 A.D. start date.

Papal States wont be playable, will they? If so, how will they work? Especially considering it's a Theocracy and thus if the Pope has a son, that son won't inherit the Papacy.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

BTW the Sandbox type if Gameplay wont Help here. The Mod will become more Popular when its as Historical Correct as possible.The Sandbox exp can be done with the Starting Armies not with the Starting regions. This Way it will be Saver when some Nationalistic Guys are insulted From a Historic Viewpoint and Try to rage and Flame the thread.

Example for a good Sandbox type of gameplay :
    Give Modern The Hungarian Players The Oportunity to Conquer Transilvania and give them the Fealing of Founding their Nation in their lands pressent lands in the First 5 turns and the Bulgarian Players to Defend it againts the odds.The starting Date of the Mod Historicaly is late by the current Version by 4-5 years and will let down the Hungarian players a little Bit.Give them the opurtunity to at least Conquer the second half/part of their Present and Historic lands.This will be only a possitive for the mod overall.

Give the Romans the Regions that controlled back then Historically and this will make the Roman Empire's Campaign even more interesting. This way the AI also will hande it and the major Factions Will still be Around in the Mid-Late Game.

And so on.

Keep the Good Luck with the Flags also.

If the mod makers want this game to be historic let them make its historic, don't do a CA and make it over the top and silly with fantasy and out of place units, still, despite the mod tools, there are limits to what one can and cannot do making absolute historical accuracy difficult. Besides, if anyone raises a kerfuffle then just report them to a mod so they can Deal with it.

I wish CA would have made this and not Attila. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan97 View Post
    We settled on the 900 A.D. start date.
    I see - good call! A most exciting period. Sicily should then be assigned to the Aghlabids of Ifriqiya, the island was nearly entirely under their rule by that date, the last major fortress on the island still in Byzantine hands being Taormina.

Also, the very first decade of the Xth century witnessed the rise of the Fatimid revolutionary movement in Ifriqiyah - could this be represented by having a shi'ite hoard faction active in the Aghlabid lands at the beginning of the game, representing the Fatimid insurrection? It should be made up mostly of Berber troops. Just a suggestion - I am sure that there are other priorities, but the Fatmids were kind of a major political player in the Xth century, so it would be nice to see them expand on the map as the game goes on (or to stop them, if one feels like playing as an Abbasid loyalist!).

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Now that looks rather ambitious

I ih you the best of luck for this project! Hopefully you can create a great experience!