Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does every Total War game needs Mods?

FromHellBG's Avatar Civis

Default Why does every Total War game needs Mods?

Why does every Total War game needs Mods?- I think The Creative Assembly are used to doing things half-hearted because it is easier to multi pichelish money from an unfinished product with multiple DLC,Blood packs,Culture packs and so on......

Senator

Default Re: Why does every Total War game needs Mods?

There are some axiomatic facts in the world we only can accept reluctantly but humbly. Why do religions exist? Why leads might to corruption? Why are The Simpsons not so funny anymore? Why there is left-hand-traffic in Great Britain?

As a guess I would say, a commercial enterprise can not finance all the personal and time that the very diverse modding projects need to satisfy the many different tastes out there. It has to make compromises. Often it can be bad compromises.

Most pc games have mods. It's not unique to the Total War franchise.

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Even if a game doesnt "need" mods, it should be modable.

I would be more outraged over a game that couldnt be modded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias Maximus View Post
    Most pc games have mods. It's not unique to the Total War franchise.
    But only TW games NEED mods to be playable in a decent way.

Y@$!N's Avatar Senator

It doesn't 'need' them, but people have been modding the game since the series began, a lot of the time focusing on battle realism and that kind of thing. I think it's a great thing to be able to choose between playing vanilla and modded games.

Also CA generally gives a pretty stable game engine (going from Napoleon, Shogun II, Rome II, Attila) which makes it quite easy to mod, the engine by now is very refined I think - to me it seems the same as the one first used in ETW and NTW, though I could be wrong on that.
    My YouTube Channel
    Hello, again.

Because every single person has its own special taste?

Even awesome games like Hearts of Iron III need mods to make it that much better. Very few games are the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyPoopCereal View Post
    Even awesome games like Hearts of Iron III need mods to make it that much better. Very few games are the exception.
    EU IV is pretty perfect without mods - even though the option is there if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    EU IV is pretty perfect without mods - even though the option is there if you want them.
    It depends if you agree or disagree with philosophy of mods available. If you mostly agree with changes made by moders you would probably play the game with mod and find it superior to experience without it in vanila state. So it is fully depend on your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Duke View Post
    But only TW games NEED mods to be playable in a decent way.
    That's a matter of opinion. I enjoy most TW games vanilla. I also enjoy some mods.

Yeah and it has No battles and No action whatsoever.

It`s essentialy like watching constant 24/7 newsreport on the diplomatic releations reports coming from the ministry of foreign affairs.

I`ll take this:

Over this:

At any given time!

What the hell is that even supposed to be?!

How are you supposed to feel like an all conquering power from history when all you ever do is manage marriages between your cousins and watch 2 people have pointless brawls?

Everyone keeps talking about this game in comparision to tw. And all I can say is, well go and play it and talk about it on a forum dedicated to it!

It doesnt appeal to people who like warfare and battles, from the looks of it it only appeals to people who also like to watch rain drop down a window.

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    Yeah and it has No battles and No action whatsoever.

It`s essentialy like watching constant 24/7 newsreport on the diplomatic releations reports coming from the ministry of foreign affairs.

I`ll take this:

Over this:

At any given time!

What the hell is that even supposed to be?!

How are you supposed to feel like an all conquering power from history when all you ever do is manage marriages between your cousins and watch 2 people have pointless brawls?

Everyone keeps talking about this game in comparision to tw. And all I can say is, well go and play it and talk about it on a forum dedicated to it!

It doesnt appeal to people who like warfare and battles, from the looks of it it only appeals to people who also like to watch rain drop down a window.
    It's a game for genuine strategists, not a game where you get dog piled by a mindless AI and have to sit through units awkwardly smushing together in "pointless brawls". Obviously you have zero idea about EU IV since you've never played it. One game is essentially designed for children, and one is not.

It's a game for genuine strategists, not a game where you get dog piled by a mindless AI and have to sit through units awkwardly smushing together in "pointless brawls". Obviously you have zero idea about EU IV since you've never played it. One game is essentially designed for children, and one is not.
    I have played strategy games since the good old Populous days and essential ingredient for every single strategy game since have been the battles and the building of a nation.

Managing a royal families inbreed releationships is just something that can be added as a bonus.

And no. I never played Europa Universlis or Crusader Kings. Because I only need to read the content to know that there is nothing interesting about it.

But please, explain how exciting it is and how much skill it takes to manage marriages between cousins, manage inheritance laws for monarchs, negotiate with the pope and all that other "fascinating" stuff.

In terms of concept, what exactly is the difference between train simulator and Europa Universalis? The game might aswell be called "Booring Incest Monarchs releations with other Boring incest Monarchs Simulator"

Dude, most of the Historian population can appreciate a good fight, in fact i'd go as far as the say the vast majority of men enjoy epic battles. So no, bud you dont get to call one "For genuine strategists" and the other "designed for children". There is plenty of strategy in Total war, and if you dont believe me we can go MPC and i will kill you using only autoresolve, like a paradox game.

On the subjects of mods, we must realize that History is the biggest subject that exists, holding pretty much all of the knowledge in the world(Technically all). So making a authentic historic game that preserves gameplay and still stay as a authentic as possible is tricky. Most people have a different level of authenticity contra gameplay they prefer. So CA naturally allows moders to make that decision for you and instead try and make a functioning Vanilla. So far they succeeded, all though we all would enjoy proper mod opportunities such as campaign map editing. Ohh the persibilitiezzzz.
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Just because it's less complicated doesn't mean its a worse game.

Oh I think things should become more complex over time as we progress in the game series. Several things like the economy have for example not been changed in over 10 years!

But the essential part of this game series are warfare and battles! That is what drew me to buy my first total war game!

Back then I had only played strategy games were massive army consisted of 60 men. Suddently comanded thousands of troops in a real time battlefield as I conquered gaul!

That fundermentaly is what makes this game great!!! But a significant portion of people on this forum come arround and whine:

"buhuhuhu battles are boring! buhuhuhuhuhuhu! Battles are patriachy Buhuhuhuhuhu!

The AI isnt a perfect intelligent machine that fully grasps all available concepts of battlefield strategy buhuhuhuhu!

Let`s turn tw into Europa Universalis buhuhuhuhuhuhu! Because I`d rather autoresolve everything and arrange a digital marriage between my aunt and my brother buhuhuhu!"

Screw that!
    Last edited by Kraut and Tea; March 18, 2015 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    Oh I think things should become more complex over time as we progress in the game series. Several things like the economy have for example not been changed in over 10 years!

But the essential part of this game series are warfare and battles! That is what drew me to buy my first total war game!

Back then I had only played strategy games were massive army consisted of 60 men. Suddently comanded thousands of troops in a real time battlefield as I conquered gaul!

That fundermentaly is what makes this game great!!! But a significant portion of people on this forum come arround and whine:

"buhuhuhu battles are boring! buhuhuhuhuhuhu! Battles are patriachy Buhuhuhuhuhu!

The AI isnt a perfect intelligent machine that fully grasps all available concepts of battlefield strategy buhuhuhuhu!

Let`s turn tw into Europa Universalis buhuhuhuhuhuhu! Because I`d rather autoresolve everything and arrange a digital marriage between my aunt and my brother buhuhuhu!"

Screw that!
    You might not understand it, but the economy,trade and management has changed greatly over time.
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

Quote Originally Posted by DeliCiousTZM View Post
    You might not understand it, but the economy,trade and management has changed greatly over time.
    I am talking about the basic trade agreement.

Nothing has really been added to that. You basicaly make a trade agreement and thats it.

Resources should have a far bigger impact on your nation as they do aswell as the trade and production of those resources.

There should also be more options to manipulate the economy.

CA doesn't want to spend the time and effort fulfilling everyone's desires. Not all at once, anyways.

Plus, keeping it open to modding (to some extent), allows the community to do the marketing and work for them. That's not to imply every company that lets modding do this for malicious reasons, it's a good thing to be able to mod the game, and part of the "need" for mods isn't so much needs but people want and can implement personal flavours into them, like if you wanted new units that are meant either for historical or balance/ universalisation reasons.

Of course, I can only imagine a very small percentage that likes the TW game so much, that mods of any shape and form would seem to defile the game's spirit. I mean there are a lot of small mods that do nothing but improve the game, ie the one that gave Shogun2's unit cards colour-coded background to easily see which unit is an archer and which is cavalry. Hell put that into ANY Total War game and you have what I'd call an improvement.

So I guess the answer is because CA doesn't really do much on the game-ability of Total War, so to speak. They can make games, but they don't really make them good to interact with. They should focus on providing what the community cannot by themselves, and they succeed to various degrees. This is why DLC is controversial: it's selling variations of what exists, and people have made similar material before and for free.

Think of it this way: if the designer content team in CA focused on providing DLC that the community absolutely cannot themselves make, wouldn't that be less controversial? That depends very heavily on just what CA can do to tweak a game that is over the heads of modders' ability, without breaking the general design of the game itself.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast