Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: On today of all days, a Celtic Invasion!

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: On today of all days, a Celtic Invasion!

I will certainly not buy this cut content.

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

Sheesh, CA is getting worse than Capcom on their cut content. Back to Europa Barbarorum I go...

Free Kekistan

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Artorius View Post
    Just because something is widely done, doesn't make it desirable nor right. One of these days we will be sold a complete game on release with the only dlc being full blown expansions or harmless cosmetics (one can hope.)
    You miss the trend 10 years ago.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Its slightly annoying that CA writes here except for Lusted

Wow. Forums have gone downhill with candy coated revisionism here, I also see the same names popping up in each of the threads. This forum used to be better about making this space fun and FRIENDLY, arguments were limited to specific forums. Otherwise threads like this were very well managed. For OT purposes... Who ACTUALLY REMEMBERS the release of... oh, say Rome Total War. Anyone who was actually THERE (like me) want to comment on the the NUMBER of factions in the game TOTAL? Then... the number of playable factions. THEN, the number of actual unique units per faction? Anyone? Anyone... What about massively important areas of the map not being there at all? Vanilla Rome, and Vanilla MTW were pretty crappy by TODAY'S STANDARDS. I mean, extremely limited, quick campaigns, and shallow depth to tactics (ANY battle could be won by some archers on a hill, and nearly every map had hills). I remember fighting in battlemaps of apparently France... that had palm trees and sand... because oops.

Bunch of crybabies these days. Be glad you got anything, it seems as though most of you would be happier if this series didn't exist.

(realities about cost and profit seem to elude people in general, everyone just prefers to moan and cry like children)

I'm really excited about this release. I usually take my norse factions to Scotland anyways, now I won't have to migrate! Yay!
    Last edited by Renown; March 22, 2015 at 09:00 AM.
    Son of the Ancient Archaon, House of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by Renown View Post
    Wow. Forums have gone downhill with candy coated revisionism here, I also see the same names popping up in each of the threads. This forum used to be better about making this space fun and FRIENDLY, arguments were limited to specific forums. Otherwise threads like this were very well managed. For OT purposes... Who ACTUALLY REMEMBERS the release of... oh, say Rome Total War. Anyone who was actually THERE (like me) want to comment on the the NUMBER of factions in the game TOTAL? Then... the number of playable factions. THEN, the number of actual unique units per faction? Anyone? Anyone... What about massively important areas of the map not being there at all? Vanilla Rome, and Vanilla MTW were pretty crappy by TODAY'S STANDARDS. I mean, extremely limited, quick campaigns, and shallow depth to tactics (ANY battle could be won by some archers on a hill, and nearly every map had hills). I remember fighting in battlemaps of apparently France... that had palm trees and sand... because oops.

Bunch of crybabies these days. Be glad you got anything, it seems as though most of you would be happier if this series didn't exist.

(realities about cost and profit seem to elude people in general, everyone just prefers to moan and cry like children)

I'm really excited about this release. I usually take my norse factions to Scotland anyways, now I won't have to migrate! Yay!
    Rome1 was a big step up in the world of gaming. It gave us a strat map where we could roam at will. Prior to that all we had was mods of the game "Civilization".

Attila TW proves that the "new engine" can be brought to grips with the ancient world in a challenging campaign. It offers things we didn't get in the original Rome1. A multitude of nations many of which can rise again. A real diplomacy, as in history hordes cross the boarder but may not be on a formal war footing, you can levy soldiers from them. So do you wipe them out immediately or is there something more dangerous on the horizon?

Attila TW isn't perfect, but it is still a very good game.

I remember asking at computer game shops for something on Rome but all they offered was "Civilization". Then I was shown Rome1 and I immediately preordered. I think it was $89 in Australian dollars. Attila a superior game is 49 Aud.

To put this in context the US price of a big mac (since we can't trust government statistics) has gone from $2.90 to $4.80 in the US since 2004. In real terms we get the main game at an introductory price these days. CA prices are quite reasonable for what is a sophisticated game. My only complaint with the DLC's is not getting a dedicated map and new scenario with each one.
    Last edited by wulfgar610; March 23, 2015 at 02:00 AM.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Old games are kind of irrelevant to the point. Doesn't matter how many factions Rome I had, or how many unique units.

Faction DLC is just terrible DLC. It's uninspired and lazy. Maybe if every faction genuinely played differently, but that hardly seems the case here. Factions and units should just be added into the game periodically. They amount of time it takes to throw together some new units and unlock some factions is completely negligible. Giving us free content with each new update would lose them approximately 0 monies, which they could easily recuperate with actual, in-depth DLC that add new mechanics or campaigns. FotS is an absolute perfect example of a DLC worthy of purchasing.

I think DLC is a great business model, but not this kind of DLC. This kind of DLC feels cheap and lazy. I don't feel like it is entitled to say this is the kind of thing that should be included in free updates. It's rather like taking a non-functioning headlight out of your rental car, sprucing it up with some nice polish, and then selling it to you.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    They amount of time it takes to throw together some new units and unlock some factions is completely negligible
    Oh wow.

That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Oh wow.

Radious' team has created 113 new units as of March 16th. Not only that, but (if I recall correctly) your units are of noticeably higher quality than the ones CA produces. Furthermore, CA has several team members who work on units, rather than just a single person doing it as a hobby.

So, yes, the amount of time and potential cost of creating 20-30 new units, most of which are shared between multiple factions, is negligible for CA, especially considering they can easily make up those costs with far more indepth and complex DLC.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    Radious' team has created 113 new units as of March 16th. Not only that, but (if I recall correctly) your units are of noticeably higher quality than the ones CA produces. Furthermore, CA has several team members who work on units, rather than just a single person doing it as a hobby.

So, yes, the amount of time and potential cost of creating 20-30 new units, most of which are shared between multiple factions, is negligible for CA, especially considering they can easily make up those costs with far more indepth and complex DLC.
    I guess I took negligible too literally, it isn't that hard I suppose to make a few units.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    I guess I took negligible too literally, it isn't that hard I suppose to make a few units.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply your work was trivial or anything. I just meant to say that, many of the things modders do, CA can do far more easily, though not necessarily with as high quality each time. Considering the plethora of new units that modders make completely for free, I find it disingenuous for CA to charge $8 for three factions and a couple dozen generic units.

To be fair, if they insist on doing faction DLC, this sort is almost okay. It reminds me of the Ikko Ikki or Hattori. Hattori units all had Kisho training and could be deployed anywhere outside of the enemy's deployment zone, thus making that faction actually have a unique style of combat. But the faction was still pretty much the same on the campaign map.

But still, I find this just... Disappointing. If they could find a way to more freely open this sort of thin up to modders, then modders could do this for no cost, make factions available and help make them all unique, while CA could focus on adding real changes to the system in the form of DLC. Entire new campaigns, new mechanics like the naval bombardment or railroads of FotS, while also doing some small DLC like the Blood pack or new music.

That's what I think DLC should be. Things that are completely optional and don't affect the core gameplay at all (Blood, music) and/or real, substantial changes that actually innovate and add to the game. (Campaigns, new features.) Or a mix of both. (Fantasy stuff that modders couldn't add. Less "Snake catapults" more "Centaurs and sea monsters.")

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

I would actually think the opposite. DLCs that add new mechanics seem a little extortionate, you already bought the game but we can make it twice as good if you only give us some dollas. At least with faction and unit packs they are optional, it's still the same game so if you can't or don't want to buy extra content you aren't missing out massively.

If a DLC adds new mechanics that drastically improve gameplay then you would NEED to buy it and I would be much more concerned about cut content then. You may be made about them leaving the Celts out of release but if they had left the family tree out? At least the Celtic factions are something you wouldn't miss.
    Last edited by Sebidee; March 22, 2015 at 08:30 PM.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

I think new mechanics are a great addition, as long as they aren't blatantly missing from the base game.

Like, for example, Paradox forbids you from playing as Muslims in CK II at first. Then they add it later, but you have to purchase it. This, in my opinion, is bad DLC.

But, on the other end, Paradox adds a nation creator, and a randomized New World setting for EUIV. These are things that don't feel like they inherently belong in the base game, but they still add a significant new mechanic to the game, but one that doesn't really diminish the base game for people who don't have it.

Fall of the Samurai is a good example of this as well. It's an entirely separate campaign that adds several new features, that simply wouldn't really apply to the base game. Naval bombardment and trains, namely. However, they do change up the gameplay, and they fit with the new setting. On top of this, for naval bombardment at least, you can mod it into the base game!

These are good DLC, I feel. They aren't blatant rip offs, or things that were previously lacking from the base game, but they still add completely new ways to play.

Imperator Artorius's Avatar Miles

In the ideal world, CA would leave things such as new unit and faction packs to the modders and create things that modders currently cannot i.e. entirely new campaign maps for example a really detailed map focused on the British Isles, Arthurian themed for instance. That way the two are not in direct competition and they both stick to what they are best at or are at least able to do.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Quote Originally Posted by Renown View Post

I was actually on these forums when Kingdoms was the game to end all games. I remember feeling blessed that Teutonic castles had their own textures. Now we get unique cities of grandeur. How many cultures were in Mesopotamia? 3. Teutonic was a massive deal because it had Lithuanian, Teutonic, Khanate, Pole and Russian. 5. The major selling point on an advertisement level of Teutonic were the Lithuanians and their guerrilla war-fare and war forks. Rose-tinted indeed.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; March 22, 2015 at 10:47 PM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

I can compare this game to any game I wish, depending on my argument. I used the old game because people always say how that was better. Laugh. We still have more mod accessibility to this game than any other AAA game I've played recently. Think about that alone!

DLC with factions, units, storylines, artwork, buildings, etc... that is all really important to me. I'm glad they sell it because a) its something people want and b) makes them more money.

I WANT CA TO HAVE MORE OF YOUR MONEY. They deserve it. I'm buying their products because I believe in them as a company. I want them to make MORE software for me to play, mod, and enjoy.

I buy DLC for Paradox which sometimes costs just as much (or more!) with the additional amount of content being negligible. Their DLC is almost all easily replicated with mods too... Battlefield... charges you the FULL price of a new game for their premium stuff...

Shadows of Mordor is new, charges you a TON for 1-2 hours (if that) worth of content.

Then there are costume dlcs in numerous games... with character unlocks... I'm just a little amazed people could complain about things like this.

BTW, comparing models from Radius (or other modders) is completely different than units you get in a DLC like this, if only for the basic principle of employment. Sure, you could say just make it 'moddable' but they aren't providing us with a blank check here. They have their vision, and we are paying for it. We are lucky to get to change what we are. The day I'm unable to get my enjoyment out of this series... well so be it... I'll be gone and my money will go else where. End of story. You wont see me jumping onto a friendly space like this and pollute it with negativity. THIS forum is where masters come to build their craft. Respect that.
    Last edited by Renown; March 22, 2015 at 11:55 PM.
    Son of the Ancient Archaon, House of Siblesz

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Oh look, another excuse to wait for Attila: Emperor Edition at 75% off. Thanks SEGA & CA.
    I agree 1000%!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2handedsword.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	730.4 KB 
ID:	323129
    found this on the FB. 2 Handed sword? it would be nice, but it is not not a sword I have seen before, it looks cool :3

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Senator

I like DLCs because it gives you means to show wether you like the game or not. I did not buy any DLC in R2TW (except the preorder bonus) until I found the game playable because of mods. I will not buy any DLC in Attila till the blood DLC arrives.

BTW I don't think it is so easy just to make a "few units". Of course it is relatively easy to copy and paste existing variantmeshes together, at least if you have invested the time to know what to do. Even I can do this now and did it in R2TW and do it in ATW. Thanks to the example of the modders who started it. Another task is to develop new meshes and better textures. I admire modders who are capable of doing this and am grateful for their work. And writing the fundamental data for it is also beyond my capability. What is not excusable too me is that CA made the Celtic units look like the look. Wrong in my opinion. Not that they make it as DLC.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Making units is pretty difficult for individuals. Top Hat was right in saying that it would not be so difficult for a team. From what I've seen of the Celtic units they look pretty spot on, they look a lot like Germanic units as they have leather and chainmail and all that. That's correct, they weren't naked or painted blue at this stage.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast